NowTV app on YouView not recognising my account

weasaalweasaal Member Posts: 3
Hi. New to YouView and I have a BT T4000 box (but I'm not with BT). Everything is fine except the NowTV app. It will not recognise my email and password at all after multiple attempts. 
I've completely reset the box and software, rebooted etc etc. 
The NowTV app is showing all the passes and programmes available (I am on entertainment pass) so it all appears up to date. As soon as I select something to view and try to sign in or just sign into my account, it takes the user and password, sometimes even goes on to a captcha but always says that the username and password is unrecognised. I can sign on to NowTV on the web with the same details and the username is just an email - no unusual symbols. I signed on to NowTV direct on their website - is there perhaps a different type of account for YouView?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,993 ✭✭✭
    edited 25 November 2020, 7:09PM
    Hi and welcome to the forum. Do you need register the YouView box as a nominated device?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • weasaalweasaal Member Posts: 3
    Hi, not bothered as long as I can watch the entertainment package on it. I have no devices on my NOWTV account at the moment as this is the only device I have attempted, or wish, to use.
  • weasaalweasaal Member Posts: 3
    edited 25 November 2020, 7:21PM
    Thanks. Yes, I have seen that page on my account which tells me I have 0 of my allowed devices in use and to add a device I should start watching NowTV on it. However, I cannot watch NowTV on my YouView box for the original reason I stated.

edited 27 November 2020, 2:31PM
    I may be misreading this but you need to nominate the device/s of your choice FROM and OF your Now TV account. I hope that helps. But if it doesn't, contact the Now TV support team via their community forum.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 514 ✭✭
    Are you new to now tv as you dont appear to have used any devices in the past
    Dont want to sound too simplistic but are you 100% certain the user name and password are the same ones you originally registered?
    If it continues to not recognize your username head back to the now site and reregister.
    Once your in any now app or device will play automatically. 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,470 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 November 2020, 11:58PM
    Visionman said:
    I may be misreading this but you need to nominate the device/s of your choice FROM and OF your Now TV account. I hope that helps. But if it doesn't, contact the Now TV support team via their community forum.
    @Visionman @weasaal

Nope, you just sign in to NowTV on the device you want to start using, and select and start watching an Entertainment programme.

The only thing slightly wrong with the NowTV advice above is that it doesn’t make it crystal clear that you have to start using the pass in question to watch something, not just be signed on browsing the menus, which anyone can do, as long as they have an account.

If they can sign on in the first place, which @weasaal can’t do 😢

Knowing NowTV as I do, there are all sorts of issues popping up and popping back down, where the software decides it can’t recognise you on one device, though it can perfectly well recognise you on a different device, and this doesn’t mean you have your details wrong, it just means NowTV are patchy at writing reliable bombproof software.

Going on the NowTV Community, though, may not be very effective, as it is not very comprehensively moderated; the thing to do is to go into Help on the NowTV website, and battle your way past the NowBot (AKA Chocolate Fireguard) to get to Live Chat, a text chat service staffed by real humans, who can look into this for you.

Here’s my fairly extensive boilerplate on this:-

If it’s an Account or Billing issue, you will need to contact Live Chat. If you are not funnelled to that by working through the Help anyway, then use Get in Touch (all the options, and the best place to start):-

https://help.nowtv.com/get-in-touch/

On a screen with big buttons all around, you may find the link you need is under a tiny blue downward-pointing arrow, so be vigilant.

This following link will get you close to where you can start a Live Chat, but there is no direct URL. Look at the bottom of the page for the tiny arrow and press that :-

https://help.nowtv.com/get-in-touch/technical-device-issues/adding-or-changing-devices

On Live Chat, when you can get onto it, keep your answers short, sweet and prompt, or it will time out on you.

If the person you are talking to doesn’t seem able to understand your issue, ask to be escalated to the next level of help.

<If you can’t access Live Chat and nothing happens, try a different browser from your usual one (Internet Explorer, Edge, Chrome, Firefox, Safari) on which you haven’t disabled pop ups, third party cookies or indeed any cookies, haven’t set an Ad Blocker, and haven’t set Noscript on, or JavaScript off, as any or all of these things may prevent the Live Chat window appearing. Or try your usual browser in Incognito, sometimes called Private, mode>

As you may have gathered, it is much easier to find the plans for an intergalactic hyperspace bypass than to contact NowTV 😛

Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
    Or just contact Douglas Adams, care of the restaurant at the end of the universe. 

Unfortunately Now TV's customer service is infamous for its non customer service.