BT sports channels

Ken Hill1Ken Hill1 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭
edited 29 April 2021, 2:20PM in Discussion
BT Sports are in the negotiations selling the BT channels to   another company this info comes from the broadcasting forum  and and BT media news . Stakeholders prime video Disney who own BT Sports espn they are all in tops at an early stage of selling off a sports channels there are two companies that is interested in the channels to take over prime video and the second company is Dazn buy  the channels from BT has the BT Sport espn is owned by my Disney they got a stake in the channels with BT.

Comments

• kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 624 ✭✭
    edited 29 April 2021, 2:26PM
    Sky/ITV will probably pick up the UCL and micky mo..sorry europa cup matches. 
    This will continue the partnership that existed before BT's ludicrous overpaying for the exclusive UEFA rights. 
    As Sky are excluded from obtaining any more prem packages Amazon must be tempted to add to their prem offering. 
    All this signals the end of BT content making with BT solely being a platform for Now, Netflix and Prime. 
    If as the Ken suggests Disney are interested the Prem will demand the great British public have  greater access to it's streaming site which is currently unavailable on Virgin and BT.

Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • Ken Hill1Ken Hill1 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭
    edited 29 April 2021, 3:53PM
    Myself I think Disney is favourite to buy the BT Sports channels  as the they own BT Sports espn with prime video just behind them all I know about dazn is they are A TV sporting on-demand service although provide at the moment on their website is boxing probably they want to branch out to other sports
    edited 29 April 2021, 5:06PM
    Just read an article that the premier league are now in talks about the BT situation this could be good news for prime video it reports that the football on BT could be moved to prime video Premier League also BT will show none League football  free on bank holiday Monday I don't know how true this is but this article today
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 492 ✭✭
    edited 29 April 2021, 7:15PM
    I'm now back to work on a phased return after being on furlough for the second time so will not see any free football on this Bank Holiday as I been asked to work half day and then clam the time back as it's a Bank Holiday.
    I cancelled BT Sport well over a year ago. So any free football or tennis as Iike watching that on TV is welcome for me. 
    I do like watching some sport but not enough to be paying the extra for it every month. I'm more in to TV box sets as well as at times movies.
    Would hope Amazon gets some more sport as I have Amazon Prime and there sports coverage has been fine.

• redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 April 2021, 9:13PM
    Yippee! Does that mean my parents will be freed from their pricey, index-linked 24 month contract? What will BT TV's USP now be? And whither (wither?) what is left of YouView?
     BT have given up on BT tv.
    It wants to concentrate on it's broadband. 
    As for a replacement for the rapidly aging youview box that now looks extremely unlikely. 
    Talk Talk look like following the same path.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,103 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 April 2021, 11:24PM
    BT won't be leaving BT Sport. The OP's original opening statement is incorrect. They are looking for investors not replacements. The Premier League are also looking at not holding a rights auction this cycle and to roll over current contracts, which under current competition rules requires government approval. BT Sport will be here for a while yet.....
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • robotmanrobotman Member Posts: 187
    DAZN will likely be fighting off any competition to get a leg up on the Premier League market as they have made their intentions known a while back.
    This link should better explain the actual position regards BT Sports/TV BT confirms BT Sport sale talks | RXTV info
    "Flash, Flash, I love you, but we only have 14 hours to save the Earth"
    edited 30 April 2021, 3:49PM
    With the announcement of BT Sport there was no new what will happen to BT TV and subscription service I was told today from one BT operator that they were concentrating on their broadband more than their TV side I do not know if this is true or not there's so many questions to know about all this.
    edited 30 April 2021, 6:54PM
    News just come in in ITV are in talks with BT Sport to buy all bt  sports channels.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭
    @Visionman Utter rubbish, it was announced by BT corporate and is all over the media, they are looking for partial, or entire off-loading. Gorgeous Gavin made a big mistake, many BT and Openreach customers are scratching their heads and wondering why their broadband is so **** when all this money has gone into football. Sorry, "Sport."
    Disney is talks about launching Disney Sports on the Disney+ app and I want espn to be a flagship for the app pretty BT hasn't got the Disney + that's if they get get the green light to buy why the BT sports channels .
    edited 3 May 2021, 7:54PM
    Ken Hill1 said:
    Disney is talks about launching Disney Sports on the Disney+ app and I want espn to be a flagship for the app pretty BT hasn't got the Disney + that's if they get get the green light to buy why the BT sports channels .

As long as the cost of Disney + don't go up to much a month. To pay for any Disney + sports channel. For not everyone wants sport. 
    I still hope Amazon get some more sport.
    Dont know why ITV want to buy BT Sport they had sports channels on the OnDigital(ITV Digital) and failed after over bidding for the English Championship rights and the whole OnDigital(ITV Digital) went bankrupt. 
    I used to have OnDigital(ITV Digital) back then.
    Although BT broadband/fibre has improved over the years there is still room for some more improvement.
    FTTP rollout in my area that was delayed last year has been delayed again till early 2022 if you go on the Openreach website.

edited 3 May 2021, 8:06PM
    Funny how things go around, Espn originally had the prem rights before BT outbid them.
    Espn inherited them from Setanta who ironically also found themselves in a position of having to offload them.
    Because of Sky's deal with Disney it's extremely unlikely Disney+ will find it's way to youview or Virgin media. 
    The Prem will demand the widest accessibility of it's product so Disney+ is unlikely to be considered. 
    Like I said ITV/Sky are desperate for European football so a split is likely between BT's prem content and its European offering. 
    BT massively overbid for the European rights something that would obviously deter many broadcasters but not a Sky/itv combination. 
    Uefa would also welcome the return of a terrestrial presence in the UK.

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,103 ✭✭✭
    European football - a £900m contract. Do you honestly think ITV have that kind of money? Or Amazon would want to spend it? I don't. So a partnership is much more likely.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    Think it was closer to a billion. 
    Totally agree,  Sky and itv would do it with Sky obviously getting the lions share and itv showing the highlights. 
    edited 4 May 2021, 8:36AM
    Highlights on a FTA channel is better than nothing but I would hope that some live football would be FTA.
    I agree with @Visionman that ITV may not have the money to spend on buying European football out right and although Amazon have moved in to sport they may not be willing to spend £900m on a European football contract.
    To me some of the football TV contracts are over priced and companies seem to at times over bid to get the packages they want then other content seems to suffer a little as they then need to in the long term make a few cost savings and in the case of Sky and BT put their monthly prices up to pay for over bidding for the sport. 
    Even for those who dont care about sport or people like me that only watch sport now and again or when there is a big sporting event on, See the price go up per month just to pay for the companies over bidding for sport.
    Think those days are over.
    The price for the prem rights actually decreased last time and look certain to do so again that's why the prem want the current agreement to roll over.
    Also the new CEO of BT has no interest whatsoever in the tv
     media side of BT and wants out ASAP.
    He is totally committed to broadband provision so where that leaves youview is anyone's guess.