Netflix profile pin

almairalmair Member Posts: 2
I've enabled a profile pin on our Netflix profile but it doesn't ask for this when selecting the profile on our youview box. I'm trying to make sure that our kids can only access their own profile which has age restrictions enabled. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 411
    edited 6 September 2020, 11:03PM
    Hi
    Go to the Netflix home screen 

Click on account menu

Then manage profile-
    Under existing profiles click add profile 

Add profile 

Give a name

If it's for a child tap the "kid" box

Finally press save.

Hope this helps. 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • ozsatozsat Member Posts: 7
    That doesn't setup a PIN though - Netflix profiles need a PIN on the adult accounts of Child accounts are present.
    Any child can switch to an adult account.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,238 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 September 2020, 9:04AM
    ozsat said:
    That doesn't setup a PIN though - Netflix profiles need a PIN on the adult accounts of Child accounts are present.
    Any child can switch to an adult account.
    @ozsat

Quite right! 

@kodikid has given an excellent answer, but not to the question you asked 😛

To answer your question, sort of, no it doesn’t work on Netflix on YouView, and I can’t see how you could make it work, except by YouView getting an update for their Netflix app.

So: you set the profile PIN in your Netflix account on the web; you can’t set it in Netflix on YouView box or TV, or even in Netflix on this iPad.

And I have just done this successfully on this iPad, and going back into Netflix on this iPad, I see a padlock under my profile icon (which I have now set to the Dali mask from Money Heist 😀) and it requires the PIN.

But this did not at first carry through to the Netflix account on the 2018 Samsung TV I am using here, though it did when I Reloaded Netflix, when both new icon and padlock appeared,

However, the padlock does not carry through to Netflix on YouView, even when I Reload it, though the icon does.

Despite all apps being reported up to date in Settings (actually, it’s the “We can’t....” message, but I don’t think that’s real).

So over to @Sarah to explain why Netflix on this ‘fully updated’ T2000 YouView box isn’t up to date (or to tell me where my methodology is wrong!)
    ‘Impossible’ problems solved, courtesy of Sherlock Holmes and What’sOn
  • almairalmair Member Posts: 2
    Hi. Thanks for comments but it turns out that it does work after all. I now have to enter the pin as I start an individual program under the adult account rather than when logging into the account as I'd expected. No more coming down for breakfast to find our 6 year old watching Deadpool!! :-) 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,238 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 September 2020, 8:33AM
    almair said:
    Hi. Thanks for comments but it turns out that it does work after all. I now have to enter the pin as I start an individual program under the adult account rather than when logging into the account as I'd expected. No more coming down for breakfast to find our 6 year old watching Deadpool!! :-) 
    @almair

OK, I now see what you see; with the PIN, thankfully, only having to be given once per login, on the first programme chosen, rather than once per programme if you watch more than one.

A near-equivalent, but different, dialogue, to the one with the padlock symbol.

But this approach still lets your kiddie browse among the bad stuff, even if he can’t actually start any of the programmes, so I think the padlock approach is better.

And you might also want to turn off Autoplay Previews, unless this version is smart enough to want the PIN first, or only show innocuous previews, or whatever.
    ‘Impossible’ problems solved, courtesy of Sherlock Holmes and What’sOn