Advice on Humax DTR-T2000 not working & possible replacement options

LebowskiLebowski Member Posts: 78
My youview box has stopped working.  Power light is on, but cannot get it into maintenance mode.  Just whirrs away, like it normally sounds when starting up, but nothing on the screen.  Is there anything I can try if I can't get into maintenance mode?

Would also be interested on views on long term reliability of the DTR-T2000.  See Humax no longer sell them, but I could pick one up on e-bay, or get a Humax Freeplay.  I do REALLY like the youview product, but not sure if second hand ones would be reaching end of their life cycle by now.

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,816 ✭✭✭
    @Lebowski

DTR-T2000s have a good track record for reliability.

The last-ditch remedy for a stuck box is to give it a bit of a shaking, or a judicious thump with the heel of your hand, in case it is the disc drive that is stuck.

If that frees it up, and it starts working again, then it would be prudent to replace the disc drive, but with that, the box should be OK going forward.

Or a new one if it isn’t just the disc drive.
    Three cheers for reasoned debate, whether for or against
  • LebowskiLebowski Member Posts: 78
    Many thanks Roy.  Nothing to lose so I'll get shaking!
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 294
    For a little more I would invest in the 4k youview box. 
    There isn't that much choice in the retail market and in my opinion the freeview play offerings are not as good.
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If literally nothing happens on HDMI, not even an indication from the TV that a signal is being attempted, are you able to try plugging in with SCART or Composite just to see if something about the HDMI port/cable/sockets/plugs on either end is the problem?
    Hi Stephen.  I've tried with both hdmi and scart and nothing doing.  I guess it's just stuck in the start up loop.  Tried shaking and thumping as Roy suggested in case disc stuck.  Guess these things don't go on indefinitely, but shame as it hasn't given any indications it was on the way out.
    kodikid said:
    For a little more I would invest in the 4k youview box. 
    There isn't that much choice in the retail market and in my opinion the freeview play offerings are not as good.
    So having shaken kicked and tried scart lead my box is definitely dead.  I've not got a 4k tele or hdr tele.  Are those the main advantages of the humax dtr-t4000 or does it have other advantages.  Also is there 4k or hdr content via freeview if I do upgrade my tv, or is it only for subscription services?  I don't like the look of the outside of the box or the remote control compared to the t2000.

And finally could I ask, if I stick with the humax dtr-t2000, whether the 500GB and 1TB are effectively identical in performance and just have different storage?  Or is the 1TB being a later model somehow better otherwise?  Any advice gratefully received!  many thanks.
    edited 24 May 2020, 10:49PM
    @Lebowski

I have a T4000, and it is the fastest YouView box out there.

You might find a little 4K content, experimentally, on the BBC iPlayer, and there is some in Netflix and Amazon Video, though neither can hold a candle to real 4K over satellite or from a UHD player.

The upscaling of HD to 4K that it does, though, is pretty inferior, so I run mine at 1080p and let my TV make a better job of the upscaling.

And I watch Netflix and Amazon 4K native on the TV anyway.

The outside of the box, and its compactness, are fine with me, but I use a traditional T1000/T2000 remote with it, which I prefer, and it seems entirely compatible.

There are no technical differences between the 500GB and 1TB T2000 boxes apart from the disc size.

Despite the T4000 responding faster, the T2000 has always been perfectly fast enough for me, and it still is - even the most demanding new apps don’t make it cough.
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 483 ✭✭
    Just to balance things there are some viable options:
    Manhattan T3-R - seems to be highly rated by some & (in normal circumstances) good support.
    Humax FVP-5000 - more recording capability than any other unit out there but pretty grim in my opinion.
    Panasonic HWT-150 (& others in the range) - a very solid , reliable unit. Uses lists rather than tiles which some prefer.

Personally I'd probably go with the Manhattan when they get their remote recording app sorted.

Thanks Roy & Tim for your comments.
    I note all your recommendations are freeview play Tim.  Feels like we've time warped back to vhs vs betamax.  Not quite sure why they spent all that money developing youview to then come up for freeview play, but such is life.
    I'll have a little look at the options and make my choice.  In the meantime limping along with my talk talk youview box (no hard disc).  Catch up tv has sure come along leaps and bounds in the last five years, and apart from having to watch some adverts not minding too much the loss of a hard disc for the time being.
    Have a good bank holiday guys,
    thanks again.
    @Lebowski

Freeview Play was the broadcaster’s response to the de facto takeover of YouView as a subscription platform for BT TV. They didn’t like it, and so they built what they (and we early adopters of YouView) though YouView ought to be, and was going to be.

And I don’t blame them; bad enough that BT are assiduously removing all mention of YouView for their remotes, their boxes, and their literature, and kind of making out that it’s BT TV and they invented it.

And now they are doing the same with NowTV; look, look, they cry, freedom to change your subscription every month, no lock in, how good of us!

When all that has really happened is that with full NowTV finally on YouView, BT can trumpet what has been NowTV’s business model for years, as if they had just invented it.

I think ‘BT’ is a misnomer; really, they should be called the ‘Borg’.
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Member, Super User Posts: 835 ✭✭✭
    Roy said:

So not BT but TB :D and not so much an alien group but an infection

John.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    Anaglypta said:
    Roy said:

So not BT but TB :D and not so much an alien group but an infection

John.

Well, they are always looking at ways to make us cough up.....😓🥱🥱🤧😷
    I'm really intrigued having looked at the Manhattan T3-R.  Does look like they have copied the Youview UI and improved upon it certainly with the EPG.  Also sounds like it has quicker processor, so slick like the T4000 youview box.

Strange, as while all Youview platforms look virtually identical (albeit with colour changes for Talk Talk and BT), on Freeview Play each box has made them look different.  So the Humax FVP-5000 looks more blocky and a step backwards visually to my mind.  The Panasonic HWT-150 EPG has the grey cheap look to it that my years old panasonic TV has.

For those who have moved from Youview to the Manhattan is are the only real disadvantages
    1) That you can't open the EPG if watching catch up television prog (but presumably can if you are watching a programme recorded on the box)

2) That the search feature involves is a bit more fiddly (from what I can see - having used an old Nokia phone I rather like the way you search on the Humax Freeview box, like you would text on an old phone).

Or are there other things about Youview that are a nicer user experience than the T3-R.
    I'm really not bothered about 4k or UHD, but love the simplicity of Youview and wonder if I'd regret moving to Freeview Play, but from what I can see of the Manhatta T3-R youtube clip it looks pretty slick.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!
    Many thanks
    p.s. I've read Nigel's comments in this thread https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/comment/19004044#Comment_19004044
    and really just interested if anyone with a Manhattan box misses youview in any way?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭
    Basically Freeview Play just give their operating system to each manufacturer then let them get on with it, so the design on and of each boxes OS are all different to one another.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    Then I think Manhattan's strategy of copying the Youview interface and improving it was a cunning move.  Guess Humax felt they had to re-invent the wheel, and think they took a step backwards.  Each to their own I guess,