HDMI 4x1 switch recommendations

avant_guvnoravant_guvnor Member Posts: 10
I'm looking for an HDMI 2.0 Switcher with 4, 5 or 6 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output, [email protected] with audio out via S/PDIF (coax and optical), that will work (handshake correctly) with my BT Retail DTR-2110 YouView box, no YVM607 errors etc. (or am I searching for the holy grail?).

I'm hoping someone here in the community can advise/recommend. TIA.

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,470 ✭✭✭
    I'm looking for an HDMI 2.0 Switcher with 4, 5 or 6 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output, [email protected] with audio out via S/PDIF (coax and optical), that will work (handshake correctly) with my BT Retail DTR-2110 YouView box, no YVM607 errors etc. (or am I searching for the holy grail?).

I'm hoping someone here in the community can advise/recommend. TIA.
    LMGTFY 😛

https://www.lindy.co.uk/audio-video-c2/switches-c175/4-port-hdmi-18g-switch-with-audio-p12074

Couldn't get above 4 inputs in the time available though, not with audio out.

Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
  • avant_guvnoravant_guvnor Member Posts: 10
    edited 9 January 2021, 5:47PM
    Roy said:
    LMGTFY 😛

I've spent days online looking for something, but sadly the specs don't state compatibilty with youview boxes  :)

I was hoping to hear from users that may already have a switcher working with the DTR-2xxx boxes.
    edited 9 January 2021, 10:47PM
    @avant_guvnor

Well, that is a holy grail. 

None of these specs are going to mention compatibility with YouView, because there is nothing special about YouView HDMI. In a good way, of course, because it is completely standard HDMI. Has to be, because it has to work with any TV that takes the customer’s fancy. 
    You know the spec you are looking for, because you described it; and if you get that spec, then YouView compatibility is pretty much a given.

But lots of HDMI switches fall by the wayside; only HDMI 1.4, don’t do 4k/60HZ, don’t have audio takeoff (what do you want that for, by the way, can’t you do audio takeoff from the sink device?) and so on.

And while I can’t say I have used a switch, I have certainly used a splitter, on my YouView box’s output, so it could feed the TV as usual, and also feed a Slingbox, via a further HDMI to component video splitter, to send us the YouView box output in Spain.

And neither device claimed YouView compatibility as such, just the requisite HDMI standards for what I needed. And worked perfectly.

What the splitter wouldn’t do, though, when I repurposed it to sit between my soundbar and my TV with the option to feed a projector instead of the TV, was to send ARC back to the soundbar when the switch was set to the TV. Even though the switch claimed that it could. And even after a back and forth with the very helpful European distributors of the switch, who couldn’t get it working for me either.

Hence me recommending the Lindy switch, even though it is four times the cost of some pretenders to the throne. At my daily rate, it doesn’t take long to burn up the difference, wasting time on cheaper devices that don’t do what they claim they can do.

But yes, let’s see if the other holy grail, of someone who has practical experience of exactly what you are looking for, bears fruit.
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 408 ✭✭
    I used one of these in the past on my old TV that had one hdmi input. It worked well.
    There are a number of sellers and some have cables included too. 

I had 2x YouView boxes and a bluray player using this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Port-HDMI-4K-Switch-Switcher-Selector-Splitter-Hub-iR-Remote-For-HDTV-3840p-UK/153378251633?hash=item23b60e6371:g:qmkAAOSw0dFcZY5I&redirect=mobile
    I used one of these in the past on my old TV that had one hdmi input. It worked well.
    There are a number of sellers and some have cables included too. 

I had 2x YouView boxes and a bluray player using this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Port-HDMI-4K-Switch-Switcher-Selector-Splitter-Hub-iR-Remote-For-HDTV-3840p-UK/153378251633?hash=item23b60e6371:g:qmkAAOSw0dFcZY5I&redirect=mobile
    The sort of thing that worries me about these cheap devices is that it says 3840p in the link, and then I can’t see a sniff of 4K any further on.

’Switch selling’ has two meanings, and I would be worried that this is an example of both.

Does yours have 4K blazoned on the top? Does it actually handle 4K?
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 408 ✭✭
    I've not used it since I got my 4k TV, so sorry can't confirm. 
    Yes it has 4k blazoned across it.
    Others recommended one of these to me and it worked well, even switching to the YouView box when switched on, which my LG TV does not do at times.