Recordings disappear

BSmithBSmith Member Posts: 18
I recorded 2 items last night. Both were initiated after the programme commenced and I watched the beginning of both recordings before leaving the remainder for another time. This morning both were not in the recordings. The programmes I recorded were actually the first and repeat showings of 'Princess Anne - the son i never had' on C5 at 21.15 and on C5+1 at 22.15.
My software is showing as checked as at 26 Apr 2920 and is 32.36.0. I don't know how to tell when this version was loaded. 

Comments

• BSmithBSmith Member Posts: 18
    Still having a problem. Tonight (4 May 2020) I recorded a program then started to watch it later. It cut off during the replay and has disappeared from the recordings tiles. Software is now 32.43.0 at 4 May. 
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,602 admin
    Hi @BSmith

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, my response didn't send and went into a draft. 

Can you please let us know which programme and channel this issue happened with last night? Did the light on the box go red when you set the recording and did the red R appear in the guide as well when you set it to record? How long into the recording did it cut off?

Thanks,
    Sarah

Sorry Sarah, I didn't check back until I had the problem again. Should I get an alert when you respond?
    I can't remember all the details of the last one I reported but I watched quite a bit of it on that occasion before it cut off. However, the latest occurrence happened last night.  I recorded City of Tiny Lights on Friday 8 May at 10.35 pm on BBC2. It recorded fine, in entirety as far as I know. The red indicator showed that it was set to record and I'm pretty sure it announced when it started to record. I recorded something else shortly after it started but the whole recording was there. I started to watch the recording last night but only watched about 5 minutes before deciding to watch it another time. On this occasion I stopped the recording, it did not cut off. I sat down to watch it this evening but it has disappeared. I looked back on the guide and the
    Red 'set to record' indicator is not showing now. The film is not scheduled to play again currently so can't check for the red indicator on any future's showings. The film is currently showing on i-player. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭
    Try a Maintenance Mode Option 2, see if that puts things straight. It won’t delete any recordings that currently do survive on your box...

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode/
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
    I did that  but it happened again.  Last night. I recorded 2 episodes of State of Happiness on BBC4 from 9pm. I watched the first episode last night and the start of the second (for about 5 minutes). This morning the second episode has disappeared. I can't remember if I deleted the first episode last night or not, but that has gone too. 
    BSmith said:
    I did that  but it happened again.  Last night. I recorded 2 episodes of State of Happiness on BBC4 from 9pm. I watched the first episode last night and the start of the second (for about 5 minutes). This morning the second episode has disappeared. I can't remember if I deleted the first episode last night or not, but that has gone too. 
    When recordings are being affected, it is often the case that only a Maintenance Mode Option 5 will work, which does involve a root and branch reset including the deletion of all your existing recordings. (This is the same as the Factory Reset in Settings, and it’s probably easier to do it from there).

So watch off the recordings you have that you still want to see, if any, and then try this. Note though, that these Resets can fix software problems (and disc corruption in the case of Option 5), but cannot fix hardware problems, should it be that you have one of these.
    I always seem to have problems when the capacity remaining reaches 3%. I have loads of recordings so don't want watch them all at once, lockdown or no lockdown!
    Additionally, I have another problem that is affecting me at the moment whilst watching more things on catchup. I find that the programmes play OK until the adverts, after which the programmes very often freezes. When I come out and in again the programme restarts from the beginning, with no option to resume, and I often have the problem again. 
    I found a similar issue reported last year and responded to by Sarah. I have done a factory reset on my Sony TV, but nowhere was I asked to complete privacy settings and I can't find them anywhere. I haven't spend much time testing whether this has fixed the issue with the adverts throwing out the programmes, so will have to watch more. It is very annoying that after the introduction of a Watch List within My TV, it does not allow you to watch part of an episode and later resume where you left off. If you want to continue to watch, you have to go to the App to be able to "Resume'. The Watch List reverts to the start. Will this be fixed, as the new feature working in this way is not an enhancement?
    edited 18 May 2020, 8:57AM
    @BSmith

My T2000 hovers around 3-7%. I run with Auto Delete Off, and I’ve had recordings declined due to insufficient space.

What is your Auto Delete setting?

If it’s Off, then the box will delete recordings to make space for new ones; but these should be your oldest recordings, not the latest.

AAMOI, how many pages of recordings have you got? I have 9, including lots of HD and Series, which mean more megabytes per tile .

But if you don’t have a lot of recording tiles, this may indicate your disc capacity has dropped, which would again point to the need for an Option 5 MM.
    BSmith said:
    I found a similar issue reported last year and responded to by Sarah. I have done a factory reset on my Sony TV, but nowhere was I asked to complete privacy settings and I can't find them anywhere. I haven't spend much time testing whether this has fixed the issue with the adverts throwing out the programmes, so will have to watch more. It is very annoying that after the introduction of a Watch List within My TV, it does not allow you to watch part of an episode and later resume where you left off. If you want to continue to watch, you have to go to the App to be able to "Resume'. The Watch List reverts to the start. Will this be fixed, as the new feature working in this way is not an enhancement?
    @BSmith

They aren’t privacy settings per se; they are the Terms & Conditions.

If you haven’t completed these, you will get the problems you see. 

Go back and Factory Reset again, and pay careful attention during the reboot and setup, so that you see when the T&Cs come up, and be sure to complete them individually.

How you describe Watch List working on the TV is how it works on the boxes also. I just tried the box Continue Watching on a programme we watched last night, on catchup, and that started it again also.

But I agree it would be better if this function really was Continue Watching from where you left off, on both platforms.

But YouView boxes are not alone here; when leaving off a binge-watch on NowTV or Amazon Sticks, I find it necessary to get a few seconds into the next episode, or else they pick up back at the start of the episode we had last watched.
    I haven't had the disappearing problem recently.
    Regarding the issue with freezing after adverts, it now more frequent,including as the program starts and during replay in both watch list and via main All4 app. I've noticed that the time elapsed indicator along the bottom appears to show the total series time, rather than just the episode.

I have repeated the factory reset on the Sony Bravia tv. Nowhere during that process is there mention of Terms and Conditions of similar. I have looked around the settings but can't find anything relating to that. It is an old model, probably 15 years old?

My recording space is currently at 2% free. I have 13 pages of recordings - many are series recordings, to my knowledge none are HD. My Auto Delete is on and I know that should mean that oldest recordings should be deleted when space is low.
    @BSmith

Sony Android TVs with YouView first came out in 2015.

Problems with earlier Sony TVs will not be YouView-related. 
    I don't know what you mean. I have a BT youview box (not through BT tv). And still have recordings disappearing.
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 609 ✭✭
    edited 24 May 2020, 8:41PM
    Hi BSmith, without being rude in any way, (only trying to help) why do you run your Hard drive to nearly 100%? This is a road for disaster. The Hard drive needs a little bit of breathing space + as Roy mentions you will get missed recording due to not having enough space on hard drive. Pvrs have always been the same main hard drive design since the early 2000's when Humax designed the 8000/9200 models of Freeview pvr.  You also have a 2 hours swap file buffer that works for the continuous pause/rewind/fast forward feature on pvrs.

If you are running out of space my recommendation is to use another pvr alongside the Youview (maybe Freeview to avoid remote control affecting 2 boxes near each other) I change between them & make sure hard drives aren't too full up. Another idea is  when the pvr is out of warranty upgrade the hard drive to a larger drive. This is how I use my pvrs. You could even have another Youview in another room if you have a spare tv/internet/aerial feed. I think when the drive starts getting to nearly 90% full I would be getting ready to start deleting recordings to not only prevent problems, but also so hard drive don't lock up & get corrupted/need a full factory reset. Wish you good luck in solving your problem. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
    BSmith said:
    I don't know what you mean. I have a BT youview box (not through BT tv). And still have recordings disappearing.
    You said;
    I have repeated the factory reset on the Sony Bravia tv. Nowhere during that process is there mention of Terms and Conditions of similar. I have looked around the settings but can't find anything relating to that. It is an old model, probably 15 years old?

The advice that you were trying, and failing, to follow, was for Sony Android TVs with YouView. 

So I was pointing out that this is a complete red herring in your case.
    Still having problems with All4 freezing after adverts. Regarding the disappearing recordings, and the comment on running close to capacity, isn't this the point of having the option to allow current recordings to delete earliest unlocked recordings? This shouldn't be the cause.