Now Tv on Epg

Jesmond82Jesmond82 Member Posts: 1
I am about to go out of contract on my BT tv package but I am remaining with BT on broadband. With the new flexi packages on BT Tv I simply cannot see any advantage to stay on a package that is effectively Freeview plus Now Tv but ties you to a 2year contract. My BT youview box which is the latest model Should work just as well with a direct subscription to Now Tv which can be stopped whenever I please, no 2year contract. My only issue would be will the Now Tv channels migrate to the EPG if I am still with BT on broadband but with no TV PACKAGE.

Comments

• kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 332
    edited 31 July 2020, 9:52PM
    No.

They effectively switch off the BT tv.

Not the greatest hardship accessing the channels through the app though. 

Dont rule out staying with BT tv as the retention team can be pretty enticing trying to keep your custom.

Your valid reason for abandoning BT is not lost on them and that's why they are killing off the youview retail market. 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 August 2020, 7:15AM
    Jesmond82 said:
    I am about to go out of contract on my BT tv package but I am remaining with BT on broadband. With the new flexi packages on BT Tv I simply cannot see any advantage to stay on a package that is effectively Freeview plus Now Tv but ties you to a 2year contract. My BT youview box which is the latest model Should work just as well with a direct subscription to Now Tv which can be stopped whenever I please, no 2year contract. My only issue would be will the Now Tv channels migrate to the EPG if I am still with BT on broadband but with no TV PACKAGE.
    Firstly make sure you obtained your box under the old BT rules where you got ownership, and not the new ones where they retain this, and will ask for the box back.

Actually, they will probably ask for the box back anyway, but on the old rules you don’t have to give it back; under the later agreements, you do.

Assuming that you are able to hang on to the box(!), no recordings you made off the BT TV channels will play any more; stuff off the Freeview channels will still be fine.

Shows how much I know, but isn’t there other stuff you get from BT TV, besides NowTV? Extra channels, and lashings of Sport that you will lose if you go off contract?

But anyway, if you do it, but stay with BT, then you will still see the BT TV channels in the EPG, unless you Hide them, and still get Search results from them no matter what; you just won’t be able to access them.

Including the new recordable NowTV channels. But even BT TV subscribers who also have NowTV, but not through BT TV, can’t get these.

The upside of NowTV through BT TV is the recordable channels, and also a phone helpline, which NowTV themselves famously do not provide.

Though I have seen it stated that recordings of NowTV only last as long as downloads on other devices would, which is until the material expires off NowTV. Plausible, but my requests for confirmation or denial have not been answered. Through maybe it is in the Help somewhere?

The downside of NowTV through BT TV is that it is always full price, whereas on NowTV you get offers, and you get offered lower prices to stay when you start to Cancel.

Currently, you also can’t take advantage of the free passes you get on a NowTV Stick you might buy in order to have NowTV in another room away from the YouView box, though BT are apparently working to resolve this.

The downside of NowTV through a YouView box, no matter how sourced, is that you don’t get subtitles. This is why we only ever watch NowTV via Sticks, or via the NowTV app on our Samsung TVs.

Whether YouView and NowTV are working to provide subtitles, or when these might start being available if they are, I do not know.
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 370 ✭✭
    @Roy I recorded two episodes of The Simpsons of Sky1 HD back in March and I can still watch them on my Youview box.
    Dont know about about other programmes.
    It a shame Now TV dont offer subtitles on Youview. For my dad now in his late 80s is partly deaf but he also wears reading glasses and is meant to also wear them for watching the TV but sometimes forgets to wear them when watching TV. He also dont watch as much TV as he used to.
    Both my Samsung TVs from 2013 and 2014 dont seem to support the Now TV app.
    @Darren

Did you record them from a BT TV NowTV subscription?
    Is at least one of these two episodes no longer available on NowTV today?

A ‘yes’ to both questions is needed to contradict the ‘expiry’ assertion.

A NowTV Stick is about £20, and your father can watch it on his BT TV subscription. This may be preferable to waiting Indefinitely for the YouView NowTV to sprout subtitles.

NowTV came in on all 2016 Samsung TVs, and some 2015 ones. Your older Samsung TVs missed the cut 😢

But our 2012 Samsung TV, lovingly preserved for its 3D abilities, runs hardly any smart apps natively now, a problem neatly and cheaply resolved with a Roku Stick, providing all the Freeview Players, Netflix, NowTV, Amazon Prime, and a plethora of apps that the Samsung could not have dreamed of, even in its prime (if Amazon will forgive the pun).
    edited 1 August 2020, 11:02PM
    @Roy yes it was recorded from a BT TV Now TV subscription of Sky1 HD. 
    I have the Now TV Big Entertainment pack via BT TV.
    I just checked and the two Simpsons episodes I can still watch via my Youview box in living room.
    Will look in to getting a Now TV stick or a Roku stick for dad. Would have to show him how to work it if I do get him a Now TV  or Roku stick but after that he will be able to work it fine.
    Shame my two Samsung TVs missed the cut for the Now TV app to be added to them.
    Thanks for your reply.
    edited 2 August 2020, 6:53AM
    @Darren

Do you mean you can still watch the two recordings you made, or that you can still watch those two episodes on NowTV Entertainment?

Either way, the key issue is whether you can still watch those two episodes on NowTV Entertainment or not; only if one or both have expired from there will it prove that recordings don’t expire when the online availability expires.

Of course, we will all no doubt be happiest if that can be proved....
    @Roy I can still watch the two recordings that I made. I don’t think The Simpsons is on Now TV box sets/catch up.

@Darren

That does seem to be the case - no Simpsons found.

So recordings are preserved past the expiry date - excellent!
    Roy said:
    @Darren

That does seem to be the case - no Simpsons found.

So recordings are preserved past the expiry date - excellent!
    Unfortunately, the NowTV Search seems to be a little unreliable......

So maybe those episodes are still available ......🤔
    Maybe you are right.

Darren said:
    Maybe you are right.

No, I’m wrong again 😢

Turns out The Simpsons is a special case, only ever available live on NowTV, never on catchup.

So not something we can straightforwardly use to test the ‘expiry’ hypothesis, alas, though it maybe does tend towards disproving it.