Britbox

DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
Who's been enjoying this service then. I have been loving classic Dr who to be honest on here. Its not bad for £5.99 at least there is more than one stream. Its a shame Netflix isn't still available for £5.99. At the last Netflix price increase I decided I had enough of the price rises so this seemed worth a punt with some of the money I have saved. 

Comments

• John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 924 ✭✭

Hi Daniel,

I think it is a “wonderful service” if that is what you wish as an everyday TV user. If like me, you have a large library of recordings you are very happy with your vast archive kept over the years from recordings or you have not thrown away DVD’s/Blu-Rays. It just seems another money spinner to watch extra runs of repeats? We used to joke about the BBC with their new season of repeats. Yes, I appreciate not everyone keeps recordings or maybe some users don’t even hit the record button. Also takes up less space & yes it is nice to use a TV menu to find programmes. Yes they may have a few new items included, but I get the impression not much, maybe I am missing something from the advertising material? I love using YouTube, one of the best streaming channels that are free. Hopefully YouTube will still stay free.

I agree with regards Netflix, they seem very greedy at putting prices up. Going off subject slightly, but still relating to your point, there is only so much money the consumer can afford each month. It all mounts up. I think Britbox should be free & built into BBC iPlayer. There used to be a lot more material, inc. Old recordings of Doctor Who. No wonder a lot of people are in debt & live on credit cards all the time.  It’s just more money to burn each month. I’m just hoping that when I eventually reach 75, that the TV licence will still be free, looks like this is going to be binned at some point. What next? Does anyone else agree with me?  John L

Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • poppasmurfpoppasmurf Member Posts: 3
    edited 20 January 2020, 6:17PM
    John L said:

+ Does anyone else agree with me?  John L

Certainly not.
    Why on earth should Britbox be free?  It's a commercial project by BBC, ITV, C4 and C5.  If it turns out to be a decent product, then it will succeed and turn in a profit for its owners, which are certainly not the TV licence payers.
    As for the over 75's getting a free TV licence - that's the province of the government, not the BBC licence payer.
    I'm a pensioner myself, and I am rather fed up with many of my compatriots moaning about losing their free TV licences whilst quaffing their wine in the Bistro or their cheap pint in Wetherspoons.  It was the main topic of conversation as we all sat outside our £16k plus caravans last summer!  
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭
    John L said:

+ Does anyone else agree with me?  John L

Certainly not.
    Why on earth should Britbox be free?  It's a commercial project by BBC, ITV, C4 and C5.  If it turns out to be a decent product, then it will succeed and turn in a profit for its owners, which are certainly not the TV licence payers.
    As for the over 75's getting a free TV licence - that's the province of the government, not the BBC licence payer.
    I'm a pensioner myself, and I am rather fed up with many of my compatriots moaning about losing their free TV licences whilst quaffing their wine in the Bistro or their cheap pint in Wetherspoons.  It was the main topic of conversation as we all sat outside our £16k plus caravans last summer!  

Best post for a long time. 
    Thank you @poppasmurf and thanks for joining the forum to post it.
    Welcome  :)
    Hi Poppasmurf, do you work for the BBC? (Only joking) + welcome to the Youview forum.

My Mother has a free license & she certainly can't afford to "quaff in wine" poppasmurf! If only she could!! Not all pensioners are that well off. I do know that my Mother's friends might be able to afford the loss of a free license. Without being in any way rude to you, I can only assume you have a very good pension. I'm talking from a low earner (myself made redundant on very very low income + an OAP also on low pension). So no I am fed up with pensioners who moan at those who can't afford the "little luxuries" in life (that yes we often take for granted)! You spend your whole life working hard for the state pension (appreciate this is not Youview topic but answering your point). I can fully understand  your viewpoint if finances don't affect you in the same way. Glad you enjoy your caravan last year.  

If you need any help with your Youview box, hopefully someone on the forum, inc. myself can help you.  John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • croftcroft Member Posts: 60
    Is it available on YouView yet....
    thanks 
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 January 2020, 8:31PM
    John L said:
    I think Britbox should be free & built into BBC iPlayer.

Does anyone else agree with me?  John L

No, I personally don't agree.

For decades the BBC has had the TV licence fee revenue in one hand and commercial revenue from its commercial arm in the other, currently called BBC Studios.

