TV/Talktalk box/DVD connections

chase17chase17 Member Posts: 2
Good evening, i recently bought a new smart tv which does not have a scart connection only HDMI. I also have a Talktalk box and a DVD player. My DVD player does not have an HDMI socket . Can onyone tell me how I can connect my DVD? I dont know much about these things. Any advise would be appreciated. 
Many thanks 

Comments

• Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 300 ✭✭
    Hi. This is a forum for discussing Youview related issues so your DVD connection is outside these parameters.
    However if you search for Scart  to HDMI converter you should find a solution.
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 500 ✭✭
    You can't other than the method just suggested. Best option is a new Blu-Ray/DVD player with HDMI connection.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 333
    I really wouldn't bother with Blu-ray, even though it's a rapidly becoming obsolete platform it's still ridiculously overpriced. You can still pick up a hdmi player from Argos for around £30.
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,024 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 January 2020, 10:01AM
    @chase17

Yes, as an ‘how do I connect my DVD player to my TV?’ question, it is, as @Stevef_fr8ys says, not one we would deal with here.

What I suggest is that you find a Community dedicated to your TV, and ask the question there. And It might be a good idea to actually say what make and model of TV, and what make and model of DVD player, are involved, so people can figure out what all your options are.

Bearing in mind that the upper bound of the cost of any converter solution is the £30 that @kodikid suggests will snag you a DVD player with HDMI,  less whatever faff and inconvenience a converter solution might bring, plus something for the marked inferiority of any analogue transfer in a world of digital.

Where a 4K TV has to invent 15 pixels for every one that a DVD player actually passes it, and analogue means that a good proportion of the starting pixels are a bit wrong in the first place  :p
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 613 ✭✭
    Totally agree that chase17 needs to ask questions on another fourm. Hope chase17 you find a solution. 

But just for info, for anyone on forum needing adaptor.  I think you will find they are a lot cheaper. Purchased mine last year on EBay from UK supplier for £4.99, now £5.38. 
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-to-3-RCA-CVBS-Full-HD-Video-1080P-AV-Scart-Composite-Converter-Adapter/163193956078?hash=item25ff1e26ee:g:dG0AAOSwAopbbCZN
    Works brilliantly with my Panasonic PVR that only has HDMI output for copying from HDMI to Scart to DVD recorder. I also purchased a composite to Scart lead for around £3. This is a HDMI to Scart,  They do also do devices the other way round: Scart to HDMi if anyone needs one! Should be around same price. I had a faulty one that had interference problems on picture that was more expensive, the cheaper performs better. It's all trial & error. Happy recording! John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
    Re asking a question Have to disagree, dont believe Chase17 "stumbled " across this site so must have some youview connection, even so helping other's (youview or not,) can't be a bad thing to do.
    edited 4 January 2020, 5:08PM
    kodikid said:
    Re asking a question Have to disagree, dont believe Chase17 "stumbled " across this site so must have some youview connection, even so helping other's (youview or not,) can't be a bad thing to do.
    @kodikid

Nobody said he stumbled across this Community; he has a YouView box, so it would be natural to come here, as many people do, for a question of the setup of that box with his new TV.  But that seems to have been uneventful, and the DVD player out of scope.

But there are a couple of reasons helping with this can be a bad thing to do; take the current thread from @Alex Collett, who couldn’t get his YouView box connected to his new EE router, via a TP-Link nanorouter. Something we would happily start to tackle, as running a YouView box over a TP-Link instead of an Ethernet cable is well in scope for us.

But it looks like there is something funny with pairing the TP-Link with the EE router, so I have suggested he would be better served asking about this on the EE Community, where they will understand the ins and outs of this router.

And not just because the router to nanorouter we have teased the problem out to be is independent of the YouView box. :p

And of course to come back here once that issue is fixed, if there is still something else that means the YouView box still can’t connect. 

The other reason it can be bad is that once we helped a YouView user get their itv Hub working, and for some reason that reply shot to the top of Google’s rankings, so every waif and stray who had a problem with their itv Hub, on whatever device, made a beeline to the Community. 

If we’d helped them - if we even could - I think we’d still be doing it today. And thus diverting resources from the YouView problems we are here to focus on, as well as keeping those people from where they should have been going, to get possibly much better advice about their issues, on devices we are not familiar with.
    Oops my bad
    kodikid said:
    Oops my bad
    No worries. I think we all feel a bit bad about having to do that, and usually supply a sly bit of help with such off-topic issues, but we mustn’t be seen welcoming it......  o:)>:)
  • chase17chase17 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for all the comments. Apologies for using the wrong platform to ask for help with my querie.
    I have noted all that has been said and will look for a more suitable place for help.

Thanks again
    Why is it that if someone comes here for help, albeit not specific to Youview, that people can't help?
    From what's been posted here @chase17 probably could use a component to HDMI converter to overcome their problem, costing <£10.
    That wasn't hard was it.
    I see the same reaction on the BT residential forum if a business user posts a question. If it's simple to answer why not just do it rather than brushing them aside!
    edited 5 January 2020, 12:32PM
    OK then, @Tim C; what detergent would you recommend we use with our washing machine? (Sliding all at once down the slippery slope that would thus be opened up?)  :p

Though on the other hand, I note that the Community Guidelines only say 
    ‘This community is the place for our viewers to ask for help, share information and take part in discussions’.

So I guess the price of entry is just to have a YouView device, no matter what you ask about. And since I do, my query above would be perfectly legitimate. As was the one about his DVD from @chase17, after all.....
    What do they say about sarcasm - lowest form of wit I believe.
    I'll leave it at that and probably not bother coming here again.

Tim C said:
    What do they say about sarcasm - lowest form of wit I believe.
    I'll leave it at that and probably not bother coming here again.

Hi @Tim C

That wasn’t sarcasm - it was a deadly serious reductio ad absurdum.

However, if you reread my post, I added a bit after looking through the T&Cs and Community Guidelines and (slightly to my dismay) there’s nothing about what is on and off topic here.

I was sure there used to be - but either I imagined it, or YouView widened the goalposts  :'(