No Series Record

NiggleNiggle Member Posts: 78
Hi,

For the past 2 or 3 weeks the series record option has stopped working on my T2100.  When pressing record on a program that's part of a series, the box asks whether to record the program or the series, but after selecting the series, only the single record icon is shown on the program, and only that one program is recorded.

Today I tried a Maintenence option 4 reset, but the problem persists.  Tried series record on this afternoon's The Voice, and tomorrow's Cold Feet, but both are only displaying the single record red icon.

Since an option 4 factory reset didn't help, I'm wondering if this is a more widespread issue with the broadcast data.  Anyone else seen this?

Thanks,
Nigel

Comments

• John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 544 ✭✭
    Welcome to the forum.
    Have you tried option 2? Option 4 is really a Usb/recovery option, not factory reset. Have another go, if still a problem, contact Youview customer services tomorrow morning. Please let the forum know how you get on. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • NiggleNiggle Member Posts: 78
    John, thanks. I opted for option 4, thinking it was more extreme than option 2.  I'll give option 2 a whirl ... 
    Worth a try Niggle. Hopefully this resolve problem. Could be a bug in software somewhere. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
    Unfortunately no joy after option 2 either.  Nigel
    edited 10 February 2020, 1:54PM
    Hi Niggle, thank you letting us know. Sorry it didn't work. I would contact Youview support team tomorrow morning for more advice. If you have a warranty, you might need to return box to retailer, unless this is via Subscription, then contact your ISP for help. Good luck! John L
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,537 admin
    Hi @Niggle

Apologies for not getting to your post sooner. 

If you're still experiencing this problem on your box, can you please confirm the following info:
    • Box software version (press Help and then Info on your remote)
    • Examples of programmes you've not been able to set as a series recording including the Channel (including if it's HD, +1 etc) and programme name .
    • How much space is left on your box - this can be found in the bottom right corner of MyTV
    • After being set as a series recording, do future episodes appear in Scheduled Recordings and then not record or do they not appear at all after the first recording has taken place?
    Once we have a bit more info we can try this on our boxes here.

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Hi Sarah,

Thanks for digging into this.  Everything was working fine until about 3 weeks ago. The box is now running 3.6.168 component and 32.41.0 manufacturer SW, and we have ~35% free space.

After being set as a series recording, it behaves exactly as it would for a single program. The R icon is for a single recording (no shadowing), and once the first recording has been made (sucessfully), the scheduled recording no longer appears.

We only really record from HD and HD+1 channels, but it's become apparent in the last few days that series record doesn't always fail.  It seems to fail on BBC1 HD and ITV1 HD, but not Channel 4 HD.  However I'm not sure it's really that clear-cut, and I'll need to get back to you with specific examples of what works and what doesn't ...

Since I've tried Maintenance Mode 2 and 4, I'm amazed nobody else is seeing this.

Thanks,
    Nigel
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,537 admin
    Hi @Niggle
    Thanks for the added detail for this.

Can you please attempt five software updates in a row on your box? You can do this through Settings > Software Information.

This will allow your box to stand out from all the others data wise so we can then pick it out and check the data it's been sending/receiving for recordings. Please let us know when you've done this so we know roughly what time to check for. 

If you have any further examples of this happening on your box please let us know. Examples including the time/date the recording was set along with the time & date of broadcast/programme name/channel would be particularly useful so we can check to see what the box data says about these events. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    edited 15 February 2020, 7:20PM
    Hi Sarah,

Ok, I've just made 5 SW update attempts, 17:26 today (Friday).

I was going to send you a few examples of programmes that fail.  Unfortunately I can't seem to set any recordings at all, series or one-shot.  Free space is still at around 30%.

I also can't delete any of the 4 or 5 scheduled recordings that are already set up.  These scheduled recordings also survive a maintenence reset (or get restored very quickly from the cloud?).

I've now got a PVR that's lost it's R  ;-)

Thanks,
    Nigel
    Hi Sarah,

In case you get this message, no need to investigate further.

I've splashed out on a Manhattan Freeview Play PVR.

