Old BT Box

Pitz1Pitz1 Member Posts: 2
Hello, I have an old BT You view box, can I give it to my mum to use as a recorder only? She has no internet so can't use catch ups but wondered if the recorder alone would work? Thanks.

Comments

• kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 506
    edited 23 January 2021, 1:10PM
    It will work perfectly. 
    These boxes are basically freeview with the added bonus of catch up.

Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • Pitz1Pitz1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Kodikid, I'll give it a try, when I can of course!
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 398 ✭✭
    It should work, unless it needs to be reset for any reason, as going through the initial set up requires an internet connection.

Might be worth setting it up at yours and update it if not been used for a while.

Doing a retune should work at your Mums if she is on a different transmitter.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭
    @Pitz1 @kodikid @Stevef_fr8ys

You are all cordially invited to pull the internet connection off a YouView box (giving it a quick update first if you wish), and see how you get on with the resulting experience.

Yes, recording will work, and the EPG will run without the internet-supplied metadata; but the box will be denied the thumbnails on which it has come to rely on more and more since NextGen, a trend that can only continue, and one or two other things will be unavailable as well.

But run it like that for a couple of days, or better for three, making recordings as you go, and see if you think that would be OK for @Pitz’ mum.
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 January 2021, 3:07PM
    If the box ever needs to be rebooted it will need a Freeview and internet connection.

Other than that you'll be fine.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To clarify - you can reboot, unplug and/or relocate the box as much as you like once you've disconnected it, it will remember its DTT region and nothing will be disabled or restricted beyond what Roy described above.
    Of course if you need to do a full factory reset for some reason (either from the menus or maintenance mode), then yes you will need to give it connections again just during setup.