Humax dtr-1000 broke after update

mikkmikk Member Posts: 1
edited 8 July 2021, 8:54PM in Support
Can anybody supply an email for Humax ?. I understand its an old box but a software update shouldn't destroy the box. It is used infrequently, I turned on today and agreed to the sw update. It froze on black after update, I power cycled, it worked briefly then froze black again and fails to boot.

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,889 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 July 2021, 9:55PM
    @mikk

Humax won’t be able to do anything 😢

YouView, with their frequent pointless updates, because they don’t have any ‘user-facing features’, or have stuff we don’t want instead of stuff we do, have never seemed to learn that every update is a hurdle that a number of boxes fall at, and never recover.

And T1000s were always most prone to this, and anyway haven’t aged well.

My advice is don't try to run one, unless you are the sort of person who cherishes a classic car, or runs 1980s computers out of nostalgia. T2xxxs are all over eBay, for a few tens of quids.

But if you want to resurrect your T1000, Maintenance Mode may be your friend. May…..

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode/

Make sure you follow the instructions for the T1000, as later versions are different.

Start with an Option 2, and if it works, follow up with an Option 4. Both preserve all your recordings.

If still no go, Option 5 is your last-chance saloon to try and resurrect the box, but it will lose all your recordings 😢
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭
    Roy said:
    @mikk

Humax won’t be able to do anything 😢

YouView, with their frequent pointless updates, because they don’t have any ‘user-facing features’, or have stuff we don’t want instead of stuff we do, have never seemed to learn that every update is a hurdle that a number of boxes fall at, and never recover.

And T1000s were always most prone to this, and anyway haven’t aged well.

My advice is don't try to run one, unless you are the sort of person who cherishes a classic car, or runs 1980s computers out of nostalgia. T2xxxs are all over eBay, for a few tens of quids.

But if you want to resurrect your T1000, Maintenance Mode may be your friend. May…..

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode/

Make sure you follow the instructions for the T1000, as later versions are different.

Start with an Option 2, and if it works, follow up with an Option 4. Both preserve all your recordings.

If still no go, Option 5 is your last-chance saloon to try and resurrect the box, but it will lose all your recordings 😢
    T1000s haven't had any updates since last August, so @mikk's must have been off the road for a long time to have not received it earlier. Nearly as long as my Triumph Stag has been off the road awaiting its new cylinder head.
    You must excuse me now, because I am off to play Lemmings on my Acorn Atom computer. :p
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 825 ✭✭
    I think I will get my sinclair spectrum out if I can find it. Just needs a "quick reboot". You can't beat old technology!
    John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,889 ✭✭✭
    @John L

Sinclair Spectrum? Latecomer…..😛
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris