Beeping In Standby

ThePourThePour Member Posts: 4
I have a BT DTR-4000 which when in standby mode (either using SMART or not) has a very quiet beeping noise coming from inside. As I'm now working next to my YouView box, I'd really like to be able to make it stop.

Any thoughts on how I can do this or diagnose the problem?
Tagged:

Comments

• John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 835 ✭✭
    Hi ThePour,
    Welcome to the forum. Have you tried unplugging & then turning back on again to see if problem has disappeared? Just as a guess, it might be coming form the hard drive. Might have got stuck on read/write head? The hard drive has a 2 hour buffer that is might have started jamming. Worth a try. How old is your box? Can you still access your recordings? If there is still a problem with hard drive, try and watch recordings asap in case drive fails.

Please let the forum know how you get on/if you need more help. John L

Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭
    Youview boxes have two standby modes, High Eco and Low Eco.
    Try changing your Smart Standby timings so that your box in in High Eco (deep sleep) standby while you are working.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭
    ThePour said:
    I have a BT DTR-4000 which when in standby mode (either using SMART or not) has a very quiet beeping noise coming from inside. As I'm now working next to my YouView box, I'd really like to be able to make it stop.

Any thoughts on how I can do this or diagnose the problem?
    @ThePour

I suspect this sound is the heads on the hard disc seeking. Could it be that?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • ThePourThePour Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for all the comments.

I opened it up to see if I could listen to where the beep was coming from but I couldn't confirm that it was the disk - though I suspect it is. I mean what else would be beeping?

If it is the disk, then it seems odd that it would be beeping when the machine is in enery saving mode but not when it is running. But hey what do I know?

I bought the machine off eBay just before Christmas and, I think, this beep is new. Though I can't be certain about this. The disk was manufactured in 2015 but I don't know when the machine was built.

Having just bought the machine and then recorded a load of films over Christmas, I don't really want to replace the drive but should probably do so before I record a ton more films.

FWIW, my BT Vision box is working without a problem and that's significantly older.

• kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 741 ✭✭
    edited January 5
    It could be your mistaking a squeak from the fan for a beep.
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
    kodikid said:
    It could be your mistaking a squeak from the fan for a beep.

I don't think that this is the case, no. The beep happens when the fan is not turning (and the box is in standby) and doesn't appear to be coming from near the fan.
    Fans of this thread will be pleased to know that changing the settings for the device can alleviate the beep during my working day. Though obviously I am still unhappy that I can't leave my machine in Deep Sleep for longer.

Also, slightly disappointed that the many geniuses on this forum can't explain the issue... ( :/)
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Slightly ungrateful,
    we evolve all the time. If this extremely rare occurrence crops up in  the future visitors to this site will be now be advised what to do thanks to your experience. 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭
    ThePour said:
    Fans of this thread will be pleased to know that changing the settings for the device can alleviate the beep during my working day. Though obviously I am still unhappy that I can't leave my machine in Deep Sleep for longer.

Also, slightly disappointed that the many geniuses on this forum can't explain the issue... ( :/)
    @ThePour

Perhaps if you had posted a screenshot of the beep, we might have been able to be more forthcoming?

But geniuses or not, I don’t think we would be able to match your skills in building the time machine necessary to take you back to the days before BT Vision boxes were finally disabled by BT 😛 
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris