Alexa voice search

DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 385 ✭✭
edited 23 May 2020, 8:44PM in Community
Any chance Alexa voice search will be improved for Youview over time.
I find although it works most of the time. Now and again I have to re-pair it with my Echos.
Also will in time the Alexa voice command be able to do more stuff with the Youview box. Like open apps that are on the Youview box.
I seen a demo of the Amazon Fire TV cube on QVC the day and the Alexa commands for the TV looked good and Lee Hohbein who I also follow on Facebook said it can also control your Sky or Virgin box. Will the same come to Youview in time.

Darren

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭
    Many things have been tried with the Alexa Voice app. Unfortunately they weren't any good.
    Its easier to use the remote.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 385 ✭✭
    I'm a sort of a fan of the Amazon Echos and Alexa and was sort of hopping it would be improved for the Youview boxes but if it may not to be then that's fine.

Darren
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 383
    edited 24 May 2020, 7:25PM
    🕶. 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭
    As I come downstairs in the dark, I say “OK Google, Lounge on” and the three Hue lights come on.

No ‘ask Hue to switch the lights on’, or other unnecessary circumlocutions.

And it switches them on - when and if Alexa can bring the YouView box out of standby, I will look at it again. But not until.
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
    An echo dot and fire stick are totally compatible with one another and merge seamlessly.

A YouView box on the other hand, is a far more complex matter. And if kodikid wants to say it isn't without ever even testing the platform with one, well... 
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 May 2020, 11:08AM
    Can’t you just use Yonomi with Alexa. I know I use it with Alexa and harmony and saying ‘Alexa turn on BTTV’, it turns the TV on changes it to hdmi2, turns on my amp and turns it to the YouView box input, brings my YouView box out of standby and cancels the menu. It also does all the opposite when I say Alexa turn off BTTV. It will also go straight to the recordings by saying Alexa show recordings due to it having the remote code for direct to recordings that is missing from the remote :)
    Harmony hubs are only about £50 and can control almost everything. Lights, Heating etc etc. Use with an app on your mobile or paired with Alexa for voice control.
    Thats top information. As all the things and functions you state worked, an echo dot on its own wouldn't do. I'm sorry I can only give you a thanks as I'd like to give you a like as well. :smiley:

@Piers - info worth noting.
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darren said:
    will in time the Alexa voice command be able to do more stuff with the Youview box
    Yes, all kinds of stuff is still "on the roadmap", although sometimes the council shows up and installs a new roundabout and some traffic calming, but hopefully we'll get there soon.

edited 24 May 2020, 7:24PM
    Stephen said:
    Darren said:
    will in time the Alexa voice command be able to do more stuff with the Youview box
    Yes, all kinds of stuff is still "on the roadmap", although sometimes the council shows up and installs a new roundabout and some traffic calming, but hopefully we'll get there soon.

🕶

‘calming’, not a word usually associated with @kodikid 😛
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
    edited 24 May 2020, 7:26PM
    🤫
    You are a roundabout. Didn't you know?
    edited 24 May 2020, 7:26PM
    🕶

edited 24 May 2020, 8:18PM
    Stephen said:
    Darren said:

If they have the will, just like Amazon Prime Retail. Ho Hum.... 
    Stephen said:
    Darren said:

1. Tut tut, naughty Stephen. Can you believe what YouView thought appropriate to put in their Community Terms of Use?

2. The YouView Community is not an appropriate place to discuss YouView’s technology roadmap. Please don’t ask questions or make comments about our roadmap, as we will not respond to them and your comments may be removed.
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭
    @kodikid you have removed four of your posts in this thread.
    Can you explain why? 
    It means that this thread contains other comments that make no sense. 
    This practise is very damaging to the forum. 
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Roy oh I was of course talking about my own personal roadmap (as provided by Ordnance Survey, covering from London to Durham).
    Hmm, is there something in the guidelines about politics?
    Oh yes point 9.
    Well, there will be no further discussion of roads or maps.
    Thankyou for your understanding in this difficult time.
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 327 ✭✭
    jimb said:
    @kodikid you have removed four of your posts in this thread.
    Can you explain why? 
    It means that this thread contains other comments that make no sense. 
    This practise is very damaging to the forum. 
    Is it 1984?