TalkTalk Software Update 60.48.91 & 72.48.91 / 3.7.14

SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,704 admin
edited 25 November 2020, 5:08PM in Announcements
Hi all, 

Please feel to discuss and provide feedback about the TalkTalk Software Update 60.48.91 & 72.48.91 / 3.7.14 here.

This is a maintenance release for DN360T & DN372T devices and contains no new features.

Thanks,
Sarah

Comments

• Robin66Robin66 Member Posts: 2
    Since the release, I’ve been unable to access PlayTV. I have a model DN372T through TalkTalk. What do I need to do please? Thank you.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 December 2020, 9:20AM
    Robin66 said:
    Since the release, I’ve been unable to access PlayTV. I have a model DN372T through TalkTalk. What do I need to do please? Thank you.
    This?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayTV

How does that interact with YouView (or not, in this case)?

Or did you perhaps mean UKTV Play?
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
  • Robin66Robin66 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, sorry! I meant UKTV Play.  It was late! 😂
  • rayfrayf Member Posts: 11
    All was ok until latest update. Now for uktv I can only get sound. It says I need to connect via HDMI cable to watch. I have never had this before and will find it difficult to make such a connection. Any ideas please?
    rayf said:
    All was ok until latest update. Now for uktv I can only get sound. It says I need to connect via HDMI cable to watch. I have never had this before and will find it difficult to make such a connection. Any ideas please?
    @rayf

Are you trying to watch one of their broadcast channels (Drama, Dave, Yesterday, etc) from the Guide, or UKTV catch-up from the app?

Which TalkTalk box model do you have?

How does it currently get video to the TV (i.e. to tell you you need HDMI) and what make and model of TV is it?
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,704 admin
    rayf said:
    HI @rayf
    Welcome to the forum :) 
    Can you please let us know which error codes you are getting? It'd also be useful to know if you still have a TalkTalk subscription as well.
    Thanks,
    Sarah
    Roy said:
    rayf said:
    @rayf

Are you trying to watch one of their broadcast channels (Drama, Dave, Yesterday, etc) from the Guide, or UKTV catch-up from the app?

Which TalkTalk box model do you have?

How does it currently get video to the TV (i.e. to tell you you need HDMI) and what make and model of TV is it?
    I'm not sure what the model is. It says Dolby Digital Plus Pulse.
    I am connected via an ethernet cable to the router.
    I was using the search function but I have just tried the app and get the same result.
    I don't seem to have s menu button on my control. So can't find any way to get into the options. I'm trying to watch uktv Drama programmes. BBC progs seem to work ok.
    Everything was working fine before the last update. As above I connect the Youview box via ethernet cable to the router 
    Never had any problems before so why have things changed?
    I don't get an error code. It just says I need to connect via HDMI and offers me a help or back option. Neither of which help me. 
    rayf said:
    I don't get an error code. It just says I need to connect via HDMI and offers me a help or back option. Neither of which help me. 
    How is the YouView box connected to the TV at the moment? SCART?
    Yes. Scart.
    edited 2 January 2021, 5:08PM
    rayf said:
    Yes. Scart.
    @rayf

Thanks.

So if I repeat my questions, with supplementaries:-

Q1. Are you trying to watch one of their broadcast channels (Drama, Dave, Yesterday, etc) from the Guide, or UKTV catch-up from the app?
    A1. Broadcast (I think)
    Q1a. So Drama, SD, channel 20?

Q2. Which TalkTalk box model do you have?

Q3. How does it currently get video to the TV (i.e. to tell you you need HDMI)?
     A3. SCART.
    Q3a. why can’t you use HDMI?

Q4. What make and model of TV is it?

(The answer to Q4 may explain the apparent difficulty at Q3a)

My difficulties are:-
    (i) I know of no technical difference between BBC1 SD and Drama SD that would mean that though you can get BBC1 SD OK on SCART, Drama SD would demand HDMI.
    (ii) YouView errors usually come with an error code, YVM followed by 3 or 4 digits, but you are saying you don’t get an error code. You said you also get Help and Back on the screen, though, and these are YouView things.

Q5. Can you please take a screenshot of the demand for HDMI, and post it here?

Q6. On that screen, if you choose Help, what does the help message say?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but all this is not like anything I have ever seen or heard of with YouView.

I would like to try reproducing this - my T2000 has SCART out, but the Samsung TV it feeds requires a SCART adapter. I did get one such with the TV, but it’s in a bits box somewhere, and I haven’t unearthed it so far. But I have not run out of places to look...
    Q1.   I normally use the search function on the remote but also tried the app with same result. First noticed trying to access the bill on drama.

Q2 I can't seem to find s model number
     Says somewhere to use the menu but can't find any access on my remote.

Q3. SCART

Q3a. Location of the TV makes it extremely difficult.

Q4 it is an old Panasonic LCD with HD. See picture if I can do upload.

Q5. Screen shots attached if it works. There was an error message which I missed before but doesn't explain why things have suddenly changed.

Pictures to follow if I get them to work.
    edited 3 January 2021, 8:27AM
    @rayf

Oh wow, it’s a thing...
    https://support.youview.com/youview-box/error-messages/fix-for-yvm606/

I don’t remember this at all from the old days, but then it’s been years since I connected via SCART. 
    But it looks like you are watching catch-up, i.e. the UKTV Player, and maybe they only just put this restriction on? Though I would have thought it would arrive with a Player update, not a YouView software update.
    @Robin66 had the same issue though, unexplained back then; be interesting to know if he was likewise using SCART, and hit YVM606.

The model number of your TalkTalk box (which we no longer need now) can be found in Settings. If this is no longer the rightmost item when you press the blue ‘y’ button, it will be because YouView have changed it into a little cogwheel top right on your screen instead, accessible by pressing the up arrow on your remote nowadays.

Despite seeming quite obvious in retrospect, this ‘improvement’ to the ease of use of the UI has left many people initially bewildered, and no longer in control of their boxes, should they wish to change anything. 
    There are two things that can be done about the YVM606:-
    (i) Assume that this is deliberate and reconnect your TV by HDMI, despite the difficulties. As a bonus, though, you should notice an improvement in picture quality on everything you watch, going forward.

(ii) Ask @Sarah whether this is a deliberate change, introduced in this release but undocumented, or a Player change or a policy change, by UKTV, or maybe they started using HD, or if this is something that was there before but you only just noticed; or whether it is an error on UKTV’s part that, once drawn to their notice, they can correct.

I think the chances of the latter are slight though; maybe it’s time to take the Polaroid down off the wall, make the switch to HDMI, and see what develops.
    @Roy
    Thanks for your replies and interest.
    I can't think of any logical or commercial reason for uktv to make such a change. Most people I know only use SCART and so their audience and therefore revenue must be noticeably reduced.
    The same applies to Youview.
    :(  :(
    @Sarah
    Hi Sarah. Please see above. Is this a deliberate change by uktv or mistake somewhere along the lines.
    Thanks
    Ray
    edited 3 January 2021, 3:29PM
    rayf said:
    @Roy
    Thanks for your replies and interest.
    I can't think of any logical or commercial reason for uktv to make such a change. Most people I know only use SCART and so their audience and therefore revenue must be noticeably reduced.
    The same applies to Youview.
    :(  :(
    @rayf

The latest BT YouView box, the T4000, does away with SCART altogether. In a UHD world, an output that doesn’t even qualify as HD Ready would be an anomaly.

Going back, the last device I had that was seriously SCART was a 2007 Sony TV, which even predated HD tuners. But it didn’t predate HDMI, so we were able to feed it HD from a Digital Stream PVR, in those dear dead pre-YouView days

Our next major purchase, a 2012 Samsung for the bedroom, only came with a SCART adaptor that plugged into the AV sockets, so they didn’t have to make room for a SCART socket on the TV, nor make any provision for SCART out. Our later TVs, from our 2015 55” Samsung onwards, have done away with SCART altogether. 
    And while Curry's still sell SCART cables, their take on them is noteworthy: Connect your AV equipment reliably with the 1m Essential C1SCT15 SCART Cable. It's great for older AV equipment such as retro games consoles, DVD players, VCRs and certain TV models.(My emphasis).

There may still be a lot of SCART cables still in use out there; but the people who spend money to buy things these days buy HDMI.

As for commercial reasons, consider that the people licensing The Bill to UKTV may have stipulated that it not be recordable from catch-up; they do things like that.

And there may be other, non-copy-protected, programmes out there, Catherine Cookson in sub-VCR 4:3 perhaps; but once copy protection is triggered on a YouView box, it lasts until the next power down, no matter how many non-copy-protected programmes follow a protected one.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    I think that YVM606 is new.
    I used a SCART connection until relatively recently and I don't remember ever seeing it.
    I suspect that the content providers want more control over their product, so they have found a way of closing the SCART recording loophole.
    The content providers protect their programmes, but it is possible that the recent software update included the code needed to make their product only viewable using an HDMI cable.
    Hi @rayf
    We've managed to reproduce this on a few devices and are now following up with UKTV about this issue as we've not made any changes around SCART support. I'll let you know when I have any updates.
    Thanks,
    Sarah
    @Sarah
    Hi Sarah
    Any news yet?
    Thanks
    Ray
    edited 20 January 2021, 10:28AM
    Hi @rayf

This issue has been fixed by UKTV.
    Can you try to watch UKTV now?

Thanks, Sarah
    Hi @Sarah
    Yep. Just tried it and seems to be working ok again.
    Thanks for your help  :)