My box has stopped working

I have a BT YouView DTR T2100 box with no subscription and I use virgin internet. I have had the box for a few years and no issues. Last night the box froze and I tried turning it on and off but it just goes from the wake up page to then try and update. It also makes an alarm sound in between. I’ve gone into factory reset and none of the options work. The settings reset is the only one but it just keeps looping. Any ideas?

Comments

• SarahSarah Posts: 1,357Administrator admin
    Hi @darrenleeavery
    Welcome to the forum :) 
    When you say you went into a Factory reset, was this through the Menu or through the method as mentioned here? If you've not gone through the Maintenance Mode menu, can you try doing a Maintenance Mode option 2? 
    Thanks,
    Sarah
  • Yes I went through the maintenance mode. I tried selecting all the options but none worked. 
  • John LJohn L Posts: 317Member
    Hi darrenleeavery,
    Good morning. It could very well be a hard drive issue or worse problem hardware faulty. There is a way of fixing if hard drive, but . . .  you will lose all recordings. Worth trying again carefully with maintenance modes before commencing further (!)
    It sounds like corrupted file partition that can't be fixed within box - has to be reformatted via home pc. The partitions have to then be configured.  I have repaired one Youview hard drive from a Talk Talk pvr this way some time back. If you need more info please message me & I will try & help you. Can't promise it will solve problem, but worth a try. John L
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,249Member ✭✭✭
    edited 14 November 2019, 12:16PM
    @darrenleeavery
    If you follow @John L’s advice, put the hard drive back in the YouView box after the reformat, if the reformat is successful, and the box will repartition it for you.
    This might at last be getting back to the YouView that I knew.  :|
    Holding my breath....
    Hi Roy,
    When I repaired hard drive I had to follow instructions to repartition drive manually myself. It depends on state of the drive. If the Youview firmware can't find the "boot sector" of the 6 or so partitions, it will need more work. Yes, if it is a simple problem, the youview box should hopefully reformat correctly automatically. But if not, you still need to format drive in linux file format, which you can do with free software that can be downloaded from web. It worked for me when the Talk Talk box wouldn't boot up even with Youview reformat. All good fun! Lets hope he can fix his box the easy way. John L
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,962Member ✭✭✭
    edited 14 November 2019, 3:09PM
    John L said:
     Lets hope he can fix his box the easy way. John L
    The "easy" way:

Image result for recycle bin
    Always try to be positive . . . only use the recycle bin if needed as last resort . . .
    John L

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,249Member ✭✭✭
    edited 14 November 2019, 7:13PM
    John L said:
    Hi Roy,
    When I repaired hard drive I had to follow instructions to repartition drive manually myself. It depends on state of the drive. If the Youview firmware can't find the "boot sector" of the 6 or so partitions, it will need more work. Yes, if it is a simple problem, the youview box should hopefully reformat correctly automatically. But if not, you still need to format drive in linux file format, which you can do with free software that can be downloaded from web. It worked for me when the Talk Talk box wouldn't boot up even with Youview reformat. All good fun! Lets hope he can fix his box the easy way. John L
    Hi @John L

How did you discover what the properties of the 6 or so partitions that you needed to create would be?
    This might at last be getting back to the YouView that I knew.  :|
    Holding my breath....