Full NOW TV is now available on YouView devices

13»

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,024 ✭✭✭
    al said:
    My wife tried the Macbook route but subtitles only lasted a few minutes then disappeared. They all suddenly appeared at the end of the show. I assume the the roku box is pretty much the same as the nowtv stick with a couple of extra services(?) [lazy I know but losing the will with now]
    The NowTV stick is made by Roku for Sky. it’s pretty much locked up to NowTV, with some extra NowTV-specific features, especially during setup where you have to sign up for NowTV, and you get virtual passes to any Entertainment, etc., offer bundled with the Stick. And only those other services that Sky authorise to be on it, which do not include Amazon Video, surprise, surprise.

The Roku Stick actually comes with many many other apps, and no subscription tie-ups to any of them unless you want this. Mostly of niche interest at best, but this is the only way to get NowTV plus Amazon Video on a single stick. And Disney+ and Apple, and of course Netflix and YouTube, but no Britbox (yet?)
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭
    @Roy I too am a great fan of Roku. But NOW TV and Amazon Prime Video are also available on Chromecast, as are most services including Britbox. Apple TV+ can be cast from the Chrome browser on a computer, but not from mobile devices.
    edited 21 April 2020, 11:58AM
    Hi @redchiz

I don’t understand ‘available on Chromecast’, stated as if it was equivalent to ‘available on a Roku Stick’.

While whatever you are streaming has to be supported (on, over, by or for, depending on how you look at it) Chromecast, don't you have to have anything you want to stream over Chromecast already available, somehow, on the device you are streaming it from?

So Chromecast is just a way of watching something you already have on another device, presumably with a smaller screen that your TV, on that larger screen?

i know Chromecast takes over the heavy lifting, thus relieving the source device of the job - but how do you then control it, if you want to pause while you nip to the fridge to get a beer say, or to deal with the after effects of doing that earlier - on the TV, or do you still need the source device for that?

Or did I miss the memo?
    Hey @Roy, of course they work differently, we all know that. My point remains about availability of services. Roku is great if you don't have a computer, or any mobile devices. Not so good if you want to watch BT Sport, the one remaining significant gap in it's otherwise comprehensive arsenal. And of course you can pause, rewind etc. on Chromecast from the casting device. Using it much like you would a separate remote control. 
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 332
    Anyone who put their now device out to pasture when youview acquired full fat now tv might want to reinstall it now that Disney + and Roku channel are recent additions to now devices.

Ignore this if you disagree. 
    I don't understand the "Roku channel" reference? But Disney+ has been added to a device for a service owned by Disney? Fancy that!
    redchiz said:
    I don't understand the "Roku channel" reference? But Disney+ has been added to a device for a service owned by Disney? Fancy that!
    NowTV is owned by Sky, @redchiz

Sky is owned by Comcast, publicly traded, symbol CMCSA on NASDAQ.

Disney is another, and quite separate, publicly traded company, symbol DIS on NASDAQ. There is no single owner. There are almost 1.5 billion shares of Disney Stock. Robert Iger, the President and  Chairman of the company, and the largest single stockholder, owns over a million of those shares.

Or have I missed the thrust of your observation?
    kodikid said:
    Anyone who put their now device out to pasture when youview acquired full fat now tv might want to reinstall it now that Disney + and Roku channel are recent additions to now devices.

Full fat streaming services have subtitles, @kodikid

As we rather rely on them, in these mumblecore days of soft voices and loud music scores, our other NowTV devices are a long way from going out to pasture.
    edited 25 April 2020, 6:56PM
    @Roy You are right, my brain got addled I think ....

redchiz said:
    Roku channel is a streaming service available on roku and now devices. 
    Some good content in my opinion. 
  • westonewestone Member Posts: 11
    The NOW TV devices have improved a lot recently and now only need the Prime Video app. 
    westone said:
    The NOW TV devices have improved a lot recently and now only need the Prime Video app. 
    Perhaps that will occur when Amazon sticks start carryIng NowTV?
  • Wayne MouleWayne Moule Member Posts: 4
    edited 30 May 2020, 1:18PM
    NOW TV Boost is a much needed boost!
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭
    WHY?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    Visionman said:
    WHY?
    Err better sound, picture  and the ability to watch on more screens 🤔
    edited 30 May 2020, 3:51PM
    Wayne Moule Why do you think that?
    edited 30 May 2020, 6:46PM
    @kodikid

>BURP<  :D  :tired_face:
    Visionman said:
    @kodikid

>BURP<  :D  :tired_face:
    Watching the repeats,@Visionman........?
    You.......
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,022 ✭✭
    Do we have and indications as to when subtitles will be available on now Tv content on the Youview  Now Tv app please ?
    I'm watching Man City V Burnley on Sky Sports Main Event HD and the sound keeps on intermittently cutting out. Anyone else?
    Visionman said:
    I'm watching Man City V Burnley on Sky Sports Main Event HD and the sound keeps on intermittently cutting out. Anyone else?
    What device? I get that sometimes on large, but not on my iPad which I am using just now. On NOW TV.

edited 22 June 2020, 9:41PM
    YouView T2000, watching on a Sony YouView TV 2015 model. KDX43 something or other.