I am stuck on the page

HumaxyouviewhelpHumaxyouviewhelp Member Posts: 9
edited 23 April 2021, 12:53PM in Support
My box starts fine and loads to the can not find internet page. I am useing WiFi with TP-Link boxes. All seem to work fine. I go to the auto connect tab but will not find my internet. I am not able to connect the box by the Ethernet cable. I press the blue on the hand set when the youview page comes up to go to settings but it does not do anything but go to the page that says unabler to find internet. The tv connections ect all work ok.

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,893 ✭✭✭
    @Humaxyouviewhelp

Can you please clarify your setup? 

Have you got an Ethernet cable connected to the YouView box? 
    If not, that is why it won’t work.

What are the TP-Link boxes you have got?
    Nanorouters, one on the router and one on the YouView box, with WiFi between them? 
    Or PowerLine Adaptors, with no WiFi in use here?

(If you don’t know, give model numbers, and we can look them up.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Hello Roy I have a Humax DTR-T2000 500 GB   My tv in lounge with the box and TP-Link all pluged into wall socket. My Router is in my study (two rooms away) and has the other TP-Link pluged into it. All has worked fine since I have had it. That some time now. The TP-Link boxes are TP-Link    Model TP-PA4010
    edited 24 April 2021, 12:05PM
    Hello Roy I have a Humax DTR-T2000 500 GB   My tv in lounge with the box and TP-Link all pluged into wall socket. My Router is in my study (two rooms away) and has the other TP-Link pluged into it. All has worked fine since I have had it. That some time now. The TP-Link boxes are TP-Link    Model TP-PA4010
    FWIW, there is no WiFi involved in this connection chain. 

If not, please come back and say what fails, at what stage, with what (exact) error message.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Roy both the links failed. The error message is  Check connected devices power, cable connection, and source selection.   The TP-Link boxes both light up. I have used my chrome cast from my phone and my laptop so I guess all the wifi connection are ok. The humax box we not move now from the error message. Before it went from trying to load to the unable to find internet  
    @Humaxyouviewhelp

I don’t understand how those links could fail - I just checked both of them from my posting above - and yet you are able to reply.

Whatever device you are replying from, try to open the links on that, and do what they say.

And any YouView error will have a YVMnnn code, where nnn is a number; if you can’t see one of those, we have to wonder what device is producing the error message?

Checking on the internet, though, the message you describe seems to come from Samsung TVs; is it that you have your YouView box plugged into a Samsung TV, and the TV is telling you that it can’t ‘see’ the YouView box?

And you can’t use the YouView box at all?

In which case, first check that the HDMI cable is firmly plugged in at both ends, one to the TV and one to the YouView box.

If you still have the message, power off the TV and the YouView box, both, at the mains; wait two minutes then power the TV back on; when it has settled, power the YouView box back on.

If this does not fix it, try another HDMI cable.

And report back your results once more, here.
  • Hello Roy   There is no code on the error message. I am unable to use either of the links that you gave me - I can not get the main menu to go to settings on the box  and I do not have another HDMI cable. I am turned 80 but not bad at PC/Tec stuff but I am now at al a loss. Being shielded for over a year this box is important to me. But what next
  • The fire brigade people told me to switch off plugs at night before I go to bed. Would that interfere with the pairing of the TP-Links and yes it is a Samsung TV
    edited 27 April 2021, 8:30AM
    Hello Roy   There is no code on the error message. I am unable to use either of the links that you gave me - I can not get the main menu to go to settings on the box  and I do not have another HDMI cable. I am turned 80 but not bad at PC/Tec stuff but I am now at al a loss. Being shielded for over a year this box is important to me. But what next
    @Humaxyouviewhelp

The thing to understand is that that message is coming from your TV, not from the YouView box. And it is the TV saying that it can’t communicate with the YouView box. 

And until that is resolved, we can’t fix any problem(s) with the YouView box. (Though the good news is that there may not be any, once the TV can get back in touch with it).

So we have three things here; possibly faulty TV, possibly faulty YouView box, and possibly faulty HDMI cable, with the latter by far the most likely.

I take it that you tried the power cycling I described, and ensuring the HDMI cable was fully pushed home at both ends?

Another thing to try would be to see if any other HDMI devices work on the TV, such as a DVD or BluRay Player, if you have one, or perhaps a Smart Stick, Roku, Now or Amazon?

