New set up

lettho1lettho1 Member Posts: 3
I just come back to bt tv after being with sky and I have received my equipment but omg where to start.   I have a 4k box that won't turn on, a normal bt tv box,  a small box.   Where do I start?

Comments

• kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 232
    edited 3 April 2020, 2:40PM
    You start by looking again to try and find the quick start guide 

For now here's a rudimentary guide for the 4k box

Basically plug it in to the mains

Connect tv aerial to the back of the youview box

HDMI cable to back of your tv then other end to the box

Connect Ethernet cable also at the back of the box

Other end of said cable to your router (if your router and youview box are not next to each other you will need a powerline adapter)

in this case one end of Ethernet cable to box other to the adapter.

Switch on and follow the on screen instructions.

There's a rocker switch at the back for on/off so obviously make sure it's switched on!

You really do need to get your hands on the instruction leaflet as such things as pairing the remote with your tv etc are a lot simpler to do with this in your possession .

Good luck and stay safe
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • lettho1lettho1 Member Posts: 3
    I have got a starter guide but the 4k box isn't lighting up when the power cable is on, I'm wondering do I have a faulty box
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,648 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 April 2020, 2:58PM
    lettho1 said:
    I have got a starter guide but the 4k box isn't lighting up when the power cable is on, I'm wondering do I have a faulty box
    It would seem so, if you toggled that rocker.

Your best bet is to get in touch with BT, who supplied you with this lot, and they will walk you through their expectation of the setup, to see where your experiences here diverge from those expectations.
    I have a low opinion of people who press the Disagree button instead of engaging in reasoned debate. 
    I have an even lower opinion of YouView’s continued policy of letting such people hide behind the cloak of anonymity.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 232
    Dont want to sound simplistic but have you turned the box on from the back, is the socket/fuse ok, is the power cable fully engaged. 
    With the current pandemic obviously call centre staff are in short supply, you are in for a extremely long wait if you contact them. Rule out everything first. 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • lettho1lettho1 Member Posts: 3
    Yep faulty box and they sent me a normal bt tv box by mistake.   All have to go back