New Format

valwil1943valwil1943 Member Posts: 2
I do not like this new layout that has replaced, Guide, Players and Apps, My TV, Settings, in My TV I could easily find my recorded programs but not now, why have you changed it, my 77 year old brain can't cope with changes.

Comments

• StephenStephen Member Posts: 746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Val (I assume from your username) - just imagine the new homescreen is like the old one but rotated 90 degrees clockwise.
    Whereas before you pressed Right, Right, OK to get to MyTV, now you press Down, Down, OK.
    The list of tiles to the right of the MyTV button is the same summary that appeared under the headings in the old version, and the fullscreen view you get when you press OK on the heading is still exactly the same.
    There's also this help page for the new screen https://support.youview.com/homescreen/ if you want to read more.
    Hope this helps

• alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    Stephen said:
    the new homescreen is like the old one but rotated 90 degrees clockwise.
    and then flipped left/right
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,791 ✭✭✭
    edited 25 May 2021, 10:55PM
    al said:
    Stephen said:
    the new homescreen is like the old one but rotated 90 degrees clockwise.
    and then flipped left/right
    @al

Howso flipped left right?

The old presentation:-

A     B     C     D     E          (Menu Options)
    a1 a2 a3 a4 a5 a6…….   (Thumbnails for Option A, which changes to those 
                                               for B, C, D, E as you move the focus along the
                                               options)
    becomes:-

A a1 a2 a3 a4 a5 a6…….
    B b1 b2 b3 b4 b5 b6……
    C c1 c2 c3 c4 c5 c6…….
    D d1 d2 d3 d4 d5 d6……
    E e1 e2 e3 e4 e5 e6……

So where you used to go right, right, right, OK along the Menu Options, you now go down, down, down, OK, exactly the same number of keypresses to get to exactly the same screen you got to before.

The only difference is that you get all the thumbnails at once the new way, instead of one row at a time, giving you added convenience (if you ever used them before, that is), but at the cost of the screen taking longer to paint.

Opinions and experiences differ as to whether this is infinitesimally, or catastrophically, longer.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    If you rotate 
    A B C D E
    1  2 3  4 5
    90 degree clockwise you get
    1 A
    2 B
    3 C
    4 D
    5 E
    So either the content will be off the left side of the screen or the menu buttons would be off to the right (and even harder to find)
    edited 26 May 2021, 10:09AM
    al said:
    If you rotate 
    A B C D E
    1  2 3  4 5
    90 degree clockwise you get
    1 A
    2 B
    3 C
    4 D
    5 E
    So either the content will be off the left side of the screen or the menu buttons would be off to the right (and even harder to find)
    @al

Ah, you think @Stephen should have been more precise and said:
    ’ the new homescreen is like the old one but with the menu options rotated 90 degrees clockwise, but the thumbnails (content) maintaining their horizontal orientation’.

I noticed that, but figured that everyone would understand what Stephen meant, well enough.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Roy @al We can provide an origami set if there's enough demand?

Good idea.
    Will it be called Stephen's On Demand Origami Folding Feature?
    Perhaps not.
    Stephen said:
    @Roy @al We can provide an origami set if there's enough demand?

@Stephen @al

Oh dear. I was hoping that YouView was not thinking of folding 🔰