But if the TV can’t see the YouView box, and both are switched on having been power cycled, then a new HDMI cable is the only thing left to try. Maybe you could borrow one, if you know someone with a spare? Or use Amazon, where this cable of their own:-
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-Ultra-HDMI-Cable/dp/B014I8SSD0/ref=asc_df_B014I8SSD0/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=205210909091&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6345088771277853271&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006680&hvtargid=pla-501748991192&psc=1&th=1&psc=1
    would be more than adequate, and they would bring it to your door, so you would not have to go out to get it.
    edited 27 April 2021, 8:31AM
    The fire brigade people told me to switch off plugs at night before I go to bed. Would that interfere with the pairing of the TP-Links and yes it is a Samsung TV
    The links would probably re-pair OK. But this is all academic as long as the Samsung TV can’t see the YouView box at all.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭
    We've had problems with one of the HDMI sockets on our Samsung TV.  It would lose its connection every few weeks and I had to re-seat the plug to get the connection back. I tried different cables, but the problem kept coming back.
    The plug didn't seem to be a particularly secure fit in the socket, and I wondered if the weight of the cable was pulling the plug sideways and breaking the connection. I bought a longer cable and routed it through the cable tidy at the back of the TV to try and take the weight off the plug. It has been OK for a few months now, but I still occasionally re-seat the plug in the socket. 
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭
    Try the HDMI ARC input/output on the TV to the YouView box. Or try a new 99p HDMI cable from a pound shop. Through Roy's suggestion of an Amazon Basics cable is also a sound one. I've got some of those and they are excellent.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 704 ✭✭
    edited 27 April 2021, 6:56PM
    Remember the time retailer's like Curry's would sell gold plated one's conning people that cost was related to performance when as Visionman rightly pointed out cables from poundland are more then sufficient. 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
    kodikid said:
    Remember the time retailer's like Curry's would sell gold plated one's conning people that cost was related to performance when as Visionman rightly pointed out cables from poundland are more then sufficient. 
    Those days are not over 😢

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/tv-accessories/cables-and-accessories/302_3014_30014_xx_xx/1_20/price-desc/xx-criteria.html
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 704 ✭✭
    Roy said:
    kodikid said:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/tv-accessories/cables-and-accessories/302_3014_30014_xx_xx/1_20/price-desc/xx-criteria.html
    Oxygen free copper wire and gold plated for the bargain price of £150.
    Madness. 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
    edited 28 April 2021, 9:27AM
    kodikid said:
    Roy said:
    kodikid said:

Oxygen free copper wire and gold plated for the bargain price of £150.
    Madness. 
    And some 18Gbps, or even less, when 48Gbps is becoming the new norm, and even Curry's can do that for under £20.
  • Roy I  have now got and connected the hdmi cable. it still loads to the unable to find internet page ( the one that says Auto start or Manual and you put in on the left your IP and so on) It did try once to connect ( the youview page) the number at the bottom on the left was UKTFAA 0.05. 
  • Roy also since I connected the HDMI cable my TV source list shows at the HDMI-CEC there is now a tuner
    Roy also since I connected the HDMI cable my TV source list shows at the HDMI-CEC there is now a tuner
    @Humaxyouviewhelp

That’s progress at least; you did indeed have a faulty HDMI cable, and now your TV can see the YouView box again.

Time then, to go back to the top of this thread, to the suggestions that were made before we realised that the screen you were looking at wasn’t the YouView screen, and try those suggestions now you are looking at the display from the YouView box.
  • HumaxyouviewhelpHumaxyouviewhelp Member Posts: 9
    I have now tried both the links you said and I have the same result. I am unable to load to the home screen and so not able to get to settings
    edited 3 May 2021, 9:36PM
    I have now tried both the links you said and I have the same result. I am unable to load to the home screen and so not able to get to settings
    But the page you describe, where you put in an IP address, is in Settings.

Or are you saying that this page comes up when you try to start the box, without you choosing it?

Either way, don’t put in an IP address; clear that field and the ones below it, select Auto, and see how far you get then.
  • Roy  yes it go straight to that page that has the back of the box picture, with the ethernet cable to go in. Top right it has Start set up. I choose Start set up it then tells me can not find internet and goes to the page that has the numbers to put in (Subnet Mask , Default Gate and so on) On the right I can choose Auto or manual. I have tried all ways.
    edited 4 May 2021, 3:00PM
    @Humaxyouviewhelp

You should not enter the connection details manually unless you know precisely what you are doing. If clearing those fields and setting Auto does not work, then, with Auto still set:-

At a time you don’t need it for anything else, power down your router, and unplug it at the mains.
    Likewise for both PLAs and the YouView box.
    Wait at least two minutes.

Then power up the router, and let it settle.
    Then power up the PLA nearest the router and let that settle. 
    Check the status lights to ensure it can see the router.
    Next power up the PLA nearest the YouView box and let that settle.
    Check the status lights to ensure it is paired with the other PLA, and if not, re-pair it.
    Finally power up the YouView box, and see if it now connects to the internet.