Huawei DN360T

Terry56Terry56 Member Posts: 6

Hello. I have been in conversation with the help team and they have passed me on to you. 

Our You View box has stopped working properly. It is the third box we have had that has malfunctioned in the same way. We had a replacement sent on 01 October 2020 and another on 12 November 2020. When we are watching a programme through ITV hub our latest box now returns to the main menu (ITV HUB, BBC IPLAYER etc) at the end of an advertisement break instead of returning to the programme we have been watching. I have tried the factory reset but it makes no difference. Our signal strength is good. 

Although the help team have previously been quick to send replacement boxes, I must admit that we are getting frustrated with this recurring problem. Surely the boxes should operate for more than a month before breaking down. 

Is there something else you can do to help us out? We don’t want a malfunctioning box for the Christmas period.

Comments

• Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 398 ✭✭
    edited 22 December 2020, 7:40PM
    I suspect that the help team meant the Talktalk forum, rather than here.

As to why they referred you when they have the same resources at their command I'm not sure. When posting can you do a speed test on your internet so this can be considered. Thank you

Link to their forum is here

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TalkTalk-TV/bd-p/116
  • Terry56Terry56 Member Posts: 6
    Yes, I have been in conversations with the TalkTalk team and been referred here as they have not been able to sort out my problem.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,456 ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2020, 11:43PM
    Terry56 said:
    Yes, I have been in conversations with the TalkTalk team and been referred here as they have not been able to sort out my problem.
    Hi @Terry56

The boxes aren’t breaking down.

When you see adverts on your box in the itv Hub, these are being fed to you from a different server from the one supplying the programme you are watching. And at the end of the adverts, the Hub has to reconnect you to the programme server.

This is always iffy, and a problem that has plagued all the broadcasters who use advertising; All4 used to go wrong on device after device, and every time they fixed it on one device, it would break on another.

But are you sure you get this problem on the BBC IPlayer? As they don’t break their streams in this way. All4, sure, and probably My5, but the BBC iPlayer?

I would imagine that you are presenting, quite naturally in the particular way you use your box, a pattern of usage that breaks the itv Hub return after adverts, when you have been using the box for a bit.

Usually because how you use it is cached in the box, and how you use it is poisoning the cache.

This isn’t your fault; it’s something that either the TalkTalk software has got wrong, or the itv Hub has got wrong, and the only way to clear it is a Factory Reset. Until, that is, TalkTalk and itv sort out the issues.

Which they are never going to do as long as TalkTalk keep sending you new boxes, unless and until they get a returned box of yours on the bench, and look to see what’s unusual in the cache. Which they probably aren’t doing.

The only slight mystery here, for me, is that a Factory Reset should bust one of these boxes completely back to its ‘as delivered’ state; and so while it is annoying to have to keep doing this, it should at least work.

So: are you doing a real Factory Reset, the one you can find in Settings somewhere (sorry, I haven’t got a box in front of me at the moment to say exactly where)? Or some lesser thing, like a power cycle?

If you haven’t been doing the real Factory Reset, find that, and try it. 

But if you have, and it doesn’t fix the box, then something is surviving the Factory Reset that shouldn’t be; and again, it is incumbent on TalkTalk to find and fix this, rather than just sending you a new box to muff up every few weeks, or palming you off onto us.

Not that we aren’t happy to try to help of course; but when a bunch of engineers with a malfunctioning box in front of them hands you off instead to a bunch of armchair experts without an oscilloscope we can deploy, something is not quite right there.
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I don’t have a problem with live TV or with BBC iPlayer. I haven’t been using Channel 4 or Channel 5 recently so I don’t know if there is a problem with those catchup facilities. It is occurring with ITV hub.

I have been doing the factory reset which seems to be clearing the cache as I have to re-register with ITV hub and BBC iPlayer each time and there is no memory stored of what I have watched.  But the problem is still present. I contacted ITV hub via Twitter yesterday evening and I am waiting for a reply.

