BT software update 32.45.0 / 3.6.190

SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,573 admin
edited 4 May 2020, 6:47PM in Announcements
Hi all, 

Please use this thread to discuss the most recent BT software update 32.45.0 / 3.6.190  for T2xxx & T4000 devices.

This release adds BritBox player to the selection of apps available. 

Please note that this is a phased release so not all boxes will receive it at the same. 

Thanks,
Sarah

Comments

• jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭
    @Sarah including retail versions?
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 305
    edited 4 May 2020, 7:02PM
    Brilliant, right up there with STV (apologies to those of a Gaelic disposition) and Sounds on the list of pointless apps. 
    Disney + obviously will be arriving in the "near" future. 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • Ken Hill1Ken Hill1 Member Posts: 136 ✭✭
    Sarah said:
    Hi all, 

Please use this thread to discuss the most recent BT software update 32.45.0 / 3.6.190  for T2xxx & T4000 devices.

Please note that this is a phased release so not all boxes will receive it at the same. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Thanks Sarah just updated at the software and got britbox t 400 and t 2100 boxs now I've got to get a code to sign in britbox I tried to type in the activation code but I can't find it it just goes straight to the to the homepage ?
  • Ken Hill1Ken Hill1 Member Posts: 136 ✭✭
    Ken Hill1 said:
    Sarah said:
    Hi all, 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Thanks Sarah just updated at the software and got britbox t 400 and t 2100 boxs now I've got to get a code to sign in britbox I tried to type in the activation code but I can't find it it just goes straight to the to the homepage ?
    Ken Hill1 said:
    Sarah said:
    Hi all, 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Thanks Sarah just updated at the software and got britbox t 400 and t 2100 boxs now I've got to get a code to sign in britbox I tried to type in the activation code but I can't find it it just goes straight to the to the homepage ? Ok I'm signed in thanks again Sarah.

• scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 May 2020, 8:40AM

@Sarah - Any plans to include this in the universal search and recommendation's on the box as per Netflix/Amazon/NowTV etc, although I am sure there are many non-subscribers that would hate that idea :)

How about having an options settings with tick boxes to include certain apps in the search results (I bet that is in Keith's list somewhere if I actually checked :) )

• LukеLukе Member Posts: 40
    edited 6 May 2020, 1:18PM
    Sarah said:

@Sarah @Louise Murdoch is this roll out for the T2xxx & T4000 devices, or just for the 3 specific models mentioned in the provided link?

• Phillip1Phillip1 Member Posts: 8
    edited 14 May 2020, 2:24PM
    I have a BT retail box which is not in line to receive the latest software update with BritBox onboard. This morning I bought a BT T2200 box I didn't need just so I could watch BritBox. Two YouView boxes and NEITHER have BritBox. I have tried manual updating the T2200 many, many times, and I have factory reset it many times. I also accessed maintenance mode to do a software reset. Nothing I do provokes it to download the latest software. Why is it that I am always last in the queue for phased software updates? It doesn't matter whether it's a computer OS update, an entertainment box, anything, I am never at the front of the queue. Surely for customers who really, really want an update there must be a mechanism to force it? Two boxes I have bought. Should I buy another T2200? Might I be lucky the third time? Thank goodness Apple doesn't do 'phased' updates!
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 563 ✭✭
    edited 14 May 2020, 2:44PM
    Hi Philip1,
    Why purchase another Youview simply to get Britbox? You must be very, very frustrated with finding out that your latest box still can't get Britbox. How much did you spend? For less money you could purchase a USB stick in the menatime, that has many more up to the minute Apps inc. Britbox, probably more supported with updates etc, & Apps than Youview. I appreciate you probably want it all neat & tidy & all on one platform, but technology can be a gamble.

You can't guarantee what Apps will be removed/added with the Smart Tvs. I know my Tv: Samsung no longer supports all the Apps. I have Apps across various devices. If only it was a perfect world and everything was in the same place. Hopefully Britbox will be on your box very soon. Take care. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,887 ✭✭✭
    edited 15 May 2020, 8:48AM
    @John L @Philip1

I wanted to know where else I could watch Britbox, besides YouView, for which the obvious question, I thought, was ‘What devices can I watch Britbox on?’

It does not seem to have occurred to Britbox that this question should appear in its Help & Support 😢

So I looked at ‘Where can I stream Britbox?’, which you might think was pretty equivalent, but gives the answer ‘BritBox is only available to UK residents. You can also watch BritBox if you are temporarily outside the UK but within the EU’. So, different sort of ‘where’ 🤨

The answer is actually under ‘Can I watch on multiple devices?’, which you might think was about simultaneity, but no. Ho hum. 

‘Yes, you can access BritBox on the web, your Apple TV, Samsung (2016-2020), Panasonic, LG, Vestel and Netgem Smart TVs, iOS, Android devices, Amazon Fire TV and YouView Retail boxes’.

So they haven’t got the memo about YouView BT boxes; and as regards Amazon and Roku streaming devices (HDMI, not USB, as I was reminded recently on the Sony Community) Amazon Fire TV devices maybe, but no Roku/NowTV ones.

