How to fix YVM401 error code

waddy1000waddy1000 Member Posts: 2
How can I fix YVM401 error code please where the guide doesn’t work on the BT YouView box?

I have already tried the online instructions to keep going in and out of the guide via menu and shortcut button. I’ve also held the restart button for 8 seconds as instructed, and I’ve contacted BT who have told me the box is a youview box so they can’t assist and I must speak with YouView.

Help would be greatly appreciated. 

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,376 ✭✭✭
    waddy1000 said:
    How can I fix YVM401 error code please where the guide doesn’t work on the BT YouView box?

I have already tried the online instructions to keep going in and out of the guide via menu and shortcut button. I’ve also held the restart button for 8 seconds as instructed, and I’ve contacted BT who have told me the box is a youview box so they can’t assist and I must speak with YouView.

Help would be greatly appreciated. 
    Greetings @waddy1000 and welcome to the Community!

It sounds like you have worked through the Help at
    https://support.youview.com/youview-box/error-messages/fix-for-yvm401/

I don’t know who you spoke to at BT, but it doesn’t sound like they knew what they were doing. When YouView shut down their telephone helpline, @Sarah assured us this was in the context of BT picking up this obligation for all BT YouView boxes, whether sourced from BT TV, Retail, or even second-hand off Fleabay, and TalkTalk doing likewise for Huawei YouView boxes.

I would hate to think this wasn’t happening. So call them again, inform them of this, and politely but firmly insist they meet their obligations. Also, though, post your issue on the BT YouView Community, where the quality of support is much higher anyway.

But do you have a complete failure of the Guide, or just the YVM401 issue where you don’t get the thumbnails? This latter would likely indicate your box has lost the connection to, or through, the router. 

To see if this is the case, try using the BBC iPlayer app on the box; does that likewise fail, or is that working?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • waddy1000waddy1000 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Roy, BBC iPlayer still works, as do all of the Apps, Netflix etc so the box connects to the router no problem. 

It’s just a complete failure of the guide. It shows all the channels down the left and all the times across the top but where there would be the programme and it’s info it is completely blank. 

When on a channel there is no info available although the channel plays no problem. 

Wonder if anyone else has this problem and knows how to fix? 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,376 ✭✭✭
    edited 13 May 2020, 11:23AM
    That’s a fair sight worse than YVM401, and not something I have ever come across on a YouView box, though the Sony YouView TVs are known to do it.
    But the fix for Sony TVs (go back and accept all the T&Cs individually and not with a blanket Yes) isn’t applicable here.

I would suggest a Maintenance Mode reset as your next step, an Option 2 that will keep all your recordings and schedules of future recordings at least, though it will nuke any pairings with the BT TV app on smartphones, etc., and any non-standard Settings, though both these things are easy to put back afterwards if you are forewarned to make a note of them.

Follow the instructions for your particular box, as they can vary from one box to another:-

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode/

Option 4 is good as well, but avoid 3 and 5 as they delete your recordings, which should not be necessary here. And Option 1 doesn’t do very much beyond the 8-second reset you have already tried.

So Option 2 in the first place.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Rob PRob P Member Posts: 104 ✭✭
    I have had this exact same issue recently - BT DTR-T2110. Guide content is completely missing as described above (no programme data) hence recordings fail, on those occasions when it's in that state, although the live channels are running fine. No thumbnails as if internet not connected, but as above, iPlayer etc all work absolutely fine. 

The 8-second reset did not help, powering off and on did nothing. On powering up again to instigate the MM2 reset, it would not power up at all, for several attempts, although having been left alone for a couple of days it then did fire up again and now the behaviour is intermittent, some days the guide works, some days it does not. I have not powered it down again yet in order to re-attempt MM2 as there's a few things I want to watch, in case it decides not to come back to life at all this time...