Sound problem with playback from Humax DTR-T2100

Snowman1Snowman1 Member Posts: 4
Sound problem with playback from Humax DTR-T2100
Setup:-
DTR-T2100 connected with HDMI lead to Sony KD49XE8077SU
Conected to second TV with Scart lead

Problem:-
If HDMI connected TV switched OFF, TV connected via SCART lead has sound problems withplaying back recorded TV.
Sound there for a few seconds then disappears for 10-30 secs, then comes back, then goes and keeps doing this.
If HDMI connected TV switched on - no problems.
Play live Digital TV through DTR-T2100 - no problems

I have tried:-
Different SCART lead - no change
Unplugging HDMI lead - SCART connected TV works OK
Switch HDMI TV on - SCART connected TV works OK

Any suggestions please?

Comments

  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately the youview box is designed to work on only one television set at a time hence the issues you are having.
  • Snowman1Snowman1 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the reply. The way in which it manifests itself is a little strange.
    If 2 TVs are on (HDMI & SCART) it is OK
    If 2 TVs are on (both on SCART through a splitter) it is OK
    If only SCART tv is switched on but HDMI is off i.e. only one TV active - fault occurs.
    Is there no way round this other than possible putting them both on SCART connections?
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    Are you using two youview boxes or just one? Also it no good having a youview box connected by scart if can help it as you won't be able to watch high definition content.
  • Snowman1Snowman1 Member Posts: 4
    There is another older youview box in the house connected to a third TV but the problem described relates to just one box. Yes, I wanted to connect the youview box to the main TV via HDMI for HD reasons. The second TV referred to in the problem is in a different room from the youview box and definition is not so important so I convert AV to RF and pass it with the digital signal by Co-ax. When diagnosing the problem, I removed the converter and plugged the scart o/p from the youview straight into the second TV to remove some complication.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,871 ✭✭✭
    Hi Snowman.
    Your problem isn't the box. Its the lead.
    You see, a HDMI lead is 'intelligent' in that it not only sends signals to your TV it also recieves signals from it. So if your TV is turned off, the box knows its turned off and there your problem lies. 
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭
    Daniel said:
    Unfortunately the youview box is designed to work on only one television set at a time hence the issues you are having.
    Where have you found that information, Daniel?

    I used to run my Slingbox off the SCART while running my TV off the HDMI, without ever getting issues.

    I run it off the HDMI output instead now, with an HDMI splitter, so I can’t say if this is a recently introduced issue with SCART.

    But I know of no such limitation as you describe, and learning of your source for this assertion would be welcomed.
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    Roy said:
    Daniel said:
    Unfortunately the youview box is designed to work on only one television set at a time hence the issues you are having.
    Where have you found that information, Daniel?

    I used to run my Slingbox off the SCART while running my TV off the HDMI, without ever getting issues.

    I run it off the HDMI output instead now, with an HDMI splitter, so I can’t say if this is a recently introduced issue with SCART.

    But I know of no such limitation as you describe, and learning of your source for this assertion would be welcomed.
    A sling box is quite a expensive item which could make it unavailable to some people. With this user using a scart lead it seamed obvious to me they didn't have a slingbox. A slingbox in my experience is probably the only way to get what the user is trying to accomplish working and working well which was my reason behind the previous post as I didn't want to overcomplicate things. However it occurs to me I may have had the opposite affect on this occasion.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭
    Visionman said:
    Hi Snowman.
    Your problem isn't the box. Its the lead.
    You see, a HDMI lead is 'intelligent' in that it not only sends signals to your TV it also recieves signals from it. So if your TV is turned off, the box knows its turned off and there your problem lies. 
    If this were the case, why would it be only recordings that were affected? Snowman says live TV, under these circumstances, is OK.

    I think you are right about the YouView box knowing the TV is off, though, as it all works OK if Snowman pulls the HDMI lead off.

    Which suggests two more tests - (i) what happens if the TV is left connected, but switched off at the mains? And (ii) what happens if the TV is left on, but switched away from the HDMI input from the YouView box, to another input, or to live broadcast TV?

    And @Snowman, have you tried a soft reset? While not recording nor about to, touch the On/Standby Button on your box for just over 8 seconds, until it non-destructively soft reboots.

    Clears all sorts of weirdosities, unless you have just made the first report of a newly discovered hard issue.
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭
    Daniel said:
    Roy said:
    Daniel said:
    Unfortunately the youview box is designed to work on only one television set at a time hence the issues you are having.
    Where have you found that information, Daniel?

    I used to run my Slingbox off the SCART while running my TV off the HDMI, without ever getting issues.

    I run it off the HDMI output instead now, with an HDMI splitter, so I can’t say if this is a recently introduced issue with SCART.

    But I know of no such limitation as you describe, and learning of your source for this assertion would be welcomed.
    A sling box is quite a expensive item which could make it unavailable to some people. With this user using a scart lead it seamed obvious to me they didn't have a slingbox. A slingbox in my experience is probably the only way to get what the user is trying to accomplish working and working well which was my reason behind the previous post as I didn't want to overcomplicate things. However it occurs to me I may have had the opposite affect on this occasion.
    Yes - that it was a Slingbox is entirely irrelevant, as in this context it is just a SCART-receiving device, like Snowman’s second TV, and so might be expected to evince problems if what you said about the YouView box working on only one TV at a time were true. Which is why I asked, and am still asking, where you got that from.

    it was a limitation initially, but the box was fixed to allow SCART and HDMI to work simultaneously years ago.
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    Roy said:
    Daniel said:
    Roy said:
    Daniel said:
    Unfortunately the youview box is designed to work on only one television set at a time hence the issues you are having.
    Where have you found that information, Daniel?

