Now tv

deedee36deedee36 Member Posts: 77
anyone now when the now tv live channels will appear?

Comments

• kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭
    That my friend is the 64 thousand dollar question. 
    First it was end of 2018
    Then beginning of the football season 
    Then end of 2019
    Now apparently it's undergoing trials. 
    Literally a case of wait and see.
    Deacon Blue hit from October 88
  • deedee36deedee36 Member Posts: 77
    Thanks for your reply 
  • croftcroft Member Posts: 60
    Cannot be long now ??
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭
    Its been ready for quite some time apparently, but Sky have chosen not to release it yet. Bearing in mind it is a Sky app.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 January 2020, 5:24PM
    Visionman said:
    Its been ready for quite some time apparently, but Sky have chosen not to release it yet. Bearing in mind it is a Sky app.
    Don’t believe everything you read/hear. My guess would be end of March/early April.
    I agree, this way Sky can entice more to its Sky sports if English clubs are thriving in Europe. 
    edited 29 January 2020, 7:37PM
    kodikid said:
    I agree, this way Sky can entice more to its Sky sports if English clubs are thriving in Europe. 

Saying BT Sport owns those broadcasting rights that would be rather hard.   :o
    That's the point,  BT and Sky are sharing content so Sky will be in a position to add UCL to it's portfolio. 
    edited 30 January 2020, 1:02PM

And now 'sort of' confirmed. BT announced it will launch NowTV before the end of Q4. So that means end of March release date (or close ish lol).

https://www.rxtvlog.com/2020/01/bt-confirms-new-now-tv-launch-timescale.html

'In addition, we will launch Sky’s NOW TV service to BT TV customers before the end of Q4.'

• croftcroft Member Posts: 60
    Been confirmed today that it’s coming before end of March....
    Where was this confirmed 
    deedee36 said:
    Where was this confirmed 

See my link above. Quoted by Phillip Jansen (BT CEO) on BT's trading update today.
    Sorry yes just seen this 
    is it to be app based they way now tv has
    sky Cinema at the minute??
    edited 30 January 2020, 3:47PM
    deedee36 said:
    Sorry yes just seen this 
    is it to be app based they way now tv has
    sky Cinema at the minute??

They haven't given proper detail out yet but there has been some information and some wrong access given that lets people pretty much know how it will work.

There will be an app like there is now but it will be more like the interface you get on the app on the other devices giving the full suite of channels but (for BTTV customers) there will also be all the channels in the EPG which will allow recording of the channels BUT to get the EPG variants you have to purchase your access direct through BT (therefore probably not the discount chances that most people with NowTV take advantage of). The other sticking point is a lot of SKY's entertainment channels are already covered by BT's extra channels so not sure if anything will change there or if you will just get both duplicate channels.

Please be aware this information has been put together by 1) some people were mistakenly given access to the full app for about half a day and some videos were done (now removed) and 2) putting together the information in BT's tariff information that quotes about NowTV. Therefore obviously things could change but it all seems to make sense :)

Example taken from the BT terms and conditions :-

https://www.bt.com/terms/post3rdjuly2016tv.html

12.  Terms for NOW TV on the service with BT billing

(e) If you have any NOW TV subscriptions that we do not bill you for (for example, content taken via another third party provider that is not BT or NOW TV), you cannot watch that content through your set-top-box electronic programme guide. Instead, you will need to login to the NOW TV app on the set-top-box or another device.

(f) If you have a discount on a NOW TV subscription, you can’t move that across to us.

(g) If you have a NOW TV subscription that you have paid for upfront, you can watch that content on BT TV. Once that NOW TV subscription has expired, you will automatically move to our pricing as set out in our Tariff Guide.

Hmmm, dont think I've ever continually paid full asking price for a now pass, they always throw in a discount if you attempt to leave. I'm thinking being tied to BT and being able to record Now tv might be an expense too far.
    kodikid said:
    Hmmm, dont think I've ever continually paid full asking price for a now pass, they always throw in a discount if you attempt to leave. I'm thinking being tied to BT and being able to record Now tv might be an expense too far.

Then you won't do it then will you?
    Not just me but in all likelihood the bulk of Now subscribers, just doesn't make economic sense. Personally think PVR usage is on the decline anyway. 
    Thats actually true.
    edited 31 January 2020, 7:13AM
    It is possible they will do the sky trick and maybe bundle a package with all the sports (BT Sports, SKY Sports pass, maybe Eurosport) for a set price because they can discount BT Sports to whatever they want so make it seem like a decent deal. They could maybe do the same with entertainment (Sky entertainment pass plus some of there extra channels). Films is a bit harder but then who really wants to record a film when you can just have it on catch-up. Sports and to a lesser degree entertainment still has a reasonable reason for recording. Who knows.