Ebay

Comments

• redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭
    But the Sky Q multi box "experience" costs a bloody fortune doesn't it? I am sure the technology is there, remember that Sky have a hundred year start, whereas BT have relatively recently decided to go into the wider media world.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,163 ✭✭✭
    redchiz said:
    But the Sky Q multi box "experience" costs a bloody fortune doesn't it? I am sure the technology is there, remember that Sky have a hundred year start, whereas BT have relatively recently decided to go into the wider media world.

Genuine question - what do you mean by BT going 'into the wider media world'?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 584 ✭✭
    kodikid said:
    What I don't understand is why it can't mimic Sky Q and play your recordings around the house using mini boxes. 
    At the moment BT muti room ( £5 subscription)  uses the never really any good prehistoric zapper box.
    It's akin to having a Ford Focus coupled with a Ford Anglia., bizarre. 

As a slight aside , I've a Panasonic HWT-150 pvr.
    It's relatively slow & with a list based UI but there's a feature that almost matches Sky Q in that I can watch recordings that it's made on any of my TV's in any room and it remembers where I last got up to.
    Using Panasonic TVs , which I do, once the recording has been selected I can control it by the TV's remote.
    It also has a feature that let's you play the recording at 1 1/3 speed with audio which is quite handy when catching up on a live recording.
  • SavenSaven Member Posts: 53

It's relatively slow & with a list based UI but there's a feature that almost matches Sky Q in that I can watch recordings that it's made on any of my TV's in any room and it remembers where I last got up to.
    Using Panasonic TVs , which I do, once the recording has been selected I can control it by the TV's remote.
    It also has a feature that let's you play the recording at 1 1/3 speed with audio which is quite handy when catching up on a live recording.

The other thing that only Panasonics have is a one button press to skip to end of commercials. It isn’t perfect but it works most of the time.
    I mean Sky were essentially a media company which branched out into communications; BT were the opposite. 
    edited 9 September 2021, 12:30PM
    redchiz said:
    I mean Sky were essentially a media company which branched out into communications; BT were the opposite. 

And? What does that matter? Don't get it?
    @Visionman I was just suggesting that Sky have a considerable head start in providing TV services and the means to view them, just my thoughts, that's all. Is this the five minute argument, or the full half-hour?  🙄
  • robotmanrobotman Member Posts: 198
    jimb said:
    robotman said:

... I find them very zippy indeed.
    :o:o:o  How many do you have? 
    I've independently tested in the region of 150 of the units :D
    "Flash, Flash, I love you, but we only have 14 hours to save the Earth"
    edited 9 September 2021, 2:16PM
    Well you are @robotman after all!  😉
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭
    robotman said:
    jimb said:
    robotman said:

Wow. And you finally found one that worked? 🤣
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 September 2021, 6:36PM
    Saven said:

The other thing that only Panasonics have is a one button press to skip to end of commercials. It isn’t perfect but it works most of the time.
    Hi @Saven
    Which is the button on Panasonic remotes that requires one press to skip to the end of commercials?
    The Panasonic remote has +60/-10 seconds skip buttons. Four presses on the +60sec button jumps to the end of most advert breaks. The machine is slow to react to each press.
    Our T1000 Youview box jumps forward 60 seconds on pressing the >>| button. It is much quicker to react to each press than the Panasonic.
    The Panasonic Time Slip function is useful, but using it requires five button presses to jump forward four minutes.
    Manhattan T3-Rs have a +30/-10 second skip feature.
    edited 9 September 2021, 6:42PM
    redchiz said:
    @Visionman I was just suggesting that Sky have a considerable head start in providing TV services and the means to view them, just my thoughts, that's all. Is this the five minute argument, or the full half-hour?  🙄

Neither. Your only arguing with yourself? As for me I only asked a couple of questions. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Visionman said:

Neither. Your only arguing with yourself. As for me I only asked a couple of questions. Which I did. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Dearie me, after all these years you still haven't grasped the community guidelines? I posted a point of view. You are simply naysaying it. I haven't reported you yet, but I remain on standby. 