Britbox both here and in the US falls outside of the remit of the licence fee as its a commercial venture. It is an ITV owned company. They own 90% of the operation with the remaining 10% owned by the BBC. So no, as its a commercial product I don't think it should be free and am looking forward to seeing it launch on YouView.

I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping the youview app is a lot better than the one on my Samsung TV. The one on there if you leave a episode for to long it goes back to the beginning. Pausing is fine but if you say turn it off for half a hour but where in the middle of a episode it goes back to the beginning upon restart which to me is the only flaw so far. I may not necessarily keep it though because while I'm enjoying doctor who at the end of the day content is king and they need to constantly keep adding to the service. As long as they do this and add decent programming I will keep it as long as the price doesn't exceed the current price because that's as much worth I think it is at present. It's a very good start and I am enjoying the service but improvements are needed. A good example would be every episode of EastEnders for the soap fans. While I'm sure everyone has a favourite it seams like a good idea to have old episodes of soaps on it because even though I think there junk let's face it there really popular and I'm sure there will be people who want to relive there younger years and watch characters or soaps past. 
  • robotmanrobotman Member Posts: 201
    I signed up for Britbox at the beginning when loads of material was being added. Those additions are now only being added to with a small trickle of shows. Two programmes I had remaining to watch were the reruns of Ashes to Ashes & Life on Mars. They are now freely available on the iplayer which meant I was able to cancel Britbox before Christmas. Personally I find it an unattractive option with so much of the BBC material also on BBC iplayer now. Can't say I'm a huge fan of ITV programming.
    "Flash, Flash, I love you, but we only have 14 hours to save the Earth"
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭
    Could not agree more, iplayer is all you need for content you have already paid for through your tv license. Admittedly no masked singer but I'll live.
    Deacon Blue hit from October 88
    kodikid said:
    Could not agree more, iplayer is all you need for content you have already paid for through your tv license. Admittedly no masked singer but I'll live.
    Just make sure you watch the content on iPlayer quickly before they transfer it onto Britbox!
    The clocks ticking . . . 
    I have got so much to watch from recordings on various pvrs inc Youview + "the old fashioned vintage" what do they call them? . . . DVD's! Oh happy days. John L
  • JohnGJohnG Member Posts: 1
    While of little interest to me, Britbox has been a surprising hit with my elderly parents. The picture quality is better than live TV, and there are no adverts either. Any news on when it will be appearing as an option on YouView? I heard rumours it was due before the end of 2019, but haven't seen any updates recently.
    Might arrive in one big hit with now tv.
    edited 22 January 2020, 1:08AM
    JohnL said:
    Just make sure you watch the content on iPlayer quickly before they transfer it onto Britbox!
    The clocks ticking . . . 

Thats interesting as all BBC iPlayer content clearly lists its expiry date? Some are only a week, some are 18 months, with plenty inbetween, then some aren't on there at all... Which is no different to any other platform.
    Morning John. Point taken, must admit not sure what the point of britbox is but will certainly make use of the free trial when it arrives on youview. There are lots of classic dramas from the 80's/90's that I would subscribe for but not reruns of Dr Who etc..
    edited 22 January 2020, 12:35PM
    Hi kodokid, It's very tempting when you see the icon on your tv menu. Some of the new tv's have Britbox already on their range of Apps. Not sure when Youview are going to release it.
    One of our new tv's has the Britbox app showing on row of apps, I honestly don't have the time to watch more content. There's only so many hours in a day.

If you do decide to try it out, but don't forget to cancel your credit card (I'm sure they ask for advance payment details!)  before the trial is over, a lot of users will forget & get billed.  Have a good day. John L
    I'm honestly of the opinion the more Players and apps that join YouView the better, so that users are presented with a choice. Surely not a bad thing?
    Remember when there was only 4 TV channels,  people would marvel at the choice the Americans had.
    Now we have literally hundreds to choose from but none but a few worth watching, 
     less is more, careful what you wish for.
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Member, Super User Posts: 869 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 January 2020, 10:58AM
    I remember when there were just two channels - Channel 1 and channel 9, denoted by where you had to turn the rotary tuning knob.
    For those who are unclear channel 1 was BBC and channel 9 was ITV :)
    John.
    This was our first telly, and I was seven when my dad bought it in 1961!

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    edited 24 January 2020, 12:14PM
    That tv would make a brilliant fish tank 🐟
    Thats funny I thought you'd prefer watching it.  :D