Sky and Amazon a joined forces

2»

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,456 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 January 2021, 11:07PM
    redchiz said:
    I am resigned to the idea of few, if any, further advances, especially in respect of "retail" boxes which effectively no longer exist.  😢
    Thanks @redchiz

That explains the puff of smoke, leaving only five dangling wires, that came from the shelf below our TV the other night.
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 January 2021, 1:51AM
    YouView is dead. Thats the be all and end all of it.

Which is a strange thing to say, saying it outstrips all other Freeview PVRs in terms of millions. Which is 3 to be exact. So thats 3m users down the drain.

Its just suddenly going to go.... bump. ****.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    Visionman said:
    YouView is dead. Thats the be all and end all of it.

Which is a strange thing to say, saying it outstrips all other Freeview PVRs in terms of millions. Which is 3 to be exact. So thats 3m users down the drain.

Its just suddenly going to go.... bump. ****.
    Which is predicated on no-one, such as BT, taking over the reins, as they did with the app for instance, and/or there being no final releases of the YouView software that reduce or remove the reliance on those reins.

Or it will be, conservatively, £200m-worth of boxes down the drain.
    Oh c'mon. We both know the boxes aren't going to die, so that £200m is going nowhere and perfectly safe. As are the boxes.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 505
    Cast your mind back to 2014.
    Imagine the phone technology then, probably a blackberry. 
    Imagine what sky and virgin had to offer then Imagine a T2000 youview box.
    Fast forward 7 years and apart from uhd added in 2016 the youview box has simply not evolved. 
    They will die, not next week or even next year but it simply cannot continue in its current incarnation. 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 442 ✭✭
    edited 17 January 2021, 9:22PM
    Youview was once a great service and in some ways still is but I have to agree. Apart from a few software updates and some improvements Youview seem to be starting to behind.
    My Amazon Fire Stick HD 2020 version arrived this afternoon and after set up that toke 5mins. After 2 mins trying to get the back off the remote to fit the batteries as it seemed hard as being new. Did look at getting the Lite version but went for the HD 2020 version at £39.99.
    Im happy with the Amazon Fire Stick HD 2020 and the UI looks good and the voice search from Alexa seems to so far work fine. Asked it to play Pretty Little Liars and it went right to iPlayer and after 30 seconds buffing went right to the first season episode 15 that I was next to watch.
    I used to Alexa with having 4 different Amazon Echos in the house.
    Do find with the Echos once in a while they dont always do what you ask.
    Not set up Now TV with the Amazon Fire Stick as yet.
    Sound from the Amazon Fire Stick also seems fine.
    For now will just use the app on the Youview box.
    May try Disney + at some point as been offered 2 months free from o2 if I take up the offer by 1st Feb.

edited 17 January 2021, 10:18PM
    Visionman said:
    Oh c'mon. We both know the boxes aren't going to die, so that £200m is going nowhere and perfectly safe. As are the boxes.
    Um, well, you made me think about the way these boxes are always phoning home, even if just for thumbnails; and if the servers at YouView Towers stop thrumming for any reason, going the way of the online app perhaps, this will leave the boxes in a pretty parlous state, if they still work at all.

YouView boxes aren’t going to be like Topfields or my DigitalStream, running until the hardware gives out; not when they are so dependent on continued access to remote YouView servers.
    Irreverent speculative tosh. There are no servers at YouView towers. I'm surprised you didn't know that?
    Visionman said:
    Irreverent speculative tosh. There are no servers at YouView towers. I'm surprised you didn't know that?
    Irreverent? Are you accusing me of lèse-majesté? Or is this a malapropism?
    edited 17 January 2021, 11:52PM
    Well, big words for a small man. Meaning your just like everyone else on here, a user.

Why didn't you know that YouView towers don't contain any servers as you've been there?
    Visionman said:
    Well, big words for a small man. Meaning your just like everyone else on here, a user.

Why didn't you know that YouView towers don't contain any servers as you've been there?
    Ad hominem again - sigh 😬 A small man? I could probably stand to lose a few pounds... 🍰🍩🧁

And jocular references to what are probably out there in the AWS cloud are not to be taken literally. The substantive point is that these servers are the puppets, and YouView the puppet master - and what happens if the strings give out?
    Hopefully someone can help.
    I got Now TV on my new Amazon Fire Stick and have set it up but for search and option you have to press red button like you do with the Youview box but the Amazon Fire Stick remote don't have any red button to press. So hope do I use this.
    edited 19 January 2021, 10:46PM
    Darren said:
    Hopefully someone can help.
    I got Now TV on my new Amazon FireStick and have set it up; but for Search and Options, you have to press red button like you do with the YouView box. But the Amazon FireStick remote doesn't have any red button to press. So how do I use this?
    Hi @Darren

Shouldn’t you be addressing this question to Amazon, supplier of the underlying device, or NowTV, suppliers of the overlying software, rather than to YouView, whose only involvement is happening to use both of those apps, and the Amazon one only on some of its boxes?

But my wife and I have three potential solutions for you, respectively guaranteed, speculative and highly speculative :-

(i) scroll right down to the last line of the NowTV display, past all the gaily coloured thumbnails, to the boring four boxes at the bottom.
    Two of which are, respectively, Search and Options, and are amenable to the normal controls on the Amazon remote.

(ii) Press the microphone button on the Amazon remote, if there is one, and say ‘Search’ or ‘Options’.

(iii) Press all the buttons on the Amazon remote in turn, and see if any of them get you to Search and Options.
    It’s worth remarking that neither NowTV nor Roku remotes have a red button, and you press the star/asterisk key on these instead. So maybe there is something on the Amazon remote that equates to this button, at this point in the dialogue.
    edited 19 January 2021, 11:51PM
    @Roy thanks for your reply. I scrolled down to the bottom in the Now TV app and found Now TV search there.
    Will try again pressing all the buttons on the remote to see that that works.
    Guess I just be used to pressing the red button on my Youview box or when I have been to my sisters on her Samsung TV for search and options with in the Now TV app.
    @Darren

Glad you have a workaround now, anyway. 

I’m used to red button access also, on the YouView box and Samsung TVs; but as I described above, even on a kosher NowTV remote, the button for Search isn’t actually red 😢