BT Extra box query

robotmanrobotman Member Posts: 198
OK folks. Quick question. To have BT TV in a 2nd room (I think they call it Extra Box) must I have an aerial plugged into the box?
"Flash, Flash, I love you, but we only have 14 hours to save the Earth"

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,941 ✭✭✭
    edited 13 June 2021, 11:28AM
    robotman said:
    OK folks. Quick question. To have BT TV in a 2nd room (I think they call it Extra Box) must I have an aerial plugged into the box?
    @robotman

Quick question, long answer 😢

https://www.bt.com/help/tv/getting-set-up/can-i-watch-bt-tv-in-more-than-one-room-
    • A separate aeriel (sic) connection for your second box. We can help if you need an aerial or additional connection points.
    But as ever, the exact requirement is that you must have had an aerial plugged in and tuned the box, but you don’t need to keep the aerial connected. Though you will need it again if you ever have to retune. (EDIT: Maybe. See below).

Though what happens if you tune without an aerial? I tried this, and I still got all the BT subscription channels (even though I am not subscribed, so I couldn’t watch them, to be absolutely sure they still work like this).

But 331, 333 and 334 got me Britbox, Netflix and Prime Video respectively, via red button, which slightly surprised me; I’m subscribed to them, but not through BT. 

So if the BT TV channels are all you are interested in, the aerial probably isn’t needed; though if you want the terrestrial channels, you will need to tune with an aerial.

Also surprisingly, all the Players worked without their corresponding terrestrial channels being tuned in, though I don’t know if they retained any memory of the channels having been tuned previously. 

If not, this might imply that YouView have quietly removed this restriction on the Players, but I’m not going to do a Factory Reset to find out! @Stephen?

But pretty much now, I think, the only reason to get an Extra box is to watch BT Sport; you can’t record unless you swap in a recording box of your own, and you can watch Now programmes on any other device that can get them, even a non-Extra second YouView box.

If I may ask, what would be your intention with the Extra box?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 725 ✭✭
    Quick answer yes and no.
    For full capability yes
    Streaming no
    Obviously you will need PLA's for the latter. 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
    kodikid said:
    Quick answer yes and no.
    For full capability yes
    Streaming no
    Obviously you will need PLA's for the latter. 
    Funny, I don’t need any PLAs for streaming….
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,163 ✭✭✭
    edited 13 June 2021, 12:27PM
    robotman said:

You need an aerial to boot it. After that its your choice. So if you want to go internet only go the gosh ahead.  :)  
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 13 June 2021, 1:28PM
    Not sure that's correct Visionman,  when you go through the start up menu you actually can't continue till it's connected to the Internet. 
    You can take it to a friend's, connect it to a router then finish setting it up but without your own router your scuppered. 

Visionman said:
    robotman said:

You need an aerial to boot it. After that its your choice. So if you want to go internet only go the gosh ahead.  :)  
    @Visionman

How are you defining boot? 

When I was actually simulating what @robotman was looking for, best I could this morning, rather than merely relying on what I thought might be true, I pulled the aerial connection, and then took the box out of standby. 

It came up and reported that it seemed that an aerial wasn’t present, but it let me continue with all the other things the box could still do.
    edited 13 June 2021, 5:26PM
    But your box had already been booted up via an aerial, so you would first need to crash it. THEN boot it up without an aerial. Basics Roy, basics.
    edited 13 June 2021, 7:21PM
    Visionman said:
    But your box had already been booted up via an aerial, so you would first need to crash it. THEN boot it up without an aerial. Basics Roy, basics.
    @Visionman

Would pulling the mains off it count as crashing it, Visionman?

I’m guessing that neither you nor little dog @kodikid CBA to actually try this, despite my heavy hints earlier.

So patronising, Visionman, and kodikid for blindly agreeing with you, patronising. And wrong.

As Will Rogers used to say “Tain’t what you don’t know that catches you out; it’s what you do know, that ain’t so”.
    Will who?
    Roy said:
    Visionman said:
    @Visionman

So patronising, Visionman, and kodikid for blindly agreeing with you, patronising. And wrong.

Me patronising? Ha! Heres a mirror, oh God of the YouView forum. Not. :s 
    Oh dear. Should I send the locusts, or the boils, or what? Decisions, decisions…… 😖🤔
    I've met you.
    I remember.
    No you don't.
  • robotmanrobotman Member Posts: 198
    edited 14 June 2021, 10:26AM
    @Roy I wasn't aware you couldn't record on the 2nd box. That would have been my main need as it would have been a replacement for my better half (a la Sky Q) when I was watching sports on the main box.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Thank goodness I asked here before taking the plunge.

