Older TVs working with YouView

Beeky75Beeky75 Member Posts: 3
I have a Panasonic TX-L37E30B TV which works well. I am considering cancelling my sky subscription and buying a BT YouView box. Can anyone tell me if these boxes are compatible with my TV Please.

Comments

• Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 681 ✭✭
    If you have a spare HDMI port on the TV, yes the box will work. Some boxes also have Scart. You will also need a working internet ( not WiFi) connection for set up.
    Do you have a box or thinking of buying one?
    If the latter, then getting one now will mean using eBay as they are not available via retail sources any longer.
    If you are looking for catch-up apps then these are limited and some don't have Prime, so check carefully the box has what you are looking for and avoid Humax T1*** and TalkTalk DN 370T boxes as these are no longer supported for updates and some catch-up apps no longer work on these boxes.
  • Beeky75Beeky75 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for the Steve. Very helpful. Yes the TV does have a spare HDMI port and a Scart. I am a Prime member so would want the box to operate with Prime. I had thought I would get a YouView box from eBay but if you thinks an alternative would be better I would be grateful for your advice. As I might consider changing the Tv for more modern one next year I don’t want to pay too much but the thing is that our old TV has terrific clarity and I am reluctant to bin it.
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 905 ✭✭
    edited 24 December 2021, 12:11PM
    Hi @beeky75, welcome to the forum. 
    I can highly recommend Richer Sounds for tv's. Richer Sounds | Experience Better They all come with a 6 year warranty inc & their staff know their stuff. Been a loyal customer for over 40 years (I don't work for them!). There are many brands out there & depending on your budget/size of screen you may get something at a good price. Read the reviews & ideally go and see the tv's in action. I know what you mean regarding picture clarity. The older tv's were better with standard definition due to method picture was decoded: interlaced/progressive.

When you go for a demo, while looking at HD picture, also make sure you ask to see Standard definition picture comparisions as the picture is more washed out depending on content/broadcast quality. I remember noticing this when I purchased my first Flat screen HD tv. All the salesman were only interested in showing you HD content.

In the meantime, Merry Christmas! John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 December 2021, 1:46PM
    @Beeky75

If you want Prime, then best avoid the Humax Retail YouView boxes, the DTR-T2000s as well, as last I heard they don’t have Prime, and @Visionman  asserts that they never will (though as usual, provides no supporting evidence for this assertion).

There are currently three sources of YouView boxes; a subscription to BT TV (which requires you to be on BT Broadband); eBay, and Amazon Marketplace.

Nothing to chose between the last two sources really.

For the long-term, you might want to consider a BT DTR-T4000, which has 4K, for the apps at least, so good for Prime. This will still be compatible with your existing HD TV, while you continue to use this.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 614 ✭✭
    edited 24 December 2021, 2:05PM
    As you've a Panasonic TV consider a Panasonic HWT-150 as a recorder. The controller supplied will automatically control you TV to a certain extent like On/Off, input selection , volume & channel hopping.
    It doesn't get the awful Youview updates , has wifi and all the catchup TV you need. Also has Prime & Netflix plus a few others. It can also play video from a USB device or a networked NAS and has 4K.
    Here's a comparison I did 2 years ago - see https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/comment/19002035 
    Note that was before the latest incarnation of the Youview interface which I personally hate.
    You will be buying this new with a full warranty.

• joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 December 2021, 12:52PM
    Tim C said:
    As you've a Panasonic TV consider a Panasonic HWT-150 as a recorder. The controller supplied will automatically control you TV to a certain extent like On/Off, input selection , volume & channel hopping.
    It doesn't get the awful Youview updates , has wifi and all the catchup TV you need. Also has Prime & Netflix plus a few others. It can also play video from a USB device or a networked NAS and has 4K.
    Here's a comparison I did 2 years ago - see https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/comment/19002035 
    Note that was before the latest incarnation of the Youview interface which I personally hate.
    You will be buying this new with a full warranty.
    Hi @Tim C

The Panasonic DMR-HWT150 Freeview Play recorder is a discontinued product.

The only recorder that is currently available to buy from the Panasonic Direct website is the £499.99 DMR-BWT850EB, which is a BlueRay recorder as well as HDD.

edited 26/12/21

And has it got Amazon Prime?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    Roy said:
    And has it got Amazon Prime?
    It's got Prime Video. 
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 614 ✭✭
    Panasonic PWT550 is available at £299 and you can still find the HWT150.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭
    If your budget will stretch to around £140 look on e Bay for a BT Pro box.
    It's the very latest youview box and beats any pvr that's available without subscription. 
    And yes it does have prime.

Deacon Blue hit from October 88
    kodikid said:
    If your budget will stretch to around £140 look on e Bay for a BT Pro box.
    It's the very latest youview box and beats any pvr that's available without subscription. 
    And yes it does have prime.

@Beeky75

Just don’t try to watch it in UHD 😢

🎅🏻🎅🏻🎅🏻🎅🏻
  • Beeky75Beeky75 Member Posts: 3
    Many thanks to all who have responded. It has certainly given me food for thought. I will get back later with what I decided. Best wishes
    Tim C said:
    Panasonic PWT550 is available at £299 and you can still find the HWT150.
    Thanks @Tim C.
    I edited my post to clarify.