Annoying program guide highlighting

zappyzappy Member Posts: 1
Just bought my mum a bt youview box because i have an old one and its stood the test of time but on hers the tv guide highlights (expands) the program your looking at but obscures everything else around it. How annoying! Tempted to demand my money back as it seems to have no option to turn this facility off? Why? It doesn't do it on my box which has to be 10 yrs old, so why now? Is there a way to stop it? Is the person who thought this is a great idea still employed? I know lets have a tv guide you cant read by expanding what your on! Buffoonery at its finest. 
Unless there is a fix of which i will apologise. Please advise…

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,390 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 February 2022, 9:22AM
    @zappy

Greetings and welcome to the Community!

I expect you have an old black T1000 box, which hasn’t got the welly to pull this stunt.

You are far from alone in not liking it, but YouView unilaterally decide on these things, and are not much given to providing a page in Settings where we might customise them (i.e. switch them off!)

We are always assured by YouView that customer testing has taken place, and these new facilities have been welcomed with open arms. But we are never quite sure who these people are, and of course, very few people post to welcome new features, unless these are things we have been asking for for ages, which have finally arrived.

It is a further source of frustration when you know that these unlooked-for ‘improvements’ must have been coded by the scarce development resources who could have been writing the things we had asked for, instead 😢 

A thing I have been asking for almost since day 1 is that a YouView box should tell you that date it was last updated, instead of, or as well as the last date updates were checked for, which is almost always last night anyway. This would help enormously with those ‘my box updated and now it won’t xxx’ reports when you are pretty sure there hasn’t been a recent update.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭
    It's compulsory. And your right.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • poppasmurfpoppasmurf Member Posts: 3
    Most definitely the most hated feature on my box, and is a right pain in the 'arris. 
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 616 ✭✭
    We were told (!) that we would grow to love it.

Well, I still hate it. It's not even an update I have learned to live with as it's an irritant.
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 604 ✭✭
    Totally agree. It was a pointless "update" and means for me that I don't use the guide if I can avoid it and just do look ups & programme setting via the app.

The other annoying thing is the ability to jump through a recording using the number buttons as it's so easy to inadvertently touch one and lose ones place in the playback. I do see it's usefulness but maybe it should be number + OK or Play or something similar.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 965 ✭✭
    In all fairness have seen lots of various UI's and YouView definitely one of the best.
    Ignore this if you disagree. Oh wait I just remembered I don't give a 
  • Rob PRob P Member Posts: 104 ✭✭
    Tim C said:
    Totally agree. It was a pointless "update" and means for me that I don't use the guide if I can avoid it and just do look ups & programme setting via the app.

The other annoying thing is the ability to jump through a recording using the number buttons as it's so easy to inadvertently touch one and lose ones place in the playback. I do see it's usefulness but maybe it should be number + OK or Play or something similar.
    Yes, whilst I appreciate the almost-return of the much-missed jump-to-time feature, I find I activate it accidentally more often than intentionally. 

I used to love Youview. It had a great interface, and was responsive. I even got used to the tiles, in the end. But each successive update has chipped away at my fondness for the whole thing.

The ridiculous highlighting as per the subject of the thread; it is pointless. As stated, it is too big, obliterating other bits of the guide around it that you want to see, and yet also too small to contain any actual useful information.

The other more recent and on the face of it, entirely pointless change, where the menu became vertical instead of horizontal, also brought with it an alarming dose of lag throughout the entire system, not just on the changed screens. It is now like wading through treacle. I have 2 boxes (BT 2110, Humax T2000) both being rendered almost un-useably slow as soon as they received that update. Often after pressing the big blue Y/home button to bring up the menu, and pressing down twice to reach my recordings, it will have got so far then jumped back up to the top having decided to refresh itself once it had finished loading the images.

I have now replaced one of these machines with a Manhattan T3R which is a breath of fresh air in comparison. There's a dedicated button to access recordings. It responds instantly to any button press. There's a proper jump to time feature, much like Youview used to have, where you enter the exact minute (and OK to confirm). I don't have to keep moving the highlight around in the guide in order to see all the info. It's not perfect, there is no remote recording app (yet, so they say...), and some other areas of the guide navigation are sadly lacking compared to Youview but generally speaking it's a whole lot less irritating to use.
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 604 ✭✭
    I solved one problem by getting a Plusnet controller where you use what was the "My BT" button to go straight to the recordings.
    I got some Panasonic recorders that are much simpler to use with a single button press turns on the box & TV and takes you straight to recordings.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭
    Personally I'd be lost without my YouView and am dreading the day when it dies.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    Visionman said:
    That's the reason I replaced my 2 ancient T4000's for 2 Pro boxes.
    Imagine the technology of a Sky box with the functionality of youview. Wi Fi 4 tuners and UHD are all there.. The only thing lacking is muti room but that costs around £10 a month with Sky anyway so a years subscription of that would pay for a bedroom pro box.
    It's more likely the PVR market will flounder before any streaming device. Sky have already started the ball rolling with Sky glass. It's definitely a generation thing as most if not all under 30's only stream content. 
    kodikid said:
    Visionman said:
    That's the reason I replaced my 2 ancient T4000's for 2 Pro boxes.
    Imagine the technology of a Sky box with the functionality of youview. Wi Fi 4 tuners and UHD are all there.. The only thing lacking is muti room but that costs around £10 a month with Sky anyway so a years subscription of that would pay for a bedroom pro box.
    It's more likely the PVR market will flounder before any streaming device. Sky have already started the ball rolling with Sky glass. It's definitely a generation thing as most if not all under 30's only stream content. 
    @kodikid

If YouView dies, it will take your Pro boxes with it just as surely as it would your T4000s.

It is a fundamental user risk in the YouView approach that it requires a mother ship that the boxes can phone home to, so if YouView goes phut, then they either need to make a final release that cuts those ties (probably infeasible) or someone, probably BT, will need to scoop up the remains of YouView and keep it running.

And if they do that, I doubt they will cut the T4000s adrift and support only the Pro boxes, anyway.

The PVR market may shrink, but as long as there are things that only a PVR can do, they will still be available. Look at the howls of protest that greeted the revelation that Sky Glass ‘recording’ wasn’t real recording.

And the thing that is still lacking from your Pro box is the ability to record on a box connected to one TV and watch on another TV; I don’t think anything less than that should be dignified with the name ‘multi-room’.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    Thanks for your thoughts Roy.
    Sadly this site is becoming more and more static with only a handful of contributers keeping it going. 
    Think the last new contributer even stated that he never knew this site existed and only found it after being redirected.
    Wonder how long it can soldier on with such minuscule activity. 
    Indefinitely, I’d say; it’s not a high maintenance or high cost thing.

And quiet is good, isn’t it? We never did much discuss TV shows, and low activity shows how few problems are arising:-

And it used to be for a while
    That the river flowed right to my door
    Making me just a little too free
    But now the river doesn't seem to stop here anymore

• jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    Roy said:

Now this is a superb live concert:

:) 
    jimb said:
    Roy said:

Seconded 🎶

• jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    Roy said:
    jimb said:
    Roy said:

Seconded 🎶

🙂
    kodikid said:
    Thanks for your thoughts Roy.
    Sadly this site is becoming more and more static with only a handful of contributors keeping it going. 
    Think the last new contributor even stated that he never knew this site existed and only found it after being redirected.
    Wonder how long it can soldier on with such minuscule activity. 
    @kodikid

See? You wait ages for a new thread, and then three come along at once….
    Nobody does it better.
    kodikid said:
    Nobody does it better.
    Oh thank you, a nice compliment for me!
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭
    Roy said:
    kodikid said:
    Nobody does it better.
    Oh thank you, a nice compliment for me!
    You're So Vain.
    Mornington Crescent 😛
    I don't know that one.  :/
    You sing it and I'll play along.  :p
    Here you are.....
    Ah yes. Like the first morning.

How did you attach the file? It won't accept mine. :'(
    ISIHAC
    jonesh said:
    Ah yes. Like the first morning.

How did you attach the file? It won't accept mine. :'(
    ISIHAC
    Made the audio file, which Vanilla indeed won’t accept. (Nor will it accept a video file). Changed the file name to end in .pdf, not .m4a

It opens in Firefox on my Windows 10 laptop, which is not fooled by the .pdf, but thinks it is a .mp4 MPEG-4 video, and offers to open it in Films & TV, which, once accepted, plays it.

Safari on this iPad takes the file at its word, and tries to open it as a .pdf, and fails.

Other browsers/platforms may behave differently 😛
    edited 17 February 2022, 10:17PM
    Thanks @Roy.
    I need a bit more practice before I post my version.  :)
    All together now:
    edited 20 February 2022, 12:29PM
    And the satic descends  once again on the youview "community "
    edited 20 February 2022, 12:41PM
    kodikid said:
    And the satic descends  once again on the youview "community "
    Yes @kodikid

Just gotta hate that dirty electricity 😢
    At least it's current  
    And not constantly negative.