Remote recording

I cannot seem to get my phone app to send record programme to the box whilst out i thought it was me but i have unistalled my app reinstalled it and still nothing.
Tagged:

Comments

• John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 656 ✭✭
    Read the forum complaints . . . Welcome to the forum. I would use your remote control in the meantime. John  L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 February 2020, 10:36AM
    I cannot seem to get my phone app to send record programme to the box whilst out i thought it was me but i have unistalled my app reinstalled it and still nothing.

The response from @John L is not very helpful.
    What he is referring to is this announcement that in future the app will only be available to BT subscribers: https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/7605674/important-information-regarding-the-mobile-app

So the first question @abspearson is "are you with BT?"
    If so members of this forum may be able to help you resolve your problem.

Good morning Jimb, some of us including myself since the announcement this week, can't get their Remote Apps to work anymore. I have tried to reset my Remote & it no long functions.  I have uninstalled/repaired/cleared the cache, done some shopping & come back. Still not able to resolve. Hence the problem. If you are with BT, hopefully no problems. Perhaps you may have a solution to help non subscribers. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • abspearsonabspearson Member Posts: 3
    Yes im with bt ive done a box update too
  • abspearsonabspearson Member Posts: 3
    Thanks @John L but as im always at work its abit hard to use my remote control thats why i use the app on my phone, i cant even pair my phone with the box now.
    Thanks @John L but as im always at work its abit hard to use my remote control thats why i use the app on my phone, i cant even pair my phone with the box now.
    No problem abspeason. Sorry I can't help you. I'm sure there will be a solution for everyone in "the same boat" very soon. I can't get mine to work. Just needs someone to write a third party app on Google Play or a solution from the Hardware/Software company that consumers purchased their boxes from/put their trust in. Have a good day. John L
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Member, Super User Posts: 840 ✭✭✭
    John L said:
    No problem abspeason. Sorry I can't help you. I'm sure there will be a solution for everyone in "the same boat" very soon. I can't get mine to work. Just needs someone to write a third party app on Google Play or a solution from the Hardware/Software company that consumers purchased their boxes from/put their trust in. Have a good day. John L
    Whilst I admire your enthusiasm and expectation @John L there is a problem here in as much as YouView would have to open up their code base, or part of it, to enable third parties to provide a viable app. Any third party would also have to provide a back end server to store requests for "dark boxes" whilst waiting for them to come back online. That's a considerable investment in time and resources, and of course, reinvents a system that is working and in place today,

I don't think YouView are likely to open up their code base - so a non starter in my opinion!

John
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    John L said:
    ...I'm sure there will be a solution for everyone in "the same boat" very soon.
    You don't seem to have understood what's going on.
    BT are the dominant partner (and indeed may well take total control of YouView in the near future). It seems very likely that they have put pressure on YouView to give them sole access to the app, hence giving them a Unique Selling Proposition.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 366
    This is not new. The only reason freeview play came into existence was because of BT/Talk Talk 
    "hijacking" youview. Looks like the days of being able to set your box on the bus for free are over, unless freeview rises to the occasion. 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 February 2020, 2:34PM
    jimb said:
    John L said:
    BT are the dominant partner (and indeed may well take total control of YouView in the near future). It seems very likely that they have put pressure on YouView to give them sole access to the app, hence giving them a Unique Selling Proposition.

@Jimb - Can you show any proof of that. I would suggest it is more that all the other partners (there were 7) how now pulled their funding and YouView now have a very small income source from which to support its 'retail' service (BT have obviously said they want their funding only spent on work for them - Obviously having their own separate app they wouldn't want any of their funding spent on support for someone else's app), probably mainly from the sale of new boxes and can't afford to spend money on development and support of an app (we saw how changes to the Android and iOS operating systems caused issues that needed an updated app) and back end servers (BT has its own infrastructure separate to YouView's). If you can show how the new funding arrangement (the last one ran out nearly a year ago and up to then both times it was renewed there was pretty much full disclosure about how it was working and yet this time we have seen nothing) is set up I would be very pleased to read the detail.
    jimb said:
    John L said:
    "You don't seem to have understood what's going on".

Whether I understand or don't fully understand is not the point. If a Consumer purchases a Youview box from shops or has an existing box, most are purchasing with the Remote feature in mind. I only use mine occasionally, but it is an excellent feature which I was hoping to use more in the future.
    We seem to be learning more this week. With regards the background of the server etc, this is an issue really that BT & Youview need to resolve quickly. This is not the consumers fault at the end of the day. It just shows the oversight with the big companies out there. John L

edited 6 February 2020, 2:44PM
    John L said:
    jimb said:
    John L said:
    "You don't seem to have understood what's going on".

