The STV Player is now available for Sony Android TVs in Scotland

Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
edited 19 December 2016, 9:55PM in Announcements
Hi all,

The STV player is now available for the first time on all Sony Android TVs. Available only in Scotland, viewers can access the STV Player via the YouView Players page.

You can now scroll back through the channel guide on STV, STV+1 and STV HD channels and see what programmes are available to watch on catch-up. Find out more about the STV Player here.

Thanks,

Phil

Comments

• scoopscoop Member Posts: 1
    How do u dowload stv app
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 825 ✭✭
    Hi Scoop, 
    Welcome to the forum. It depends which device you are trying to download to. Do you mean your Smart Tv, Your Tablet/Smart Phone? You need to give a little bit more information. Hopefully someone can advise/help you. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,889 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 April 2020, 5:19PM
    John L said:
    Hi Scoop, 
    Welcome to the forum. It depends which device you are trying to download to. Do you mean your Smart Tv, Your Tablet/Smart Phone? You need to give a little bit more information. Hopefully someone can advise/help you. John L
    Hi @John L

We can’t discount the possibility that @scoop might possibly be referring to  STV on YouView on the Sony Android TVs, as mentioned in @Philip Trott’s original post in this thread.

That being so, we need to discern @scoop’s difficulty in following Phil’s advice to go to the YouView Players page on his Sony TV, and find it there.

‘Not being in Scotland‘ could be one evident difficulty; this probably translates to not getting STV on Channel 3 on the EPG, though I suppose it could relate to not having input a Scottish postcode.

Me, I’d be very inclined to look in the Google Android (TV) Store on the Sony, and see if it appears there, and if it can be downloaded to the TV.

The inability to get this service on any non-YouView device, though, is probably best taken up with STV themselves.

I have just investigated downloading it on this iPad; see the attached screenshot. I don’t know if it could tell if I looked up Edinburgh Castle and used that, though, when I am in reality in a decidedly Sassenach location....

‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 825 ✭✭
    Well Scoop, I think Roy has answered your question & hopefully given you enough information. Hopefully you are able to sort your problem. Please let the forum know how you get on. Plus take care & look after yourself during this very worrying time. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • tnnursetnnurse Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the same boat as Scoop. I have an Android Sony Smart TV, I live in Scotland but can't get STV Player to work. I'm connected to Virgin media for my internet via cable modem  and TV feed via VM box. I have Netflix, iPlayer and Amazon Prime all installed on on the TV and working fine, direct from the net via associated apps and bypassing the VM box as it allows me 4k access where available. But, for the life of me, I can't get the Youview app to install itself correctly. When I select "cable" for my TV source (though why that matters when I'm trying to run via net streaming us unclear) the app then goes through the process of trying to find channels on the antenna broadcast service, which I am not using as my broadcast service comes via the cable box, fails to find any channels and loops back to the start, ad infinitum. Any help?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,889 ✭✭✭
    edited 10 July 2020, 1:38PM
    Greetings, @tnnurse and welcome to the Community!

None, I am afraid. YouView on these sets comes via a terrestrial aerial only.

You could try disabling YouView, and see if ‘cable’ then gets your broadcast channels from the Virgin box, but I doubt it.

And maybe the STV Player only comes from the YouView side anyway?

However, if you can do a terrestrial tune, maybe with an indoor antenna, then once you have tuned in STV, you don’t need to keep the aerial connected, and the STV Player should now work, even without it.

I imagine you have the same issue with All4, though you don’t mention that?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • tnnursetnnurse Member Posts: 2
    OK. That answers my question. I haven't tried All4 but I assume it also comes through Youview so would likely have the same problem. I can get ITV hub and All4 via the VM box, although its a bit clunky but not STV player which means I can't catch up on regional programmes. A bit of a pain. Your suggestion to temporarily tune the TV, set it up and then disconnect the aerial might be worth a shot. I'll give it a go later and report back.