BT youview box dtr-2100/500gb

I have just ended on the 15th February 2020 a 2 year contract with BT and now moved to Superfast 2 broadband with Vodafone. The box will not work even though I only expected it to work on Freeview. Has anyone any recent experience of a similar change to mine and making the box work? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• WelshPaulWelshPaul Member Posts: 38
    What do you mean when you say "The box will not work even though I only expected it to work on Freeview"?
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 232
    Surprised BT have not hounded/ threatened you to return "their " property. 
    This is a new one as youview is basically freeview so in theory all the free offerings should be there as well as the ability to record etc.
    Maybe a full factory reset might do it??
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,537 admin
    I have just ended on the 15th February 2020 a 2 year contract with BT and now moved to Superfast 2 broadband with Vodafone. The box will not work even though I only expected it to work on Freeview. Has anyone any recent experience of a similar change to mine and making the box work? Any help would be appreciated.
    Hi @nalayensid
    Welcome to the forum :) 
    Can you please explain in a bit more detail what you mean when you say the box isn't working? Do you get any error codes or strange behaviour from the box?
    Thanks,
    Sarah
    edited 29 February 2020, 10:54AM
    Does Reseting the box not erase all recordings?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,747 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2020, 7:13PM
    kodikid said:
    This is a new one as youview is basically freeview so in theory all the free offerings should be there as well as the ability to record etc.

I'm surprised your surprised because thats not the case at all. But feel free to bash away with total nonsense.....
    I disagree with the disagree as is, as its a joke.
    edited 28 February 2020, 7:46PM
    Visionman said:
    kodikid said:

I'm surprised your surprised because thats not the case at all. But feel free to bash away with total nonsense.....
    It's well known that BT have been hounding ex BT TV customers to return equipment that was supplied before 13th December 2019. Check out the BT Community forums for confirmation.

For anyone that doesn't know, BT updated their terms and conditions and now all equipment supplied after 13/12/19 must be returned to BT or they will bill you for them.

Charges:
    • Home Hub, Smart Hub: £43
    • Smart Hub 2: £50
    • Non-recordable TV box (Z4): £60
    • Recordable TV Box (G4): £89
    • 4K Recordable TV box (G5): £115

https://www.bt.com/help/tv/how-to-return-and-recycle-your-bt-broadband-hub-and-bt-tv-box-fo

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Do-I-need-to-return-my-YouView-box/td-p/1947338

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/quot-Return-your-youview-box-or-you-will-be-charged-quot/td-p/1935391

https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/7605225/bt-are-still-telling-customers-they-have-to-return-their-youview-box
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 468 ✭✭
    Nothing much changes here, does it!
    A new user comes here for advice , which @Sarah starts the process and then the off-topic stuff starts. No wonder so many new users don't bother coming back.
    No @kodikid started the process and then @Visionman felt the need to get a quip in over something he/she said! I simply confirmed what @kodikid said is (or at least was) a known issue. Hey it might even help out the OP should BT ask for the box back! 
    They're not going to ask for the OP's box back. Its theirs to keep. Thats the point I was making and its true.
  • robotmanrobotman Member Posts: 171
    I was in that position when my BT contract ended. They hounded me for months, continuing with their harrasment even after I had got confirmation by letter that my box did not need to be returned. There are so many cases on their own forum of people being threatened with charges if they don't return a box the customer actually owns. Anyone who thinks this isn't common BT practice is clearly deluding themselves when there is so much evidence out there to contradict their blinkered beliefs.
    "Flash, Flash, I love you, but we only have 14 hours to save the Earth"
    Tim C said:
    Nothing much changes here, does it!
    A new user comes here for advice , which @Sarah starts the process and then the off-topic stuff starts. No wonder so many new users don't bother coming back.
    Agreed. There are one or two people here who want the place all to themselves, to the point of effectively branding people who disagree with them as liars. They must be right miserable gits to live with 😎

If you would answer @Sarah's questions would be a good start to help see where the problem lies.
    Even better start would be if you were more constructive, 
    You come across as very bitter and confrontational. 
    Try to remember next time you post
    If you can't say anything nice
    Then dont say anything at all

Oh dear... 
    kodikid said:
    Even better start would be if you were more constructive, 
    You come across as very bitter and confrontational. 
    Try to remember next time you post
    If you can't say anything nice
    Then dont say anything at all

He's hardly going to change his ways now is he?  :D
    Personally I think it's disappointing,if not a little troubling/sad, how he seems to be in attack mode all the time. The number of people who have messaged me to ask if this particular poster always behave this way is testament to how he appears to others, and not just in this forum/community.
    This was once a very good forum to frequent but alas those days have long gone thanks to a few 'wreckers' who seem intent on tearing the community down brick by brick  :(
    I think every site has its trolls. 
    People with youview issues will see past that and recognize that this site is a gold mine of relevant youview information. 
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    robotman said:
    I was in that position when my BT contract ended. They hounded me for months, continuing with their harrasment even after I had got confirmation by letter that my box did not need to be returned. There are so many cases on their own forum of people being threatened with charges if they don't return a box the customer actually owns. Anyone who thinks this isn't common BT practice is clearly deluding themselves when there is so much evidence out there to contradict their blinkered beliefs.
    My experience of leaving BT was different from yours @robotman.
    When I called them to give 30 days notice and ask for a MAC, no real attempt was made to persuade me to stay. I received a "Sorry you are leaving us" email, and one asking me to return my TV box for recycling if I wasn't using it. They sent a mailing bag for the purpose, and that was it. I haven't heard from them since :).
  • nalayensidnalayensid Member Posts: 6
    Sorry for taking some time to get back but I wanted to try everything possible before asking for more help and particularly answering "Sarah's" question. The box is a BT box. It will not be returned to BT as it was bought by monthly rental payments over the two year period. My final bills with BT have now been paid and there is nothing more to be discussed with them.

