Brit Box

MoHoMoHo Member Posts: 1
There are confusing reports that either that: Brit Box is available or will become available. Does anyone have information?

Comments

• AnaglyptaAnaglypta Member, Super User Posts: 829 ✭✭✭
    edited 25 March 2020, 3:32PM
    Hello @MoHo , and welcome to the forum. According to the Britbox Website, it says that Britbox is coming soon to YouView. When I emailed them last year they said by the end of December 2019, but sadly that deadline has come and gone. :(

I'm sure that it will appear very soon, but have no idea when. ;)
    John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 233
    edited 25 March 2020, 3:54PM
    The official line is now the second quarter (April-June) but trust me you're in for a disappointment, it's woeful usability is only matched by it's pathetic content.  Only 2% retain the subscription after the free trial. 
    Look up the reviews on trust pilot if you don't believe me.
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,747 ✭✭✭
    edited 25 March 2020, 4:46PM
    MoHo said:
    There are confusing reports that either that: Brit Box is available or will become available. Does anyone have information?
    Hi MoHo, if you click on the Britbox website link John provides above, it will provide you with all the info you need. :)
    I disagree with the disagree as is, as its a joke.
  • WelshPaulWelshPaul Member Posts: 38
    I signed up to trial it and and canceled 3 hours later lol.
    edited 25 March 2020, 7:23PM
    WelshPaul said:

You say you cancelled it but don't state why, lol.
  • WelshPaulWelshPaul Member Posts: 38
    Visionman said:
    WelshPaul said:

You say you cancelled it but don't state why, lol.
    Do I really need to? If someone signs up to a streaming service and cancels within three hours that should speak volumes! I have spent to much of my life on Britbox as it is without writing you an essay too. 
    I didn't want an essay WelshPaul. But judging by your response perhaps thats for the best.  :)
    edited 25 March 2020, 9:57PM
    WelshPaul said:
    3 hours! What could you have possibly found to make you stay that long.

My pet hate with it is if you watch talking pictures tv they will inform you what your about to watch contains racist/ inappropriate language that was prevalent at the time. Fair enough, informed choice. 
    Britbox acts like those shows from the non PC era never existed. 
    Its sanitised beyond belief. 
    It ain't half censored mum.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,650 ✭✭✭
    kodikid said:
    WelshPaul said:
    3 hours! What could you have possibly found to make you stay that long.

My pet hate with it is if you watch talking pictures tv they will inform you what your about to watch contains racist/ inappropriate language that was prevalent at the time. Fair enough, informed choice. 
    Britbox acts like those shows from the non PC era never existed. 
    Its sanitised beyond belief. 
    It ain't half censored mum.
    Oh dear, and I was hoping to watch and enjoy Joe Orton’s “Prick Up Your Ears” again on Britbox.

Had we better not tell them it’s an anagram, do you think? 😈
    I have a low opinion of people who press the Disagree button instead of engaging in reasoned debate. 
    I have an even lower opinion of YouView’s continued policy of letting such people hide behind the cloak of anonymity.
    edited 26 March 2020, 5:17PM
    Ana Gram
    Brilliant actress, couldn't find her either. 
    Oh dear, not supposed to refer to a female thespian as an actress, my bad☹
    Heres a sad truth about Britbox, but a true one - to watch the original uncut and unsanitised versions of these older series one has to buy them on disc.
    Therein lies the problem,
    never mind sanitised their not even there!
    Classic drama like buddha of suburbia, Funtown and Take me home, where are they?
    Would sign up tomorrow if the beeb raided the archives. 
    The Britbox premise is brilliant, the reality anything but.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 March 2020, 10:08PM
    Roy said:
    Oh dear, and I was hoping to watch and enjoy Joe Orton’s “Prick Up Your Ears” again on Britbox.

Pick up your ears Rick :).
    edit:
    I used ick twice. I am sure that somebody could do better ;).
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 March 2020, 9:12PM
    Roy said:

(Five hours later) finally got it Roy - had to do a huge amount of googling!
    So good to have you back  :smile:
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Member, Super User Posts: 829 ✭✭✭
    Visionman said:
    Heres a sad truth about Britbox, but a true one - to watch the original uncut and unsanitised versions of these older series one has to buy them on disc.
    Hi VM, and @kodikid ,This is not true! I checked an episode of "Watery Fowles" (S1 Ep 6 - The Germans) and was gob smacked to note that the BritBox streaming version was the full uncut 1970's version which included both the "N" word and the "W" word (as used on Robertsons jam products) during an exchange between Basil and the Major.

It's right at the begining after Basil returns fom seeing Sybil in the hospital.

The difference here, I suspect, is that broadcast TV has to comply with fairly stringent rules as policed by Ofcom, whereas a narowcast streaming service relies on its own editorial rules. Also, Kodikid, note that that episode clearly states that it contains offensive language of the time - image attached.
    John.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    Yes @Anaglypta and bang on.

Whilst some want to point the finger at Britbox, it isn't. Its the OFCOM code of broadcasting that has restricted the content of this service, but they have no control over disk and rightly so.