So unless you want to use Chromecast, not many devices you can use to see Britbox on your TV. 

Looks like YouView is ahead of the curve for once here! 😎

These tests for COVID-19 get right up my nose.
    Not so much ahead of the curve more like the owners of youview (bbc itv &4 etc) spookily also have a vested interest in Britbox. 
    The other big media players are simply not interested. 
    kodikid said:
    Not so much ahead of the curve more like the owners of youview (bbc itv &4 etc) spookily also have a vested interest in Britbox. 
    The other big media players are simply not interested. 
    And who are these other big media players who are ‘simply not interested’? Can you name them?
    edited 15 May 2020, 12:03PM
    Yes

Sky, that's a satellite operation that also runs now tv, that's a streaming service. Then there is a outfit commonly referred to as Virgin media.
     Also a little tech company called roku. 
    They capture around  a quarter of the home viewing audience. 

Of course never say never but considering Virgin was keen to drop the UK tv  (gold etc) channels ,Britbox can't be high on their wishlist. 
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭
    Ah yes, Virgin Media, that behemoth with absolutely no content of its own. Unless you count Chris Evans.
    edited 15 May 2020, 3:28PM
    redchiz said:
    Ah yes, Virgin Media, that behemoth with absolutely no content of its own. Unless you count Chris Evans.
    Hate to be pedantic but the Chris meister works for Virgin radio (news uk) and not Virgin media (Liberty Global) which spookly actually reinforces your point.
    Hate to be ironic, but, oh never mind.
    Spooky again as sex pistols never mind the, was actually on the Virgin record label.
  • MalliberMalliber Member Posts: 1
    I too am still wedded to v 32.43. Despite knowing that a new software version exists for my BT Box, my unit keeps telling me I’m up to date. I’m not and consequently, despite me paying a subscription for both BT TV and Britbox, I can’t watch Britbox on my BT unit and nor can I force a download of the software that will enable it. 

I can understand a phased rollout of automatic updates but manual updates should give us the latest software if one exists, not a factually incorrect message saying that we’re up to date when we clearly are not ! 

Even this website announces that a new production release update is available & lists it’s features, yet there is no way to get it until somebody else decides when you can have it. 

Britbox was supposed to launch on Youview back in November. It’s now 6 months later and still no sign of it for me.  Considering that both Britbox and Youview are owned by ITV and BBC, it surely can’t be that difficult to make their own service appear on their own platform ?
  • BawmerBawmer Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    if I remember correctly, I once did a maintenance reset no. 2 which also loaded the most recent software. Maybe worth a try.
    @Malliber As is made clear in the announcement: "Please note that this is a phased release so not all boxes will receive it at the same."

You cannot force the update, it will reach you in its own sweet time. 
    edited 16 May 2020, 4:28PM
    Bawmer said:
    if I remember correctly, I once did a maintenance reset no. 2 which also loaded the most recent software. Maybe worth a try.
    Yes, because it was released to you at that point, and would have updated your box overnight, if left to itself.

Or equally, would have updated at the same point in time as when you did the MM2, if you had asked only for a software update at that moment instead.

An outside possibility is that your box had a bad case of software constipation, and the MM2 was your Ex-Lax. 

But whatever the circumstances, the update had already been released to you at that point; the MM2 did not magically suck it down.
  • GGGGGG Member Posts: 3
    Hi all
    Please can anyone confirm that DTRT2110 boxes will get the update for britbox app?
    Have been looking around but that model doesn't seem to get mentioned
    Many thanks
    @GGG

There’s nothing rolling out to the BT Retail boxes at present.

You could ask Britbox, or ask on the BT TV Community, see if anybody knows, and can say.

You will need both criteria satisfied to be sure, though 😛
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭
    @GGG - the retail boxes normally follow after the completion of the rollout to contract boxes so look for an announcement in a couple of weeks
    OK thanks guys 
    I will keep looking around for info, 👍
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 361 ✭✭
    edited 19 May 2020, 8:47PM
    My BT Youview in living room updated an hour or so ago. After I did update software and the Britbox app is now on the box.
    My BT Youview retail box still don't have the update but I find it always seem to update a few weeks after the box I got from BT updated.
    Although some will be happy to have a Britbox app on Youview. I for one don't seem to bothered about having the Britbox servive.
    I would rather have the Disney + app so I can give that a try.

Darren
    Dream on☹
  • briankalebriankale Member Posts: 1
    edited 23 May 2020, 4:08PM
    Still waiting for Brit box update on DTR T4100. North East region. Any ideas when Please?
    Just for people's information my DTRT2110 updated today in Northampton 👍
    GGG said:
    Just for people's information my DTRT2110 updated today in Northampton 👍
    YouView’s algorithm for who gets what when in a phased release seems to be a closely guarded secret, and it varies too; sometimes I get an update quite early in the release, and sometimes rather later.

So I don’t think it necessarily hits St James at the same time as it hits Far Cotton...
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,014 ✭✭
    looks like the rollout has completed as

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/latest-software-versions/

now shows it complete for the BT retail and PlusNet variants.