Unable to sign in to iplayer etc

jltjlt Posts: 8Member
I've changed from BT to plus net and have a BT Youview box. I am unable to sign in to Iplayer, All4 etc even though I can do  this on the computer. When I enter the ALL4 details on the computer I'm directed immediately to my Plusnet account.
How can I solve this or do I have to buy a Plusnet Youview box?
Thanks

Comments

• SarahSarah Posts: 1,249Administrator admin
    Hi @jlt

Welcome to the forum :) 

To clarify, do you have a Plusnet TV subscription or just internet?

As far as we're aware, regardless of the box you have, the players/apps on the box should work without any issues. 

When you enter your details on the computer or mobile device to sign into your BBC iPlayer account bbc.com/account/tv) and enter the code they provide on screen, do you get directed to Plusnet after entering the details? It'd be helpful to know a bit more information about the steps you've taken to get to this issue so we can better understand what is going on.

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • jltjlt Posts: 8Member
    Thanks Sarah,
    I have Plusnet broadband, I do not know whether this will include the TV subscription.
    I entered the details on the computer together with the code on the screen, but do not get directed to Plusnet - nothing happens I just get the sign in page again. When I tried to reset the password with All4 on the computer I was just directed to my account with Plusnet.
    Does this help?
    Thanks

Hi @jlt

A YouView box can work with any internet provider so your players and apps should work fine as long as the box is connected to the internet. Can you confirm that the box is fully connected to the internet either directly to the router or via powerline adapters?

Usually once you enter the code on the BBC site on PC or mobile device, it can take a few seconds for the YV box to receive the login. Does anything happen on the TV screen from the YouView box when you try and log into iPlayer?

For All4, you can just log in using your email address and password linked to your All4 account, are you not getting the option to do this in the All4 player on the YouView box?

Thanks,
    Sarah
    HI,
    Yes it is connected directly to the router.
    What I cannot fathom is that everything worked fine on Wednesday and yet it didn't 24 hours later. I entered the code, but nothing happened, it still shows the sign in page.
    I forgot my password that's why I had to use the computer to reset it. When I did this I was just directed to my account with Plusnet.
    Should I attempt a factory reset or something?
    Many thanks
    Hi @jlt

It may be worth giving Plusnet a call about this since it keeps directing you to the account page on their website when you're trying to do this. As it's doing this on a web browser, it may be something to do with your connection not communicating the log in information to the box. 

A full factory reset will delete your recordings so we would not suggest doing that one. You can try a maintenance mode reset (option 2, keep recordings) instead to see if that improves things however it does sound like a connection issue if you've recently changed providers so it would be best to speak to Plusnet about this first. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Thanks, I've spoken with Plusnet and they say that the BT box, will not work with them. I find this odd as Plus net is part of BT. The BT box is about 6 month old, so I really don't want ot buy a new one. I'll try the maintenance mode reset and see how I get on.
    I can come back to you if there are still problems.
    Thank you.
    Hi @jlt,

Unfortunately Plusnet have provided some incorrect information there. YouView boxes taken from previous subscriptions can be used on any ISP. The only thing we could foresee not working is any Plusnet related content if you have a TV subscription with them now however if this was the case, I feel they would have sent you a Plusnet YouView box instead. 

Hopefully the maintenance mode works otherwise I would suggest trying logging in through a different browser or in incognito mode to see if that makes a difference.

Let us know how you get on. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Thank you, I will do.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,208Member ✭✭✭
    It sounds to me as if the box is hanging on to some BT settings, which is causing the confusion for the box.

We have seen this before, where the transition to a new ISP does not take place cleanly for some reason.

A soft reboot has been reported to clear this in the past, but I endorse the MM 2, which should be more thorough altogether.

There’s no reason boxes should be ISP-specific; Plusnet could have told you that recordings made on BT TV will no longer play, and the box will stay on the BT update schedule and get the facilities BT make available rather than those PlusNet make available, where different in features and/or timescale, but no more than that.
    This is not the YouView that I knew  :'(
    Thanks I'll try that. I can access All4 no problem, but cannot access Iplayer or ITVhub -seems very strange to me.
    I think I'll need to delete the recordings - I din't do that the first time.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,208Member ✭✭✭
    That shouldn’t be necessary, though.
    This is not the YouView that I knew  :'(
    Many thanks for all your advice - it's now sorted. I deleted the recordings, fortunately there were only a few.