TV not picking up COM7 from Sutton Coldfield

beepbeep Member Posts: 5
Hi, I've recently changed TV in my living room.  Old TV was a Sony and picked up all freeview channels.  New TV is a Phillips and doesn't pick up all channels.  After a bit of searching I established its not seeing COM7 channels. (Eg bbc news hd).

Perfect signal from everything else  and I'm within 5 miles of transmitter with a roof aerial.

Does anybody know any reason why my TV wouldn't be picking this up?

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 May 2021, 9:36AM
    Hi @beep

Does your YouView box get COM7? Or was it that your old Sony had YouView on it, and was OK?

I would suggest a retune of the Philips, see if it gets COM7 now.
    ‘For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like’
  • beepbeep Member Posts: 5
    My sony had youview built in and received the com7 channels regardless of whether youview enabled or using the Sony default freeview interface. 

Phillips has been retuned, doesn't find the com7 channels and i can't find it manually.  (Some guides tell me to tune to channel 55 but I don't know what that is.  My Philips only let's me input mhz and no signal on 746mhz).

Sorry, I'm not actually using Youview on the Philips, I came here because a Google search found other discussion about freeview mux tuning and hoping someone may be able to help.
    Actually, I am wondering if the TV fitter has included a 700 mhz filter when he put my TV on the wall and routed the aerial cable to it.

I'm a but confused about this 700mhz clearance for 5g if COM7 is still transmitting on 746mhz 
    edited 9 May 2021, 5:31PM
    @beep

According to this:-

https://www.freeview.co.uk/700mhz

the clearance for Sutton Coldfield was planned for Q1 2018, and the whole nationwide clearance was completed in August 2020.

I am unable to easily discover a resource that will tell me what frequency COM 7 currently transmits on from Sutton Coldfield. I see 746 MHz in the Wikipedia entry for Sutton Coldfield, and several other places, including the link below, but this must surely now be out of date?

https://www.aerialsandtv.com/knowledge/transmitters/sutton-coldfield-transmitter

I think you should go back to your TV fitter, though, explain that you have lost COM 7, and seek his advice on this. It may be that he has done something that reduces the aerial signal at the TV, such that COM 7, always low power, can no longer be pulled in.

You might want to ask Freeview what they think, also; they are most anxious to help individual users, and you can readily get in touch with them on 
    03456 505050. (And while you are on, please ask about the 746 MHz thing, and let us know).

You might also want to ask Philips if their TV tuners are less sensitive than Sony ones. If their answer is other than an unequivocal ’No’, you may need an aerial booster, aerial upgrade or even a new aerial.

And if you can lay that at the door of Freeview and their 700Mhz clearance, then Freeview may even do that for you free of charge.
    I live really pretty close to the transmitter and have 100% signal power showing on my TV for the other multiplexes. I really can't see it being signal strength that is the problem.

The 700 mhz clearance confuses me, because com7 moved *to* uhf ch55 / 746mhz as part of the 700mhz clearance while other multiplexes were moved to lower frequencies. 

It looks like the auction for this bandwidth has only just gone ahead (27/04/2021), so maybe me changing TV is coincidence and Com7 has stopped transmitting following that auction.  (EE now have the rights to 738-758mhz).  How would I check that do you know?

edited 10 May 2021, 8:40AM
    beep said:
    I live really pretty close to the transmitter and have 100% signal power showing on my TV for the other multiplexes. I really can't see it being signal strength that is the problem.

The 700 mhz clearance confuses me, because com7 moved *to* uhf ch55 / 746mhz as part of the 700mhz clearance while other multiplexes were moved to lower frequencies. 

It looks like the auction for this bandwidth has only just gone ahead (27/04/2021), so maybe me changing TV is coincidence and Com7 has stopped transmitting following that auction.  (EE now have the rights to 738-758mhz).  How would I check that do you know?

I suggested an answer to that in my post above yours - perhaps you missed it? 😢

You might want to ask Freeview what they think, also; they are most anxious to help individual users, and you can readily get in touch with them on 
    03456 505050. (And while you are on, please ask about the 746 MHz thing, and let us know).

Thanks I will try calling them.

Incidentally I did establish that the Com7 and Com8 muxes are considered temporary.  They were moved into the 700mhz range as part of the clearance, I believe because they can just be switched off when required, before the 5g use of this range goes live. 

I wonder if Sutton coldfield has now switched it off, following EEs acquisition of the frequency 2 weeks ago.

Can you confirm that you are still picking up Com7 broadcasts? (bbc news HD ch 107 being an example)
    @beep

TV reception where I live is so awful that our development has its own relay service, which picks up Rowridge terrestrial, and also picks up satellite, which is piped into our homes over fibre optic, and then distributed to wall plates in most rooms. 

But we can’t get COM 7 on the system, because of its lower power compared with the other multiplexes.

Rowridge is still shown as transmitting COM 7, though I have no direct knowledge as to whether it is.

I can get BBC4 in HD, the only COM7-8 channel I really care about, on Freesat, though of course I can’t record it on YouView.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    edited 10 May 2021, 5:05PM
    @beep
    According to this: https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Sutton_Coldfield , Sutton Coldfield is still transmitting Com7. 
    We receive Com7 on 746MHz. The signal from our aerial is attenuated to avoid problems associated with high signal strength. The usual advice if you have reception problems with a strong signal is to attenuate it to get the strength reading below 100%.
    Com7 is one of the lower power muxes, but it is still worth trying an attenuator in your aerial lead.