standard box

john155john155 Member Posts: 3
Hi, I have a standard record BT box which has suddenly stopped showing the settings option under the you view selection, instead there is a setting cog at the top of the screen with a ? next to it, I've done a soft reset (so I don't loose recordings) but to no avail any thoughts would be appreciated

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 August 2020, 1:57PM
    @john155

Believe it or not, this is deliberate, and it is meant to be an improvement.

The question mark is where the Help now lives.

Do you think you can grow to love the new look? 💕 💓 
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
  • john155john155 Member Posts: 3
    I can live with it if I could find a way to access it but I don't see how i can only scroll accross the bottom sections

edited 4 August 2020, 2:09PM
    john155 said:
    I can live with it if I could find a way to access it but I don't see how i can only scroll across the bottom sections

The Up Arrow on the remote, just above the central OK button, will take you there.
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
  • john155john155 Member Posts: 3
    OK knowing the info, I now managed to get it its a bit silly with no info on screen of how to access, but fine I can manage
  • UrsaUrsa Member Posts: 78
    LOL, mine just updated to this Version last night - still misbehaves with deleting recordings. losing sound on stepback etc ...

• SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,622 admin
    Ursa said:
    LOL, mine just updated to this Version last night - still misbehaves with deleting recordings. losing sound on stepback etc ...

Hi @Ursa
    This update went out a little while ago and we're not aware of these issues occurring as a result of an update. Has your box been disconnected from the internet? It'd also be useful to know a bit more about the issues you're having and box and the update you're on. You can find the box model and software version by pressing Help and then Info on your remote control. 
    Thanks,
    Sarah
  • madixonmadixon Member Posts: 1
    mine is the same. Also has a new button in settings for voice control. Doesn’t work on my box only 2000 retail series. So why put it there? 🤷‍♂️
    madixon said:
    mine is the same. Also has a new button in settings for voice control. Doesn’t work on my box only 2000 retail series. So why put it there? 🤷‍♂️
    @madixon

Which box have you get, and what version is the software?

And the button may be there on what YouView call a Maintenance Release basis, where it doesn’t actually do anything yet, but opens a gateway to doing it in the future.
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the voice control setting is there, it should work. It will be available on all boxes that aren't first-gen (2012-era) across all ISPs. What about it doesn't work?
    Stephen said:
    If the voice control setting is there, it should work. It will be available on all boxes that aren't first-gen (2012-era) across all ISPs. What about it doesn't work?
    Not having an Alexa device? Not having the skill set up? Speaking in vain into the YouView remote? 😀
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps, but then you could hardly blame a small settings tile for being unable to see into your home!
    edited 5 August 2020, 2:07PM
    Stephen said:
    Perhaps, but then you could hardly blame a small settings tile for being unable to see into your home!
    Richard Halton used to talk about the prospect of a YouView box being able to track your small children from room to room, a rather creepy prospect that thankfully never came to fruition.

But who is to say that the magic eye isn’t two-way? 😛

I looked at this tile though, and I think it miserably fails to put itself in the place of someone new to Voice Control, trying to figure out what the hell they are looking at and why the hell they might want it, and how the hell they might go about setting it up if they did want it.

If the screen you land on pointed you to:-
    https://support.youview.com/youview-box/set-up/pairing-amazon-alexa-to-youview/
    then it might have a fighting chance of achieving that.

But not a ‘How to use‘ that tells you roughly nothing; and when you come to exit it, instead of returning you to the Voice Control screen you entered from, tosses you out through the Exit of a Help app you didn’t realise you were in, on a screen that is suddenly and startlingly High Contrast, and back into the familiar world of live TV, for all the world like Harry Palmer finding himself suddenly and startlingly on a familiar London street.