@kodikid - what make is the new box?
    Visionman said:
    And? What does that matter? Don't get it?  🙄

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭
    redchiz said:
    Visionman said:
    And? What does that matter? Don't get it?  🙄

Apologies to everyone by the way, this is what happens when you put the children in charge of the community.  🤪
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 727 ✭✭
    edited 9 September 2021, 9:39PM
    Visionman said:

Hi Visionman 
    It's manufactured by Sagemcom.
    As I have the pro box and a T4000 in daily use I am in a position to judge them both.   
    Definitely say the ui on the pro is a lot faster. 
    The pro just seems a step up in quality and the Bluetooth remote is vastly superior, really is next level. As soon as you grasp it you can feel the difference. 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 528 ✭✭
    kodikid said:
    Visionman said:

Hi Visionman 
    As I have the pro box and a T4000 in daily use I am in a position to judge them both.   
    The pro just seems a step up in quality and the Bluetooth remote is vastly superior, really is next level. As soon as you grasp it you can feel the difference. 
    Thats what I like about the new Amazon Fire TV stick remote its Bluetooth and is vastly superior to the old Fire TV stick remote that I still have as a back up.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 727 ✭✭
    I remember when I first got a youview box...bloody nightmare linking the remote to the tv.
    In all fairness that was probably my fault but this one you literally don't have to do anything as it works straight out of the box.

Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • Rob PRob P Member Posts: 94
    robotman said:
    redchiz said:
    Is it still the standard albeit BT-skinned YouView UI?
    Yes it is. It's the 'new' recently released Youview UI. It is much faster though on the new boxes, I find them very zippy indeed.
    Quite irritated that the new UI, clearly designed then with this faster machine in mind, has been foisted upon older boxes with less capable hardware, very much to their detriment.

I have both a Humax T2000 and a BT DTR2110, both of which were perfectly zippy and responsive until the latest interface update which turned them both, overnight, into tortoises stuck in treacle. And it surely can't be simply the additional thumbnails on the main screen; the full MyTV page has been stuffed full of thumbnails for some time prior to this without any ill effects and this update has slowed that right down too with no visible change to this area.

Very unhappy that YouView continue to p*** about with MY boxes.
    edited 9 September 2021, 10:57PM
    kodikid said:
    Visionman said:

Hi Visionman 

Hi and thanks for the confirmation. TalkTalks new box is manufactured by Technicolor but has yet to see the light of day.
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 528 ✭✭
    I don't like how the Youview mini guide still shows the SD version of a channel and not the HD version.
    This is something that I have said in the past and nothing has changed.
    edited 9 September 2021, 11:10PM
    Darren said:
    I don't like how the Youview mini guide still shows the SD version of a channel and not the HD version.
    This is something that I have said in the past and nothing has changed.

It will, but probably not until the backend of 2022 when BBC News regional HD variants become available. Further to this the North West is going to get its own BBC1 HD area variant which will be positioned at placeholder (LCN) 1. Then it will roll out to the rest of the country where available.
  • robotmanrobotman Member Posts: 198
    Roy said:
    robotman said:
    jimb said:
    robotman said:

Wow. And you finally found one that worked? 🤣
    Funny but it's a part of my job  :D
    "Flash, Flash, I love you, but we only have 14 hours to save the Earth"
    I couldn't get my hands on a BT PRO to test, as there was no availability.  :(
    kodikid said:
    I remember when I first got a youview box...bloody nightmare linking the remote to the tv.
    In all fairness that was probably my fault but this one you literally don't have to do anything as it works straight out of the box.

If you have never had a Bluetooth remote before it's a revelation, isn't it?  🙂
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭
    redchiz said:
    kodikid said:

If you have never had a Bluetooth remote before it's a revelation, isn't it?  🙂
    I've never had one, so could you guys explain why it's so good (apart from the fact that you can put the box in a cupboard). Is it that the box can talk back to the remote, but how would that be useful? 
    Never put the box in a cupboard mate.
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭
    redchiz said:
    Never put the box in a cupboard mate.
    Never? Even if it was a nice big cupboard with good ventilation?
    But you haven't answered my question (or was your "revelation" comment taking the ****?) 
    No. I think I'll take another break from here. I cannot believe the levels of hostility and unpleasantness.  😟