Whether I understand or don't fully understand is not the point. If a Consumer purchases a Youview box from shops or has an existing box, most are purchasing with the Remote feature in mind. I only use mine occasionally, but it is an excellent feature which I was hoping to use more in the future.
    We seem to be learning more this week. With regards the background of the server etc, this is an issue really that BT & Youview need to resolve quickly. This is not the consumers fault at the end of the day. It just shows the oversight with the big companies out there. John L

Why would BT do anything about this. It is up to YouView/TalkTalk to support their customers. BT supply their BTTV service (whose GUI happens to be built on the YouView software) to its customers and that is working as expected (they support and work on their own app in house and over its own infrastructure). They pay YouView to develop the software for BT's own service and boxes. Other YouView customers may benefit from some of the enhancements BT gets developed for itself but that is just a side benefit. It is not up to BT to prop up a free service that it is no longer a 1 in 7 partner of. Maybe you should be asking BBC/ITV/CH4/CH5/Arqiva what they are doing about this?
    scott said:
    jimb said:
    John L said:

@Jimb - Can you show any proof of that...
    @scott I assume you're referring to "may well take total control of YouView in the near future" .
    Apologies - no of course I can't show any proof of that.  :(
    But I suspect that you may have read a lot of speculation that this may happen.
    Possibly all just scaremongering - if so I plead guilty  :D  
    We shall see. 
    But it's strange that TalkTalk have been elbowed out as well as retail users.
    John L said:
    ...With regards the background of the server etc, this is an issue really that BT & Youview need to resolve quickly...
    Please explain.
    edited 6 February 2020, 3:29PM
    jimb said:
    scott said:
    jimb said:
    John L said:

@Jimb - Can you show any proof of that...
    @scott I assume you're referring to "may well take total control of YouView in the near future" .
    Apologies - no of course I can't show any proof of that.  :(
    But I suspect that you may have read a lot of speculation that this may happen.
    Possibly all just scaremongering - if so I plead guilty  :D  
    We shall see. 
    But it's strange that TalkTalk have been elbowed out as well as retail users.

@Jimb It was more the 'put pressure on YouView to give them sole access to the app' that I was wanting proof of.

My thoughts (and they are only my thought's) are that all partners except BT (and possibly TalkTalk in a very small way) have pulled funding and YouView are looking for a way to survive without that funding, that could mean that they look to BT to take sole control (we know that was discussed a while back) as BT need YouView as it is its GUI backbone for it's TV service, but as that hasn't happened already I would assume YouView are trying a different plan keeping themselves slightly open to offers from end suppliers and selling the YouView GUI knowing they will be developing it anyway for BT. But obviously they may need to trim all costs back to allow them to do that and that means anything not absolutely essential to the running has to go.

Of course only YouView know the truth and they could surprise us all with a completely different plan but seeing as the pace YouView has moved in the last 8 years has been nothing short of snails I can't see it myself at the minute :)

scott said:

@Jimb It was more the 'put pressure on YouView to give them sole access to the app' that I was wanting proof of.

Sorry - jumped to the wrong conclusion.
    Two bits of speculation for the price of one  :)
    But why would YouView close down a highly valued resource rather than just let it carry on - even if it was "unsupported"?
    Maybe there's a technical reason for this but (in my opinion) I think it's just a power grab by BT.
    jimb said:
    John L said:

I think to all intents and purposes that BT already "own" YouView under the floating charge debenture used to secure a loan from BT against all of YouViews Intellectual property rights. (If YouView were to default for instance)

But let's not go there! (Note:- all this information is freely available in the public domain.)

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    Anaglypta said:

I think to all intents and purposes that BT already "own" YouView under the floating charge debenture used to secure a loan from BT against all of YouViews Intellectual property rights. (If YouView were to default for instance)

But let's not go there! (Note:- all this information is freely available in the public domain.)

John.
    Oh please do go there!
    Tell us more.  :)
    edited 6 February 2020, 5:20PM
    Anaglypta said:
    jimb said:
    John L said:

John.

You mean the one in July 2014 :) and the ever expanding loan facility ;)

It is there for everyone to see as any PLC is

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07308805

As I said, in the public domain.

It does sometimes become a little awkward, though, if someone in your group of friends lends you a shed load of money and then later asks you to do something for them. You can always refuse, but you have the perceived threat that they may foreclose on you. So it's not always ideal to get help too close to home.

John.
    The problem is with YouView's plans anyone other than someone so close to home may well have foreclosed a long time ago. As soon as Freeview Play was formed and didn't die in its first throws it was always going to be a massive uphill struggle.
    edited 6 February 2020, 6:28PM
    scott said:

You mean the one in July 2014 :) and the ever expanding loan facility ;)

It is there for everyone to see as any PLC is

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07308805

To save others searching I presume it's this:

£62 million and indeed expanding  :o
    TalkTalk also involved, but much less than BT?

• redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭
    Hey @Sarah can you help the OP here? We know that the app is to be withdrawn at the end of March, but should it not remain fully functional until then?

@abspearson As a BT customer do you not have access to the BT TV app, which provides similar functionality?
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,616 admin
    redchiz said:
    Hey @Sarah can you help the OP here? We know that the app is to be withdrawn at the end of March, but should it not remain fully functional until then?

@abspearson As a BT customer do you not have access to the BT TV app, which provides similar functionality?
    Hiya,
    Since we are phasing out support, some will find that they lose functionality of the app earlier than others with the final support ending on the 31st March. 
    @abspearson if you have a BT TV subscription, you can instead access the BT TV app which will allow you to book recordings to your YouView box. You just need your BT ID to log into it with. 
    Thanks,
    Sarah

jimb said:

... BT are the dominant partner (and indeed may well take total control of YouView in the near future). It seems very likely that they have put pressure on YouView to give them sole access to the app, hence giving them a USP. 
    Happy to admit that I was talking b*****x.
    And very surprised by the news.  :o
    edited 16 March 2020, 10:53PM
    👍😎
    kodikid said:
    👍😎
    Your original post was a little bit patronising but I completely agree with it. 
    And who cares about this app right now when we're probably all going to be staying at home  :(
    Fair point but....
    Does no one else see the irony or indeed the lunacy of discussing a remote app in this frightening era of self isolation 🤭