Thanks,
    Nigel
    The BT2100 Pvt still has series record software bug. Any idea when this will be fixed? I have also reported problem direct on trialist website. Thank you. John L
    edited 21 February 2020, 3:59PM
    Niggle said:
    Hi Sarah,

In case you get this message, no need to investigate further.

I've splashed out on a Manhattan Freeview Play PVR.

Thanks,
    Nigel

Hi Nigel,
    Hope the Manhattan Pvt proves more reliable than Youview with regards basic PVR functions within software. Please let the forum know how you get on with it. John L

Hi John,

Early days, but some differences between T3-R and T2100:

T3-R Pros
    --------------
    Definitely snappier menu and guide navigation. Less lag than T2100.
    No subscription channels, since this is a FreeView Play box.  I prefer this.
    Entering a search string is via on-screen keyboard, not 0-9 keys on the remote.  Individual preference, but I prefer this.
    Could be my imagination, but the picture quality just seems a little more vivid and detailed, both live TV and recordings. I have an HD TV (not 4k).
    Supports an on-screen 'channel browser' banner along the bottom of the screen.
    TV guide scrolling is quick, in addition to skipping 24h forwards or backwards and skipping up/down the channel list.  Also has a thumbnail of the program selected.
    When starting an instant record, T3-R will include as much of the program from its buffer, from the point in time you started watching that channel.
    Recordings are shown as a list, rather than tiled thumbnails.  Individual preference, but I find it quicker to navigate.  Selected recording shows a 'watched' progress bar.
    Recordings are categorised as one-off or series.
    Remote provides a 'swap' TV channel button, which toggles between the last two watched channels.
    Remote provides a 'recordings' button, which takes you directly to the recordings menu.
    Configurable skip duration, 10/30/60sec forward, 10/15/30sec backwards.
    True learning remote (so not based on mfgr code), for TV volume, TV mute, TV AV input, and TV on/off.
    Supports 4k 'ultra HD' for sources that are 4k-capable.  Supports both HDR10 and HLG.
    When recording an SD channel, can configure the box to ask whether to record HD instead, or just to always record HD.
    Possible to disable software 'automatic updates'. The default is to check every night, and install if available.

T3-R Cons
    --------------
    No Netflix or Amazon Play apps.  (I hope these get added, but I can get Netflix from my Sony DVD player, so not a deal-breaker.)
    Not possible to access TV Guide or any other T3-R menus, whilst in an iPlayer/ITVHub/All4/My5 session.
    Not possible to hide channels in the TV Guide (although you can delete channels and/or create/edit a channel favourites list).
    The only way to restore deleted channels is by re-tuning.
    No smartphone app, and no support for remote recording management.
    Remote has a rather quirky play/pause rocker button, which I find rather fiddly and pointless.
    Red/blue LED showing whether the box is on or off.  No front-panel indication that a recording is in progress.
    No RCA audio out (just optical SPDIF) and no SCART (like anyone cares)

Thanks,
    Nigel

• jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭
    Niggle said:

...When starting an instant record, T3-R will include as much of the program from its buffer, from the point in time you started watching that channel...

Always thought that this is a great feature.
    Anyone in YouView Towers taking note?
    jimb said:
    Niggle said:

...When starting an instant record, T3-R will include as much of the program from its buffer, from the point in time you started watching that channel...

Always thought that this is a great feature.
    Anyone in YouView Towers taking note?
    Yes, I totally agree! Why can't Youview do this? Other pvrs can do more. My Humax Freesat 1100s does this without a problem. Why can't Youview fix/work on the basic stuff? The Freesat buffer is very well designed. You can not only hit record & it will start recording from when programme was first one from standby, but allows you to watch recordings from start while watching live tv, again hop back to recordings & back to live tv, plus you can also record 2 channels at same time & buffer the 3rd the live channel currently watching.

I appreciate the design of the buffer may need to be tweaked to sort this. I think at the end of the day, the benchmark for hard drive buffers has got to be the original Humax with their 8000/9200/9300 onwards including Freesat. Youview please take note & hopefully include with future updates something to keep your users from looking elsewhere for solutions. Thank you. John L
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 468 ✭✭
    Sounds interesting so far.
    Personally I prefer lists so that's good.
    Manhattan promise a remote programming app later this year to add programme schedules or to delete programmes from the schedule so will be very welcome.