PS. sorry this has led to a minor argument between @Roy and @Visionman :(

"Flash, Flash, I love you, but we only have 14 hours to save the Earth"
    That's the good thing about BT tv.
    It gives you the option of watching sub channels on either box.
    So don't bother with muti room just head off to e Bay and purchase a T2000 (or splash out on a T4000 but be warned they are not as silent as a 2000) and enjoy football on both boxes. 
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 582 ✭✭
    Unless you have Extra Box I'm certain that you can only use one at a time to view or record subscription channels and you have to switch which box has those channels.
    Sorry didn't explain properly. 
    Tim is correct you can choose between boxes but only watch subscription channels on one.
    Still better to buy second recordable box though then pay £5 extra monthly. 
    edited 14 June 2021, 11:18PM
    @robotman

To be crystal clear, in case I wasn’t above, BT will only supply a zapper (non-recording) box as the Extra box. But as long as you have a second recording box of your own, you can make that the Extra box, and then you can record from the BT TV channels on it; there’s no technical limitation here.

Don't worry about Visionman and me though. Either of us is perfectly capable of starting a fight in an empty room 🤯
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 582 ✭✭
    Just to add to @Roy comment, that's exactly what I did when I had Extra Box and the zapper is still in it's original shrink wrapped packaging.

• StephenStephen Member Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re:booting - I think people are using terminology in different ways here. Think of all YV boxes as just small linux desktop computers. They don't have a hibernate, only a "sleep". Pressing "off" on the remote turns off HDMI, waits 5 minutes just in case, then puts itself to sleep. But pulling the power, holding the power button for 8 seconds, or using Power Saver etc. modes kills the power entirely and then turning it on boots it up "from cold".

Regions, channels, settings, scheduled recordings, the fact that you've completed setup etc. are saved in non-volatile storage, so you don't need an aerial in from "boot", you only ever need it once during the setup app ("first boot"?) so it can save its current region, then you're good forevermore (lest thou factory reset).
    edited 14 June 2021, 10:11PM
    Roy said: Don't worry about Visionman and me though. Either of us is perfectly capable of starting a fight in an empty room 🤯

I couldn't start a fight in any kind of room as I'm not a violent person. And I know your not either. Though have the two of us have always had a healthy debate? Absolutely! 

edited 14 June 2021, 10:13PM
    Visionman said:
    Though have the two of us have always had a healthy debate? Absolutely!
    Healthy debate? Sounds familiar! New channel launching soon: RV News
    Stephen said:
    Visionman said:
    Though have the two of us have always had a healthy debate? Absolutely!
    Healthy debate? Sounds familiar! New channel launching soon: RV News

What does RV stand for Stephen?
    Roy & Visionman News, the home of healthy debate!
    Nothing to do with RVs (i.e. motorhomes etc)
    edited 14 June 2021, 10:50PM
    Stephen said:
    Roy & Visionman News, the home of healthy debate!
    Nothing to do with RVs (i.e. motorhomes etc)

When I read that I actually laughed out loud.  :smile:

I bet Roy's going to report you....   :D:D:D:wink:
    I'd report me, frankly. Not least for being gratuitously off topic
    edited 14 June 2021, 11:17PM
    Nice one.

So to summarise what everyone else has said when you take out a BT TV subscription they give you a box on which you can record on one box only. If anyone wants to take an extra box it's a zapper only (which isn't a recorder). So all you have to do is purchase or own a second YouView PVR and connect it up. Once thats done you can nominate which one you want to be the main box and switch recording services between the two but note its only available on one box at a time including subscription channels.

I bet that sounds about as clear as mud. They definitely don't make it easy.
    Stephen said:
    Re:booting - I think people are using terminology in different ways here. Think of all YV boxes as just small linux desktop computers. They don't have a hibernate, only a "sleep". Pressing "off" on the remote turns off HDMI, waits 5 minutes just in case, then puts itself to sleep. But pulling the power, holding the power button for 8 seconds, or using Power Saver etc. modes kills the power entirely and then turning it on boots it up "from cold".

Regions, channels, settings, scheduled recordings, the fact that you've completed setup etc. are saved in non-volatile storage, so you don't need an aerial in from "boot", you only ever need it once during the setup app ("first boot"?) so it can save its current region, then you're good forevermore (lest thou factory reset).
    @Stephen

I hope not forever more, as we recently moved house 🏡

So I’m guessing that a retune that finds new or revised channels is an opportunity for the box to amend the stored Region?

But a retune with the aerial pulled out isn’t?

So as far as Robotman’s query goes, a brand new box set up without an aerial in does what? Refuses to complete setup? 

Or completes setup without establishing a Region, which will cause the itv Hub and All4 Players to decline to work (though the BBC iPlayer and My5 will work)?

Or what? As despite my predilection for testing what actually happens in various circumstances, I am reluctant to establish the starting conditions for this one 😛