BBC sounds app on YouView

scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭
Can we have some more detail about which boxes and when please 

https://www.rxtvlog.com/2020/03/bbc-sounds-tv-app-begins-roll-out.html?m=1

Comments

• kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 231
    edited 24 March 2020, 10:14AM
    Word of warning for anyone with a OLED tv.
    Screen burn is a real issue so you really should try to avoid static images. 
    Full Mark's to BBC Sounds for identifying and offering a solution, most dont.
    Either way always try to vary what's displayed. 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭
    scott said:

I don't think that is correct.
    It's possible that the BBC Sounds app is being trialled by YouView.
    Perhaps someone has picked up on this (if it's happening) and assumed that it was being rolled out.  :)
    kodikid said:
    What solution is that?
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 March 2020, 10:56AM
    jimb said:
    scott said:

Perhaps someone has picked up on this (if it's happening) and assumed that it was being rolled out.  :)

@jimb - it is very specific and across a lot of sites (obviously could all be just quoting each other).

https://advanced-television.com/2020/03/24/bbc-sounds-app-for-connected-tvs/

The BBC Sounds TV app will be rolling out from today on Virgin Media devices and YouView devices, including some Sony TVs, and is coming to some Samsung TVs later this week, plus many more connected TVs and devices in the coming weeks and months.

https://www.seenit.co.uk/bbc-sounds-comes-to-youview-and-virgin-media-set-top-boxes/

YouView and Virgin Media TV customers can now access the BBC’s 18 national and 40 local radio stations plus thousands of hours of on-demand and catch-up content after the broadcaster launched a new BBC Sounds TV app.

• kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 231
    jimb said:
    kodikid said:
    What solution is that?
    Morning J
    The Beeb use a screen saver that is not a static image.
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • Andy EldrichAndy Eldrich Member Posts: 12
    edited 24 March 2020, 12:20PM
    Not sure if this will still work, or be applicable to the app (I've got an old box & old software), but an old trick was to hit pause then play on radio channels to get rid of the graphics.
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,534 admin
    Hiya, 

BBC Sounds should now be available on your YouView boxes :) (announcement here)

Thanks,
    Sarah
    scott said:
    jimb said:
    scott said:

@jimb - it is very specific and across a lot of sites (obviously could all be just quoting each other).

Ah yes I see. (I hadn't read the other reports.) 
    And it had been on my T2000 for some time so no clue there.  ;)

edited 24 March 2020, 2:54PM
    kodikid said:
    jimb said:
    kodikid said:
    What solution is that?
    Morning J
    The Beeb use a screen saver that is not a static image.
    Unfortunately the YouView app doesn't. 
    Strange because the Beeb have always been aware of this - you can hit the green button to go to a kind of screen saver mode when listening to a BBC radio channel. 

However!... 
    As I was writing this I was listening to a radio 3 concert. 
    This had a full screen image of the orchestra with some text and a progress bar at the bottom of the screen. 
    All of a sudden the background image disappeared leaving just the text. 
    In the true investigative spirit of this forum I've checked this again and it looks like the background image disappears after 10 minutes. 
    But then you're left with white text on a black background - not good for screen burn. This is probably not a big deal as the text will vary with each programme. 
    However, the progress bar is also displayed and that will always be in the same place I think, so there is a risk for those who worry about screen burn. 
    So it looks like they've thought about screen burn and not got it quite right. 

However!.. 
    I've now realised that the text and progress bar are gently floating up the screen. 
    So "Full Mark's to BBC Sounds for identifying and offering a solution".

I thought about editing this post as it has turned into a bit of a short story, but then I thought most of you reading this will probably be happy to spend a little while with it. 

I shall also stop getting ratty with those who write long rambling posts and see them as a welcome distraction.  :)
  • westonewestone Member Posts: 8
    Is it correct that you can only get your local BBC station and not any of the other BBC locals on the YouView app? The android app allows access to all locals.
    westone said:
    Is it correct that you can only get your local BBC station and not any of the other BBC locals on the YouView app? The android app allows access to all locals.

Yes that is correct.