Where is Settings?

jonjosephjonjoseph Member Posts: 47
edited 13 August 2020, 1:51PM in Support
In the DTR 1200 Youview the instruction book says on page 17 
 "To access any of the options covered in this section  press Y (blue button) and select Settings. " Nobody mentions that Settings is a fuzzy star on the top right of the screen. Why not put the Word Settings on the screen ?
That is just ridiculous .

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,240 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 May 2020, 7:56AM
    jonjoseph said:
    In the DTR 1200 Youview the instruction book says on page 17 
     "To access any of the options covered in this section  press Y (blue button) and select Settings. " Nobody mentions that Settings is a fuzzy star on the top right of the screen. Why not put the Word Settings on the screen ?
    That is just ridiculous .
    In other skins, it is a word on the main menu line. In all skins, it used to be that.

I don’t like where it is now, either.

But you have had a DTR-T12000 (which doesn’t exist) a DTR-T1200 (which doesn’t either), and now a DTR-T2000, though I suspect you may have a DTR-T2100.

Which makes it hard to quote which Guide, and so which pages, you should look at 😢

We also need to know who your ISP is, to know if you are looking at the BT skin, the Retail skin or the TalkTalk skin, as these all differ, and the Guides, besides the software having moved on cosmetically as to what things are called and where they are, have not envisaged boxes being used on a different ISP than their provenance, and so having a different skin.
    ‘Impossible’ problems solved, courtesy of Sherlock Holmes and What’sOn
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 661 ✭✭
    edited 21 May 2020, 9:06AM
    Hi Jonjoseph,
    Just to hopefully answer your confusion. The instructions were written before Youview updated the menus. If you look on the Youview box's terms and conditions via settings menu, you will read that the software will change, hence it is continuously changing, some features for the better, some not to everyone's tastes. The settings icon was changed only recently, how could the instruction manual have known about change?

This will hopefully answer all your other questions on other feeds. Enjoy using your Youview box that is being updated all the time. Best thing to do is look at up to date online instructions, but even some of the instructions may not have caught up with the software updates (!)
    John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,656 admin
    Hi @jonjoseph
    The settings change happened with a recent update where both Settings and Help moved to the top of the screen's user interface so that it takes less clicks of the remote to get to. The manuals that come with the box are a little out of date now so I would recommend checking our support site if you encounter any issues as the info here will be more up to date. 
    Thanks,
    Sarah
  • jonjosephjonjoseph Member Posts: 47
    Thankyou Roy for the background info . The box containing my Youview  has the number printed . DTR-T2000 500GB. I have it here in front of me .
     Inside the  guide cover is printed Version 1.2  I have it here in front of me . 
    I don`t know anything about skins. This was bought on ebay as a new set top box. No connection with any packages , ISPs or skins .
    Basically I bought it to replace the old original model Humax and needed a scart socket to keep my even older Bang and Olufsen tv working. This has a perfect picture without HD.

Thankyou Sarah
    I will have a look at the support site .
    I thought the first impression reaction from me would help as feedback . So many things can be taken for granted if you get lucky and hit the right button almost by accident .  These boxes should be more than a stray digital watch that you fiddle with and eventually work out for yourself .  Some designers need to stand back and think like a perfect stranger to the thing . They can`t see the wood for the trees .
    Thanks John L.
    It seems strange to make  changes in visible information for  customer guidance and effectively lose contact with those customers . 
      Then they need a horde of extra employees to answer all the questions  this generates .
    edited 22 May 2020, 9:07PM
    Hi jonjoseph, 
    This is how Youview design their products these days. Did you ever see the original Youview design back just over 3 years ago? You can view some of screen menus by typing into google search & see the images for various menus for comparison.

Just one example:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=youview&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj-gIHk-MfpAhUjpnEKHXXqAdYQ_AUoBHoECBYQBg&biw=1920&bih=920#imgrc=ZmOBUKbFNnZ2gM

With regards updates, just for an example, I have a Panasonic pvr that hasn't changed since day 1. Perhaps the designers at Panasonic got it right first time? , but at least Youview are allowing users to have new features as they are introduced. There will be debates for & against. You have no control on your menus. If only Youview could add a feature to each menu setting: turn on/off, so that the user can decide on certain features. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 22 May 2020, 7:50PM
    I actually like what they have done with the settings. I appreciate everyone has there own opinion which there entitled to but I honestly do like the placement of the settings now.
  • jillqjillq Member Posts: 1
    BT needs to consider its older-aged viewers who are not IT literate. I am 70 years old and if I hadn't known how to go to support.com and navigate the site, I'd have been there till Christmas trying to find "settings". There's a lot of us senior citizens,  BT. Wake up and think about us when you're altering your operating systems, before we all migrate to Sky.
    Hi jillq,

I can appreciate your frustration. My elderly mother has to keep asking me to help. I personally agree with Daniel, like the improvement, in some ways it is tidier, but this is my opinion and I can understand your view. What really should happen is that Youview if they introduce some wonderful change, feature, they need to appreciate that it is not to everyone's taste. As a user you get used to a routine and it is extremely annoying that your box has been changed without you having any control. Ideally they should add a setting to turn on off the feature if possible. John L
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,240 ✭✭✭
    edited 12 August 2020, 2:04PM
    jillq said:
    BT needs to consider its older-aged viewers who are not IT literate. I am 70 years old and if I hadn't known how to go to support.com and navigate the site, I'd have been there till Christmas trying to find "settings". There's a lot of us senior citizens,  BT. Wake up and think about us when you're altering your operating systems, before we all migrate to Sky.
    Quite right, @jillq. If I had been in charge of this change (assuming I even thought it was worth making) I would have retained the old Settings entry on the menu for a month or two*, with just a note if you pressed it to say that it was now up above, and press Up Arrow to get there.

Because even people who could see the damn thing in its new home have been struggling to figure out how to get up there. It not always being obvious that when you need to go NorthEast from the Menu, the ‘North’ button will get you there, but the ‘East’ button won’t.

*And it wouldn’t need a new release to remove the placeholder; just a quiet rollout of the new skin, without any ceremony.

(OK, @jonesh, figure out that music reference 😛)
    ‘Impossible’ problems solved, courtesy of Sherlock Holmes and What’sOn
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭
    edited 12 August 2020, 5:43PM
    Roy said:
    (OK, @jonesh, figure out that music reference 😛)
    I Remember it Well . .
    I'll give it a spin on the gramophone tonight :).

edit: I feel bad about misquoting your lyrics Len. I know that shouldn't have done it :'(.