Humax T1010 frozen picture

Emmett2076Emmett2076 Member Posts: 3
My Humax DTR-T1010 either won't turn on or off or the picture freezes often with sound continuing. Humax took me through the basic hardware and reboot checks and we ended up trying 'maintenance' mode. The machine started the maintenance reboot from 'reset saving recordings' but it froze again before the end of the factory reset.
Can any one advise if this a software or hardware fault and what can be done about it?
Thanks

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,549 ✭✭✭
    @Emmett2076

Given the history of these very early YouView boxes, it’s likely a hardware fault. The T1010 was a T1000 in a pretty frock, without the redesign that benefitted the visually quite similar, but technically very different inside, T2000, which has never been superseded by any later retail box. (And now, never will be).

One of the problems of the T1010, like the T1000, is that it has its power supply built in, so the mains conversion takes place inside the box, with all the attendant heat and ventilation issues; and the capacitors deteriorate.

It used to be that people bothered to replace these; but ever since the T10x0s got progressively left further and further behind the T2xx0s and T4000s after 2016, it’s not really been worth doing that, except for grins, rather than sourcing a cheap DTR-T2xxx off Amazon or eBay as a replacement.

Not that I don’t have a cherished, and still working, T1000 in my collection; but it isn’t one of my day to day YouView boxes, and when it turns its toes up, I shall not strive to rescue it.
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
  • Emmett2076Emmett2076 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Roy - If I did bother to get inside and check/change capacitors do you think that would fix the problem ?
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Roy - If I did bother to get inside and check/change capacitors do you think that would fix the problem ?
    It depends.
    Failing capacitors overheat and go off-spec. As a result other components in the box get hot and are supplied with unstable power and incorrect voltages. This causes them to malfunction and can lead to their failure, including the hard drive.
    If a box has reached the stage where it is freezing and won't complete a Maintenace Mode reset, it is unlikely that replacing the capacitors alone will revive it.
    This thread on the MyHumax forum goes goes into detail about replacing the capacitors in T10x0 boxes: https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/dtr-t10x0-successful-repair .
  • Emmett2076Emmett2076 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Janesh that's all helpful - I'll probably have ago at changing the capacitors in my T1010 as there's nothing to loose and it'll give me something to do in lockdown. 
    Do you know if there's any way you can get the recordings out of the machine into a memory stick or external hard drive ?
    Some cheap replacement Humax units on ebay but how do you know they'll be ok ?
    I'm reading the T2000 has no WIFI ? is that the case on all T2000's and the main difference from the T1010 is its external power supply - If cap. change doesn't work should I go for a T2000 or would a T1010 be ok - any advice on this would be appreciated

• Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 537 ✭✭
    It is possible to get the recordings off of a failed box but only the SD versions as HD recordings are encrypted.
    What you need to do is remove the HDD , mount in a caddy and connect to a PC booted up in a linux derivative - I used Ubuntu.
    The recordings are found in the largest partition. Copy the .TS files to a USB stick or your PC's HDD and immediately rename them as Linux file names are not easily coped with by Windows.
    Some media players can play .ts files otherwise convert them to .mkv/.mp4 with something like the free Vicoder.

Thanks Janesh that's all helpful - I'll probably have ago at changing the capacitors in my T1010 as there's nothing to loose and it'll give me something to do in lockdown. 
    Do you know if there's any way you can get the recordings out of the machine into a memory stick or external hard drive ?
    I'm reading the T2000 has no WIFI ? is that the case on all T2000's and the main difference from the T1010 is its external power supply - If cap. change doesn't work should I go for a T2000 or would a T1010 be ok - any advice on this would be appreciated
    Your machine might work after a capacitor change.
    I've got a re-capped T1000 that has been in daily use since 2013. Its capacitors were changed a few years ago before it started giving trouble.
    I don't know about the ebay units, but some forum members have reported success with them.
    The T2000 doesn't have WiFi, but if you don't use the BT IP channels they can be connected to WiFi using a Nano router. One of these things, or something similar: https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/3g-usb-adapter/tl-wr902ac/ .
    T2000s are different from T10x0s in more ways than just the external power supply, but I can't advise you because I haven't got one. Others might chip in with more information.

@Emmett2076

I said it above, but perhaps with not enough emphasis - T10x0 boxes have been left behind since 2016.

Not entirely, but they do not run the latest apps, do not run the remote app, and even what they do do is less smooth than on the later boxes - jumping instead of scrolling, and so on.

I do not advise buying another.

Our T1000 is a competent PVR, which is now its only use.
    It runs well enough, but it doesn't jump. It's too old for that sort of thing :).
    edited 31 January 2021, 8:05AM
    jonesh said:
    It runs well enough, but it doesn't jump. It's too old for that sort of thing :).
    @jonesh

Gosh. I hope its not too old to skip, though, is it? 😛
    Roy said:
    jonesh said:
    @jonesh

Too old to skip? No. Skipping is part of its exercise routine. It keeps us awake with its racket. :D
    jonesh said:
    Roy said:
    jonesh said:
    @jonesh

Too old to skip? No. Skipping is part of its exercise routine. It keeps us awake with its racket. :D
    It plays tennis as well? 
    Roy said:
    jonesh said:
    Roy said:
    jonesh said:
    @jonesh

It plays tennis as well? 
    Table tennis. Badly. It won't restart after a service fault :'(.
    edited 31 January 2021, 11:02PM
    jonesh said:
    Roy said:
    jonesh said:
    Roy said:
    jonesh said:
    @jonesh

It plays tennis as well? 
    I expect it tries to PING PONG and gets 100% packet loss 🏓
    Roy said:
    jonesh said:
    Roy said:
    jonesh said:
    Roy said:
    jonesh said:
    @jonesh

It plays tennis as well? 
    Packet loss? No. It doesn't do cycling, and anyway, it didn't know what was in the packet.
    jonesh said:
    Roy said:
    jonesh said:
    Roy said:
    jonesh said:
    Roy said:
    jonesh said:
    @jonesh

It plays tennis as well? 
    Packet loss? No. It doesn't do cycling, and anyway, it didn't know what was in the packet.
    @jonesh

Ooh, my box power cycles (which explains all those Peloton adverts), and for the other thing, all those Step One adverts.
    edited 2 February 2021, 11:39PM
    Roy said:
    jonesh said:
    Roy said:
    jonesh said:
    Roy said:
    jonesh said:
    Roy said:
    jonesh said:
    @jonesh

It plays tennis as well? 
    @jonesh

Ooh, my box power cycles (which explains all those Peloton adverts), and for the other thing, all those Step One adverts.
    Power cycles? Does it have ambition to be a Team Sky box?
    About the Step One adverts. Sky Plus boxes? :o
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 549 ✭✭
    Move along  nothing to see here. 
    Ignore this if you disagree.