    I used to run my Slingbox off the SCART while running my TV off the HDMI, without ever getting issues.

    I run it off the HDMI output instead now, with an HDMI splitter, so I can’t say if this is a recently introduced issue with SCART.

    But I know of no such limitation as you describe, and learning of your source for this assertion would be welcomed.
    A sling box is quite a expensive item which could make it unavailable to some people. With this user using a scart lead it seamed obvious to me they didn't have a slingbox. A slingbox in my experience is probably the only way to get what the user is trying to accomplish working and working well which was my reason behind the previous post as I didn't want to overcomplicate things. However it occurs to me I may have had the opposite affect on this occasion.
    Yes - that it was a Slingbox is entirely irrelevant, as in this context it is just a SCART-receiving device, like Snowman’s second TV, and so might be expected to evince problems if what you said about the YouView box working on only one TV at a time were true. Which is why I asked, and am still asking, where you got that from.

    it was a limitation initially, but the box was fixed to allow SCART and HDMI to work simultaneously years ago.
    Communications with my recently former ISP from around 5 months ago but if it's wrong I'm honestly not surprised. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭
    Daniel said:
    Roy said:
    Daniel said:
    Roy said:
    Daniel said:
    Unfortunately the youview box is designed to work on only one television set at a time hence the issues you are having.
    Where have you found that information, Daniel?

    I used to run my Slingbox off the SCART while running my TV off the HDMI, without ever getting issues.

    I run it off the HDMI output instead now, with an HDMI splitter, so I can’t say if this is a recently introduced issue with SCART.

    But I know of no such limitation as you describe, and learning of your source for this assertion would be welcomed.
    A sling box is quite a expensive item which could make it unavailable to some people. With this user using a scart lead it seamed obvious to me they didn't have a slingbox. A slingbox in my experience is probably the only way to get what the user is trying to accomplish working and working well which was my reason behind the previous post as I didn't want to overcomplicate things. However it occurs to me I may have had the opposite affect on this occasion.
    Yes - that it was a Slingbox is entirely irrelevant, as in this context it is just a SCART-receiving device, like Snowman’s second TV, and so might be expected to evince problems if what you said about the YouView box working on only one TV at a time were true. Which is why I asked, and am still asking, where you got that from.

    it was a limitation initially, but the box was fixed to allow SCART and HDMI to work simultaneously years ago.
    Communications with my recently former ISP from around 5 months ago but if it's wrong I'm honestly not surprised. 
    Cheers Daniel.
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • Snowman1Snowman1 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for all your comments and suggestions.
    I have followed Roys suggestions and tried further tests and regret to say it is not cured. 
    The sound kept coming and going as before. Oddly, it seems to get worse after it has been on for a while.
    I also tried leaving it connected by the HDMI lead but switching that set off at the wall, it was OK then but that is not an ideal solution as it is an android TV and takes some time to restart after power is switched off.
    I also tried a reboot of the humax box. That made no difference. 
    The main reason for a SCART connection is that it normally goes through an RF converter and passes a signal along the aerial to a set in another room. I wonder if that could be replaced with an HDMI splitter and pass an HDMI lead through the wall to the other tv? (which does have HDMI inputs).
    For the purpose of these tests, I connected the TV to the HUMAX via the SCART lead directly to eliminate other possible red herrings.
  • FixItDikFixItDik Member Posts: 5
    Hi @Snowman1, I know this was 2 years ago and you may no longer even have such a box, but did you ever get your setup to work? The reason I ask is that I have a very similar setup so that I can watch the recordings on a TV in another room. Unlike you my other room it too far away for a second hdmi lead to reach. I would say also a Slingbox is too expensive a solution for me (though I did just spend £100 on getting the signal investigated and a 5G filter fitted thinking that it was poor signals disrupting the recording). I have just swapped from an older Humax which also used to have problems with recordings (the playback would skip forward a minute) hence me thinking damaged recordings. On both boxes the issues happened regardless of which TV is being used for playback but on this newer version the problem sounds just as you described.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 July 2020, 10:45PM
    @FixItDik

    The Slingbox is a red herring here. I needed it to watch my YouView box at home in the UK from our place in Spain, for which no lead long enough has yet been devised.

    I mentioned it not as a fix, but just as an observation that it was a working SCART connection from a YouView box that was connected via HDMI to a TV that was sometimes switched on, sometimes in standby, and sometimes powered off, and it didn’t drop out.

    As above, any two live devices (and a TV in standby can be live) connected by HDMI are likely to handshake when they think they will, and it sounds here like the YouView box and the TV are starting a handshake, and then starting an attempt to link up, which mutes sound on the SCART, then it fails, so you get the sound back for a bit, then it tries again, and so on.

    What make is your TV? Sony TVs, like @Snowman’s, are known to wibble down the HDMI link when they should be quiescent; maybe yours does the same? While my Samsung was well-behaved, which is why I never had the problem?


    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • FixItDikFixItDik Member Posts: 5
    @Roy, hi and thank you for the quick reply. As it happens tonight we left the main TV on (yes, a Sony :) ) but on mute while watching a recording on the other TV and there was no drop out. As a workaround that'll do for us, I promise to post back any further observations even if it's "that's the best we could do" in due course.
  • FixItDikFixItDik Member Posts: 5
    Well, just in case anyone else has the same strange setup as mine and therefore the same issue - leaving the main TV (HDMI) on but muted meant perfect playback on the second TV (SCART). Thanks to Roy for his patient explanation as to why this is probably the case.
Sign In or Register to comment.