Do you think it would be helpful if I let the TalkTalk team know that you think the problem lies with their equipment?

I would like to get something going for the Xmas period.

edited 23 December 2020, 9:50AM
    Terry56 said:

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I don’t have a problem with live TV or with BBC iPlayer. I haven’t been using Channel 4 or Channel 5 recently so I don’t know if there is a problem with those catchup facilities. It is occurring with ITV hub.

I have been doing the factory reset which seems to be clearing the cache as I have to re-register with ITV hub and BBC iPlayer each time and there is no memory stored of what I have watched.  But the problem is still present. I contacted ITV hub via Twitter yesterday evening and I am waiting for a reply.

Do you think it would be helpful if I let the TalkTalk team know that you think the problem lies with their equipment?

I would like to get something going for the Xmas period.

@Terry56

The TalkTalk team probably wouldn’t know me from Adam, except that I have a belly button, but you could certainly pass on my musings and see what they say.

And I certainly think it is between them and itv, though I don’t know in what proportions.

If you want reliable itv catch-up for Xmas, and you haven’t got the itv Hub on your TV itself, I suggest you nip out (if you are allowed) buy yourself a Roku Stick (£18 to £50, depending on how grand you want it), and use that. Or if you have Amazon Prime, they reckon they can get one to you tomorrow.

Hopefully that will give you a clear run over Xmas, but whether or not it starts to show the same symptoms over time may give you some further indication of whether this is an itv Hub problem, or a YouView box one.

Thanks. I will give it some thought. Here is what I propose to send to the TalkTalk team as a response form you:

“When you see adverts on your box in the ITV Hub, these are being fed to you from a different server from the one supplying the programme you are watching. And at the end of the adverts, the Hub has to reconnect you to the programme server. 

There is something that either the TalkTalk software has got wrong, or the ITV Hub has got wrong and a Factory Reset usually is the only way to clear it until TalkTalk and ITV sort out the issues.

If you have been doing the Factory Reset, and it hasn’t fixed the box, then something is surviving the Factory Reset that shouldn’t be and TalkTalk need to find and fix this. It would be helpful if TalkTalk were to get a returned box of yours on the bench and look to see what’s unusual in the cache.”

PS I am currently in conversation with ITV Hub.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭
    Great "musings" from @Roy as always. I agree that ITV should take some ownership of this issue. But TalkTalk? Surely this issue has long afflitced boxes of every origin?
    If this were a generic issue with the 360T box, then the Talktalk forums would be awash with complaints, which they are not.

@Roy is always spot on with issues and the ad break issue does cause problems but can be intermittent and difficult to pin down.

Its for this reason i suggested you post on their forum, as the staff can then check your setup, including router, which may need a tweak, and sort your problem out.

They are best placed in this respect to help.
    @Stevef_fr8ys I am bit confused by your reasoning: on the one hand you agree that it is unlikely to be a box issue; on the other you suggest TalkTalk are best placed to fix it? How will a "tweak" in setup help?
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,687 admin
    edited 23 December 2020, 4:40PM
    Hi @Terry56
    Welcome to the forum :) 
    Can you please confirm which area it drops you off at the end of the ad break? Is this the full page Apps area or the Main Menu which has Guide, Apps etc on it? If you have any videos or photos of this happening it'd also be helpful. Does this also happen with all ads on ITV Hub or are there any specific ones it tends to happen with?
    Thanks,
    Sarah 
    redchiz said:
    @Stevef_fr8ys I am bit confused by your reasoning: on the one hand you agree that it is unlikely to be a box issue; on the other you suggest TalkTalk are best placed to fix it? How will a "tweak" in setup help?
    I have seen the OCE's run line tests and make adjustments to router software in the past that has resolved such issues.  

Also, I don't see why they (the help centre) are abdicating responsibility for their supplied equipment and pushing a customer to the YouView forum.