I expected to only receive Freeview programmes and obviously not the BT programmes. I want the box to work to be able to record Freeview programmes. The box worked up to the end of the contract but now it will not connect to the internet. I have tried resetting the box to original settings and all sorts of other changes. I run the internet through powerline TP extenders and I know the powerline is working as my TV and laptop will both play off of it including the iplayer applications. When the box is connected it can't find the internet. I have tried connecting many times and it will not work. Has BT some-how stopped a connection being made and also the ability to record being removed? I only get one blue light at the front left-hand side of the box being lit. Any suggestions or answers would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 543 ✭✭
    Sorry for taking some time to get back but I wanted to try everything possible before asking for more help and particularly answering "Sarah's" question. The box is a BT box. It will not be returned to BT as it was bought by monthly rental payments over the two year period. My final bills with BT have now been paid and there is nothing more to be discussed with them.

I expected to only receive Freeview programmes and obviously not the BT programmes. I want the box to work to be able to record Freeview programmes. The box worked up to the end of the contract but now it will not connect to the internet. I have tried resetting the box to original settings and all sorts of other changes. I run the internet through powerline TP extenders and I know the powerline is working as my TV and laptop will both play off of it including the iplayer applications. When the box is connected it can't find the internet. I have tried connecting many times and it will not work. Has BT some-how stopped a connection being made and also the ability to record being removed? I only get one blue light at the front left-hand side of the box being lit. Any suggestions or answers would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi nalayensid,
    I too appreciate your frustations. Fully agree with you regards BT. I am extremely annoyed at the moment with their attitude. 
    Have you done a maintenance mode (option 2) reset yet? NOT the factory reset via the Youview menu. It has to be done as per instructions:
    https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode/
    If you need more tips/help, simply type into search bar at top of screen under help/support.
    Trust I have been able to help you/hopefully cheer up your day. Good luck.
    Please let the forum know how you get on. John L

Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
    edited 3 March 2020, 6:26PM
    BT don't disable TV boxes when a contract ends. With the exception of the BT stuff, any lack of functionality of your box that has occurred after your contract ended is a coincidence.
    If the Maintenance Mode 2 reset suggested by @John L doesn't work, try connecting your box to the router using a cable, temporarily by-passing your PLAs. If it connects, you could then try an MM4 reset, which downloads a fresh copy of the operating software from the internet.
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 468 ✭✭

It's highly likely that the Vodaphone router uses a different IP address to the BT Hub so the network settings would need resetting, especially if the Youview boxs' IP address etc had been set in the box itself.
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,537 admin
    Hi @nalayensid
    BT don't turn off the functionality of the box once you're no longer in contract. The only things that don't work are any subscription channels, subscription channel recordings and the BT player.
    Can you please try updating the software on the box? You can do this by going into Settings > Software Information. It is also worth giving your router a reboot/reset as well. 
    Thanks,
    Sarah

Hi everyone and thanks for all of the suggestions. I have already updated the box software and having read numerous blogs on the internet have come to the conclusion that the TP-Link powerline adapters are not compatible with the Vodafone router. Vodafone have suggested that I need their own adaptors and this will be the next step. I'll let you know if they work.
    I asked Vodafone about this and they said they sold compatible Vodafone powerline adapters in UK shops. The staff both online and in the shops are useless. No they don't, or at least they don't in my city branch. They also don't sell them online. I know that the TP-link adapters don't work as I have now got the box working with a direct ethernet cable between router and box. The TP-link adapters are definitely paired with each other but will not connect with the router. Does anyone know of a powerline adapter that will work with a Vodafone router. Can the existing TP-link adapters be converted to work with the router in some way? I have to add that whilst I am somewhat computer literate I am no good in altering router settings. Can anyone help. Thanks.
    There is no reason why your TP-Link adapters shouldn't work with your Vodafone router @nalayensid.
    Try a Flight of Resets (method © @Roy :) ). Switch off your router and your Youview box and unplug the PLAs (adapters). Turn on your router and let it connect and settle. Connect the PLA nearest to your router and let it settle, followed by the one connected to your Youview box. Finally, power up your box.
    Now you have a new router have you tried re-pairing your current powerline adaptors?
    Thanks for the suggestions. I was just about to try that again myself. I will re-pair them as you have said and will let you know what happens.
  • Rob PRob P Member Posts: 62
    In case you do end up needing new PLAs, I was successfully using a pair of Devolo adaptors with Vodafone router.
    Thanks for everyones' help particularly Jonesh. I finally got it to work after 3 days of checking this way that way etc. All suggestions helped. Just also to confirm that the TP-Link powerline adapters do work perfectly with the Vodafone router. Now I can record as well as watch. Thank you all.
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 543 ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2020, 4:14PM
    Thanks for everyones' help particularly Jonesh. I finally got it to work after 3 days of checking this way that way etc. All suggestions helped. Just also to confirm that the TP-Link powerline adapters do work perfectly with the Vodafone router. Now I can record as well as watch. Thank you all.
    Hi nalayensid, wonderful news! 
    I thought there was nothing wrong with the TP-Link adaptors. I didn't want to mention anymore to avoid disagreements. They should work with all equipment once you reset Powerline adaptors & also reset your Youview pvr. The only way to know is to find out by trial & error. I have spent many hours with various equipment over the years puzzling out solutions. Glad you could fix your problem. Hope you can now enjoy watching your Youview again. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings.