Talktalk DN372T failed recordings

noveltynovelty Member Posts: 7
I have a Talktalk DN272T youview box that has failed to record, or only recorded 2-3 seconds of programmes. This has been the case for 4 weeks approx. Talktalk have changed the box twice in the last week and all replacements have been the same. Any solutions? I receive a good signal from the Dover transmitter and have a Panasonic PVR that has no problems.

Comments

• SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,539 admin
    Hi @novelty
    Welcome to the forum :) 
    Can you please let us know which programmes have been failing to record along with the channels you were recording them on?
    If you're able to, can you please perform 5 software update attempts in a row so we can locate your box's unique ID? This will allow us to look into the box data and see if we can find anything which could be triggering this.
    We are investigating an issue with very short recordings on TalkTalk devices at the moment so any extra information is helpful for us. 
    Thanks,
    Sarah
  • meyou2meyou2 Member Posts: 39
    Hi @Sarah

There's lots of reports of Failed to Record -- not just very short recordings (although those as well) -- recently with Talktalk boxes in the first couple of pages of https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TalkTalk-TV/bd-p/116

I've been writing up my experience and keeping a log there, so rather than copy'n'paste everything here let me point you to the relevant threads where I've done so.  I am mc2tt.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TalkTalk-TV/Talk-Talk-you-view-box-Fails-to-Record/m-p/2450972#M145542 and what follows.
    https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TalkTalk-TV/YouView-Plus-Recording-Failures/m-p/2455015
    https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TalkTalk-TV/Recordings-Failure/m-p/2456797

I currently have two DN372Ts, one .01.02.P and one .01.03.P, both on 3.6.138 / 72.48.81, and I set them up identically to start with (same settings, same scheduled recordings) and both mostly fail to record the same programmes at the same times, although there have been occasions when one box Failed to Record a programme that the other recorded fine, and also occasions when the failure has been different: Failed to Record on one box but Partially Recorded on the other.

I am (slowly) changing the scheduled recordings on one, to see if that makes any difference, but of course with having to wait for a recording to fail it's a slow business, and I haven't found anything yet anyway.

I have at 15:25 done 5 (or maybe 6, lost count :-)) software update attempts in a row on the .01.02.P (which is actually the most recent that TT sent me).

I have at 15:50 done 5 software update attempts in a row on the .01.03.P

The following is my log of failed recordings since 9-Feb.   The problem started a week or two before that but 9-Feb is when I started keeping a log.

These were only on the .01.03.P:

Sun 9-Feb BBC2 (2).  The Ranganation, 22:00, recorded just 31 seconds.
    Tue 11-Feb Ch4 (4).  Channel 4 News. 19:00.  Failed to record.
    Wed 12-Feb Ch4 (4).  Channel 4 News. 19:00.  Failed to record.
    Wed 12-Feb 5 USA (21).  Law & Order, Special Victims Unit. 22.00, recorded just 7 seconds.
    Thu 13-Feb Ch4 (4).  Channel 4 News. 19:00.  Failed to record.
    Fri 14-Feb Ch4 (4).  Channel 4 News. 19:00.  Failed to record.
    Sat 15-Feb Ch4 (4).  Channel 4 News. 18:30.  Failed to record.
    Sun 16-Feb BBC1 (1).  Call the Midwife. 20:00. Partially recorded, 3 seconds.
    Sun 16-Feb 5 USA (21).  Law & Order, Special Victims Unit. 21.00.  Partially recorded, 3 seconds.
    Mon 17-Feb Ch4 (4).  Channel 4 News. 19:00.  Failed to record.

In the following "O" is the .01.03.P and "N" is the .01.02.P:

O+N Tue 18-Feb Ch4 (4).  Channel 4 News. 19:00.  Failed to record.
    O   Tue 18-Feb Ch4+1 (10).  Channel 4 News. 20:00.  Failed to record.
    N   Wed 19-Feb Ch4 (4).  Channel 4 News. 19:00.  Failed to record.
    O   Wed 19-Feb 5 USA (21).  Law & Order, Special Victims Unit. 22.00, recorded just 28 seconds.
    O   Thu 20-Feb 5 USA (21).  Law & Order, Special Victims Unit. 21.00.  Partially recorded, 3 seconds.
    N   Thu 20-Feb 5 USA (21).  Law & Order, Special Victims Unit. 21.00.  Failed to record.
    O   Thu 20-Feb BBC1 (1).  Question Time. Partially recorded, 3 seconds.
    N   Thu 20-Feb BBC1 (1).  Question Time. Failed to record.
    O   Sat 22-Feb 5 USA (21).  Law & Order, Special Victims Unit. 23:00.  Partially recorded, 52 minutes
    O+N Sun 23-Feb Ch4 (4).  Channel 4 News. 18:30.  Failed to record.
    N   Mon 24-Feb Ch4 (4).  Channel 4 News. 19:00.  Failed to record.

Hope this helps :-)

• noveltynovelty Member Posts: 7
    Hi Sarah
    Since Sunday, Lost in Halifax BBC1 HD 21.00 Sunday failed to record and Flesh and Blood ITV HD 21.00 Tuesday partial record (3 seconds), Mondays episode recorded OK. I will perform 5 software updates now.
    Kind Regards, Chris.
    Hi @novelty & @meyou2

Thanks for the information regarding your experience and examples of recordings recently. 
    We are investigating issues around failed, clipped and very short recordings at the moment and carrying out further tests so we can look into the data in further detail. I'll update once I get any news regarding this.

Thanks,
    Sarah

edited 29 February 2020, 1:51PM
    Hi @Sarah

Here's a failures update and a specific experience that may be important.  The update, following on from my previous post, is as follows, with again "O" being the .01.03.P and "N" the .01.02.P:

O+N Tue 25-Feb Ch4 (4).  Channel 4 News. 19:00.  Partially recorded, 3/2 seconds.
    O+N Wed 26-Feb Ch4 (4).  Channel 4 News. 19:00.  Partially recorded, 2/3 seconds.
    N   Thu 27-Feb Ch4 (4).  Channel 4 News. 19:00.  Failed to record.
    O+N Thu 27-Feb 5 USA (21).  Law & Order, Special Victims Unit. 21.00.  Failed to record.

I have both of those programmes on series record on both boxes, and other episodes recorded ok, as have other programmes.

Now, there's something that I've observed twice now that may give a clue as to what's happening.

At 21:00 on Thursday I was watching a programme recorded earlier and the message saying it had started recording Law & Order, Special Victims Unit appeared, but I noticed that the lights on the front of the box weren't doing the rolling display they normally do when it's recording.

So I immediately went to MyTV and saw that it had Failed to Record  the programme.

So I then went straight to channel 21, intending to just press the record button.  It was still showing adverts -- and the on screen display said it was showing NCIS: New Orleans, which is the programme immediately before Law & Order, Special Victims Unit.

I then pressed record but nothing happened, so I went to MyTV again and found that it now also had a Failed to Record entry for NCIS: New Orleans.

On returning to channel 21 I saw that L&O SVU had now actually started and on pressing record another time it then recorded the programme ok.

The same thing happened with Call the Midwife a couple of weeks back, where again I spotted it wasn't recording at the time (it failed with Partially Recorded that time) and on flicking to BBC1 and pressing record got a Failed to Record for Dr Who, which was the programme immediately before Call the Midwife.  (I logged this on the TalkTalk forum, here.)

So ... what appears to be happening, at least in those two cases, is that the box has tried (or started) to record a programme before the programme has actually started, and then failed on (presumably) discovering that the metadata didn't match the programme it was supposed to be recording, because it was still on the previous programme.

Edit: this happened again last night (Fri) with Channel 4 News on 4 at 19:00.  The message came up saying it was recording it, but the lights weren't rolling and on flicking to MyTV it said Failed to Record, and then on going immediately to ch 4 the news hadn't quite yet started and the on screen display said Hollyoaks, which was the immediately preceding programme.

Hi @meyou2
    Thanks for the detailed accounts on your findings over the weekend, this is quite helpful. I've added this information to the investigation going on around failed/partial recordings. 
    Thanks,
    Sarah
    Just a quick note to say that, since I last wrote, in every single case of recording failure (Failed to Record/Partially Recorded) where I've been there to check at the time, the recording started/tried to start while the on screen info was showing the previous programme was still on.

This includes Channel 4 News most evenings, Plebs (ITV2) and The Andrew Neil Show (BBC2).  In the last case I was already watching BBC2 at the time (so I wouldn't have thought it'd be a matter of an early start signal coming from another mux...).

I've also had other Failed to Record/Partially Recorded cases where I wasn't there to check at the time; Channel 4 News and Law & Order, Special Victims Unit (5 USA) pretty regularly, and also the Coronavirus special on BBC1 on Monday and an episode of The Simpsons on Sunday.

P.S. My boxes are now on 72.48.87 / 3.6.162

edited 11 March 2020, 4:48PM
    As I mentioned above, I have two DN372Ts which I initially set up identically but have since been reducing the number of recordings on one box (the .01.02.P) to see if that makes any difference, and to try and find a "simple" failing configuration.

I am now, since last Thursday, down to just two series recordings set up, and one, Channel 4 News, has consistently Failed to record every night since.  As that's also one of the programmes I've had fairly consistent problems with on my other box, I think that if you, @sarah (or anyone else), set up a DN372T in the same way then you too should get the same reproducible failure, which should hopefully help in tracking down the problem.

The box is set up as follows:

Scheduled recordings (both are daily programmes, on SD channels and are set to Record Series):

19:00 Ch4 (4), Channel 4 News
    22:00 5 USA (21), Law & Order Special Victims Unit (series includes 23:00 episodes too)

Settings I've changed from the defaults are:

Picture & Sound - HDMI Display: 1080p,   HDMI Sound: Surround
    Recordings - Auto Delete: On, Confirm Delete: On
    Power & Standby - Start Deep Sleep: 3AM,   End Deep Sleep: 4PM
    Appearance - Channel Logos: Off

The box is "tuned" to BBC1 (1, SD), in the sense that that's the channel that is being watched.

To help make sure you'll be looking at the right box, I have just (at 15:46 on 11-Mar) done 5 software update attempts in a row.

I'll leave the box as is, in the above configuration, until you've grabbed the data you want from it.  Please let me know once you've done so.
    P.S. Please be sure you identify the box from the software update attempts done at 15:46 (and not others I inadvertently did a bit earlier, oops...)

Just as I thought my box was working I noticed a failed recording, Only Connect BBC2 HD Monday 20.00. Are we anywhere near a fix, this has been 2 months now.
    Hi all, 

This investigation is still on-going as we are trying to find out the cause of this issue. We will still continue to test on the boxes we have in the office for content that's failing or clipping.
    I'll post here when I get any updates on the investigation. 

Apologies for the inconvenience caused. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    @Sarah do you have it reproducible on your boxes?  'Cos if not then maybe we can arrange to get the box I refer to above to you, on which I have it consistently failing as described?  If you are at Lower Thames Street I could even drop it in personally.

Novelty is lucky (?) to have had only one failed recording in the week.  Last night alone on my other box Channel 4 News, Channel 4 News+1, Law & Order SVU and Question Time all failed to record/partially recorded.... :-(
    meyou2 said:
    @Sarah do you have it reproducible on your boxes?  'Cos if not then maybe we can arrange to get the box I refer to above to you, on which I have it consistently failing as described?  If you are at Lower Thames Street I could even drop it in personally.

Novelty is lucky (?) to have had only one failed recording in the week.  Last night alone on my other box Channel 4 News, Channel 4 News+1, Law & Order SVU and Question Time all failed to record/partially recorded.... :-(
    Hi @meyou2
    We've managed to reproduce some of these on our boxes and we've set up a box which we are getting more detailed logs from. Because of this, I don't think we'll need your box to check at the moment :) 
    TalkTalk have provided some examples to assist us in our investigations and we are working closely with them on this. 
    On some of your previous examples, where you've said they 'just recorded x seconds', do you recall if these were marked as partial recordings as well or was it just the ones you've mentioned are partial recordings? Can you also let us know of your above examples, which ones partially recorded so we can note this down?

Thanks,
    Sarah

edited 13 March 2020, 4:17PM
    Hi @sarah,

In all of my reports where I say partially recorded I mean that the circle graphic on the recording is half red and "Partially recorded" is what the status of the recording is if you press Info.

Where I say "recorded just x seconds" I mean that the recording appears ok superficially, i.e. the circle graphic is fully red and the status is "Recorded", but it actually only recorded x seconds.

And when I say failed to record I mean that's what the box shows the status of it as.

In regards to the ones last night, the Ch4 News ones both failed to record, Law & Order SVU (9pm episode) recorded just 6 seconds, and Question Time partially recorded (4s).

Thanks for clarifying this @meyou2 :) I'll add this info into the investigation.

Thanks,
    Sarah
    meyou2 said:
    Now, there's something that I've observed twice now that may give a clue as to what's happening.

At 21:00 on Thursday I was watching a programme recorded earlier and the message saying it had started recording Law & Order, Special Victims Unit appeared, but I noticed that the lights on the front of the box weren't doing the rolling display they normally do when it's recording.

So I immediately went to MyTV and saw that it had Failed to Record  the programme.

So I then went straight to channel 21, intending to just press the record button.  It was still showing adverts -- and the on screen display said it was showing NCIS: New Orleans, which is the programme immediately before Law & Order, Special Victims Unit.

I then pressed record but nothing happened, so I went to MyTV again and found that it now also had a Failed to Record entry for NCIS: New Orleans.

On returning to channel 21 I saw that L&O SVU had now actually started and on pressing record another time it then recorded the programme ok.

The same thing happened with Call the Midwife a couple of weeks back, where again I spotted it wasn't recording at the time (it failed with Partially Recorded that time) and on flicking to BBC1 and pressing record got a Failed to Record for Dr Who, which was the programme immediately before Call the Midwife.  (I logged this on the TalkTalk forum, here.)

So ... what appears to be happening, at least in those two cases, is that the box has tried (or started) to record a programme before the programme has actually started, and then failed on (presumably) discovering that the metadata didn't match the programme it was supposed to be recording, because it was still on the previous programme.

Edit: this happened again last night (Fri) with Channel 4 News on 4 at 19:00.  The message came up saying it was recording it, but the lights weren't rolling and on flicking to MyTV it said Failed to Record, and then on going immediately to ch 4 the news hadn't quite yet started and the on screen display said Hollyoaks, which was the immediately preceding programme.

Hi @meyou2

Can you please let us know if you've experienced the above issue where recordings starting on previous programme and failing when correct one starts has happened again since you posted this? If it does happen again, please check the time on the clock displayed on the box to ensure this is correct and let us know. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    edited 18 March 2020, 12:49PM
    Hi @sarah

Yes, as I said in my 5-Mar follow-up post, it's been so in every single case of recording failure where I've been there to check at the time, and that has been and still continues to be true to date.

The most recent were Sat 14-Mar Law & Order SVU at 9pm and Channel 4 News at 7pm in both of the last two evenings (Mon 16 & Tue 17).  As it is the case every time I've been there to catch it I strongly suspect it's the case for every recording failure.

I'll try note the time the box displays next time I catch it.

BTW, to be clear, the recording fails immediately, not when the programme to be recorded starts.  E.g. the box will say it's recording Channel 4 News but (noticing the lights aren't rolling and on checking MyTV immediately) the Failed to Record entry will be there straight away and then going (quickly!) to channel 4 I'll see the news won't have quite started yet and the on screen display will say Hollyoaks.
    edited 18 March 2020, 12:49PM
    BTW @sarah, in regards to my 11-Mar post, have you folks taken whatever data you want from that box yet, and if not will you be doing so?

As I say in that post (other than turning it on once a day to log what it's done and tidy up any successful recordings), I have left the box as is pending you grabbing whatever data you want.  (It continues to consistently fail to record Channel 4 News.)

If you've already done so -- or, indeed, if you don't intend to -- I'd appreciate it if you could let me know, so that I can (re)start experimenting with that box again.  And if you do intend to but haven't yet ... do so soon please :-)
    @Sarah

This evening my main box (the one I actively use) popped up the message saying it was recording Channel 4 News at 6:59PM, box time.  It immediately failed with Partially Recorded, with Info saying it recorded 6:59PM TO 6:59PM, recording 4 seconds.

On the other box (the one I'm waiting for you to grab data from) Channel 4 News Failed to Record and is listed as doing so at 6:59PM.  Flicking through all the other failed recordings on that box (which I've left there for you folks to examine), all of the Channel 4 News ones are a minute early.  However the Law & Order SVU failed recordings are all on the hour (i.e. on time).
    This does seem to be taking a long time to resolve. I contacted Ofcom who said they did not regulate Youview and directed me to trading standards via citizens advice where I left details of the issues.
    novelty said:
    This does seem to be taking a long time to resolve. I contacted Ofcom who said they did not regulate Youview and directed me to trading standards via citizens advice where I left details of the issues.
    Hi @novelty
    We've been investigating issues linked to failed recordings for just over a month, unfortunately some issues are more complicated to sort than others so can take a while to resolve. We are working hard alongside TalkTalk on testing and checking the data logs we have available to find the cause of these issues. 
    If you'd like to make a complaint about this, we would recommend that you call TalkTalk since they are your box and service provider. Their number is: 0345 172 0088.

meyou2 said:
    @Sarah

This evening my main box (the one I actively use) popped up the message saying it was recording Channel 4 News at 6:59PM, box time.  It immediately failed with Partially Recorded, with Info saying it recorded 6:59PM TO 6:59PM, recording 4 seconds.

On the other box (the one I'm waiting for you to grab data from) Channel 4 News Failed to Record and is listed as doing so at 6:59PM.  Flicking through all the other failed recordings on that box (which I've left there for you folks to examine), all of the Channel 4 News ones are a minute early.  However the Law & Order SVU failed recordings are all on the hour (i.e. on time).
    Hi @meyou2
    We've finished looking into your box for now :) We've been able to replicate a number of these failed recordings which has been helpful for the investigation. We've noted that a few of the failed recordings we've set, fail before the programme starts. 

It should be noted that some programmes at the moment will be subject to last minute programme changes due to the coronavirus. We're aware of programmes being moved to different channels e.g. Pointless being moved to BBC2 to allow a longer slot for BBC news reporting on the virus and Channel 4 changing their 7pm news slot to 1hr 30mins instead of an hour. In these instances, if the guide isn't updated by the content provider in time these recordings will fail. 

Thanks a lot for your testing and info so far, it's been very helpful. 

Sarah
    Talktalk have sent me 3 boxes, all have had exactly the same issues and they have stated the issue is with youview and not only affecting Talktalk boxes so there is no more to pursue with them. Incidentally I have a Panasonic Freeview blu ray HD recorder that has not had any problems recording throughout this time. Is there some different way youview equipped boxes receive the prompts to start recording?
    Sarah said:

Hi @meyou2
    We've finished looking into your box for now :) We've been able to replicate a number of these failed recordings which has been helpful for the investigation. We've noted that a few of the failed recordings we've set, fail before the programme starts. 

It should be noted that some programmes at the moment will be subject to last minute programme changes due to the coronavirus. We're aware of programmes being moved to different channels e.g. Pointless being moved to BBC2 to allow a longer slot for BBC news reporting on the virus and Channel 4 changing their 7pm news slot to 1hr 30mins instead of an hour. In these instances, if the guide isn't updated by the content provider in time these recordings will fail. 

Thanks a lot for your testing and info so far, it's been very helpful. 

Sarah
    Hi @sarah,

Glad it's been useful, and I will now restart experimenting with that box to see if I can find any other clues.   And, yes, I am aware of and not logging recording failures due to schedule changes ... although I also record Channel 4 News + 1 (on my main box, in case Ch4 News fails, which it usually does whereas the +1 almost always records ok) and there's not been any problem with that and their extended bulletins.

One thing I realise I haven't highlighted here is something that's happened three times so far, being the instant "recording" of 30 or 60 minutes of nothing (black screen), with the box claiming to have recorded into the future, i.e. at 7:03 saying it had recorded 30 minutes from 6:59 to 7:29.

I described it on the TT forum, here, in early February, and it also happened with Ch4 News on 9-Mar, when it instantly "recorded" 30 mins 13 seconds of nothing, and with Law & Order SVU on 15-Mar, when it instantly "recorded" 59 mins 33 seconds of nothing.

Having only happened three times, I can't see any pattern or clues to try and reproduce it, but having happened three times we can at least say it's not a one off....
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,650 ✭✭✭
    novelty said:
    @novelty

Good luck taking that route. The question is: what do you want to happen?

Neither Ofcom nor the CAB nor Trading Standards will enable you to get the issue fixed one day sooner than YouView and TalkTalk, actively working together as they are, can achieve.

Did you want some financial compensation? That is something you need to take up in the first place with TalkTalk; as Sarah has advised, and as Trading Standards would also no doubt advise, your issue is with the supplier of the service, TalkTalk, and no-one else.

You have suggested that TalkTalk have advised that the issue is not exclusive to their boxes; perhaps they can point you, and then you us, to examples of this, though I have seen none. But even if it isn’t just a TalkTalk issue, something I rather doubt, they are the ones responsible for providing your service, so they are the ones you should approach about this.

As Sarah says, these issues are extremely complex. We had a similar issue, a few years back, with Humax boxes giving truncated recordings. Which was eventually traced to the interaction of the expanded roster of Freeview channels, assumptions in the YouView software, and assumptions in the Humax firmware, all combining to cause premature timeouts deep in the bowels of the systems, under certain circumstances.

TalkTalk boxes were unaffected at this time; but I suspect that a very similar issue has now arisen in the Huawei firmware, and needs to be tracked down. Perhaps the previous Humax issue will give YouView and TalkTalk a better idea of the sort of things to look for.

But in the meantime, TalkTalk can supply you with as many TalkTalk boxes as they like to no avail, as the issue isn’t a hardware one that swapping out a faulty box will fix.

Though maybe they could ship you in a Humax box, as these are, to the best of my knowledge, unaffected by the issue this time round?
    I have a low opinion of people who press the Disagree button instead of engaging in reasoned debate. 
    I have an even lower opinion of YouView’s continued policy of letting such people hide behind the cloak of anonymity.
    That is interesting as I had the same problem on my talktalk box a few years ago, I didn.t mention it as I thought it might confuse the issue. It was Karl the OCE who posted that Humax boxes had the same issue. I have been impressed with talktalk replacing my box twice and within 48 Hrs and I appreciate work is being done to resolve what seems to be a complicated issue. Surely there is a clue in that this all appeared to start mid January so something must have been changed then. This is an issue affecting a lot of people and I am not apportioning blame but do wonder if the resources being put into this are enough considering the impact of the problem
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 233
      but do wonder if the resources being put into this are enough 

Agree 
    Not like talk talk staff have anything else to worry about
    Pandemic anyone 🤭🤬
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
    edited 24 March 2020, 10:38AM
    kodikid said:
      but do wonder if the resources being put into this are enough 

Agree 
    Not like talk talk staff have anything else to worry about
    Pandemic anyone 🤭🤬
    Maybe I can at last watch those first recordings still stored on my T1000 😷
    I have a low opinion of people who press the Disagree button instead of engaging in reasoned debate. 
    I have an even lower opinion of YouView’s continued policy of letting such people hide behind the cloak of anonymity.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 233
    And those you can't I'm pretty sure that thing they call ketchup 🍅 or is it catch up ( always throws me that one) will help you out.
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
    kodikid said:
    And those you can't I'm pretty sure that thing they call ketchup 🍅 or is it catch up ( always throws me that one) will help you out.
    These programmes go back as far as 2012. I think they would be pretty difficult to sauce from anywhere else these days, and they are too recent to be on Britbox yet  :p
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 March 2020, 12:42PM
    I've got the more recent Britbox stuff on my Topfield. It isn't very saucy :p.