If the problem has occurred on each box sent (3 in total) and it is not a widely reported issue on the TalkTalk forum, then I think it is something remote or unique to @Terry56 setup or connection and the OCE's on the forum are much better at sorting out such issues than the staff on the phones. Maybe it's because they have more time to resolve, but the staff there have a much better success rate, and have sorted numerous issues there where the help lines have failed.
    Just seen the recent messages. For information, during my conversation with the TalkTalk team it was mentioned that my problem has been raised numerous times.
    I wonder if we might have a comment from the YouView team, @Sarah could you oblige, please?
    Terry56 said:
    Just seen the recent messages. For information, during my conversation with the TalkTalk team it was mentioned that my problem has been raised numerous times.
    Numerous replacement boxes exhibiting the same behaviour?
    @redchiz @Stevef_fr8ys

Setup, connection or pattern of usage, perhaps.

I have been assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that the replacement boxes @Terry56 has been getting have worked OK for a while, and then gone unsatisfactory.

But maybe they all go wrong straight away, which would indicate a router fix might be an avenue to explore.

Terry, is your router a standard issue TalkTalk one? Have you tweaked any settings on it?

Other than that, a solution might be for TalkTalk to send out a DN372, so Terry can record these programmes, rather than having to rely on catch-up. That might be cheaper for TalkTalk in the long run.

Another solution might be for Terry to sign up to the itv Hub on subscription, so there aren’t any ads. However, we have done this with All4 - not because it hangs but because the ads are interminable - and they still stick promos and trailers in their streams. So if itv did this, and fed these insertions from a separate content source like they do the adverts, this would leave him no better off....

A thing to try, to bottom the issue better though, Terry, would be to watch some All4 and My5 content on catch-up. If these work OK, this tends to exonerate the YouView box and point to itv as the culprit. But if you get the same issues on those two services, that does tend to point to the box.
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭
    redchiz said:
    @redchiz and @Stevef_fr8ys it's worth mentioning that TalkTalk used to have a remote management system called TR-069 and I suspect still have it.
    It's really surprisingly powerful so the TalkTalk OCEs may well be the best line of attack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TR-069
    jimb said:
    redchiz said:
    @redchiz and @Stevef_fr8ys it's worth mentioning that TalkTalk used to have a remote management system called TR-069 and I suspect still have it.
    It's really surprisingly powerful so the TalkTalk OCEs may well be the best line of attack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TR-069
    I've offered my advice based on being a community star on the forum as I do feel they could have sorted this for @Terry56 by Christmas had he posted there. Unfortunately, the OCE's are on reduced hours next week so it could be a while to sort if he posts on the forum now.

@Roy I know TalkTalk have been generous recently in sending out newer generation boxes to those who have the 370T boxes (replacing with a 360T or a 372T box depending on their contract), and updating some customers to Fibre, but I have not seen them give anyone a box that is of a higher spec than they originally had on their contract. Their is always the option to upgrade by contacting customer services, but if it's something wrong with the set up, as evidenced by the "fault" being present in replacement boxes, i suspect it will also occur with a 372T box.

@Terry56 needs to decide what advice offered here is best for him (I'm not saying mine is correct, as it is, along with other advice given, an opinion).
    edited 24 December 2020, 10:07PM
    @Stevef_fr8ys

Yes, it was probably a pretty forlorn hope.

But when you said “...if it's something wrong with the set up, as evidenced by the "fault" being present in replacement boxes, I suspect it will also occur with a 372T box” 
    I had been thinking “...so Terry can record these programmes, rather than having to rely on catch-up.” 
    Which would be one way to solve the problem, or at least to avoid it 😎
    @Roy said
    I had been thinking “...so Terry can record these programmes, rather than having to rely on catch-up.” 
    Which would be one way to solve the problem, or at least to avoid it 😎
    Hence my comment on being able to upgrade - at a cost of course