Netflix App Crashes

Has anyone experienced repeated Netflix app crashes, or know what to do about it? About 2 minutes into any show/movie, mine crashes and returns me to the YouView app screen. It means it’s unwatchable. It also crashes on hitting Get Help in the Netflix menu. Netflix customer services have been useless, and my box is not allowing any app updates in Settings -> Software Information. Any advice?

Comments

• kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
    Yes
    Invest in a cheap back up, firestick and roku devices start from around £20 and for that you also get YouTube Disney and Apple tv, along with loads more apps many free.
    Personally rarely use my youview for apps as it's horses for courses. 
    Ignore this if you disagree. Oh wait I just remembered I don't give a 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,376 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 February 2022, 3:27PM
    Has anyone experienced repeated Netflix app crashes, or know what to do about it? About 2 minutes into any show/movie, mine crashes and returns me to the YouView app screen. It means it’s unwatchable. It also crashes on hitting Get Help in the Netflix menu. Netflix customer services have been useless, and my box is not allowing any app updates in Settings -> Software Information. Any advice?
    Greetings @MiracleIan, and welcome to the Community!

In the first place, while not recording nor about to, hold down the On/Standby button on the box for just over eight seconds until it soft reboots.

See if this fixes it.

If you still have the problem after that:-

What box model have you got, and what happens exactly when your Netflix crashes? Any error message?

Can you get other players OK?

Who is your ISP, and is the box on subscription?

Depending on the answers, we may be able to offer you a more drastic reset, though still preserving any recordings you may have.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 607 ✭✭
    kodikid said:
    Yes
    Invest in a cheap back up, firestick and roku devices start from around £20 and for that you also get YouTube Disney and Apple tv, along with loads more apps many free.
    Personally rarely use my youview for apps as it's horses for courses. 
    I also in the last 11 months or so now use Youview a little less for the apps.
    I love my 2 Amazon Firesticks. The 2020 HD version that I got in March last year and the 2021 HD version that I got a few months ago.
    I still love Youview and at times use it to record TV shows.
    @kodikid @Darren

I know where you are coming from, but if the OP wants Netflix back working on his YouView box, and there’s no reason he shouldn’t get Netflix back working on his YouView box, then I think that - at least at first - we should concentrate on getting Netflix back working on his YouView box, don’t you?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 21 February 2022, 1:14PM
    Sorry Royster got to disagree

At the moment the op cannot watch Netflix. Anyone who has contacted Netflix alleged CS will know they are usually clueless in their own product and probably wouldn't know what a youview box was.
    My obviously badly made point especially with half term upon us was even if you fix it this time going forward there is a inexpensive vastly superior alternative that you can always fall back on.
    As for his/her current situation I can vouch this has happened to me in the past and if quick unplug from the mains doesn't solve it then usually the next day it's often working perfectly. 
    Fingers crossed that he/she now finds it streaming again. 
  • Hi Roy,
    Thank you. Unfortunately, despite doing the soft reboot you described, my Netflix app still crashes.

Here are the answers to your questions:

My box is a TalkTalk Huawei DN372T (interestingly, Netflix have never asked me that!).

When the app crashes, which it does after running for about 2 mins, there is no error message. The screen just goes blank for a second, then returns to the YouView app homescreen, i.e. the menu, with the other on-demand app logos.

The other players seem to work OK. I don’t have a subscription for Amazon Prime, Now TV, or BritBox, so can’t test them fully., but seem fine. BBC iPlayer, All 4 and My5 definitely work.

My ISP is Hyperiotic. The box was supplied by TalkTalk, but I no longer have a subscription with them and the box is now mine.

I look forward to hearing what you suggest regarding a “more drastic reset”.
    Thanks, again.
    edited 21 February 2022, 11:56PM
    Hi @MiracleIan

The more drastic resets are here:-
    https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode/

There’s no universal problem with Netflix on YouView as far as I can tell, so I’m working on the hypothesis that the software has got itself screwed up on your box, and you need to refresh it, as below.

And I’m presuming that if you have any other way to get Netflix - smart TV, smart stick, tablet, mobile phone or computer - that these don’t crash after two minutes, so it’s not something weird with your router.

(Though having said that, it might not be a bad idea to power cycle your router, and any PowerLine Adaptors or Ethernet switches you might be using in the connection from router to YouView box, and seeing if that brings any benefit).

But if still no go, try one or more Maintenance Modes as per the link above.

In the first instance, go for Option 2, which will preserve your recordings, though you will need to retune afterwards, and also recreate any non-standard Settings values that you may have made, so make a note of those before starting the MM.

Make sure you use the instructions for the DN372T specifically, as the procedure varies slightly from model to model.

If Netflix still crashes, you could try Option 4 which is like Option 2, but fetches the software from YouView’s servers, and not from the backup copy on the DN372T, just in case that has got corrupted.

The most thorough-going Option is 5, which is the same as the Factory Reset in Settings, and which cleans everything off, including your recordings, to get the box back to a ‘just delivered’ state, albeit with the latest YouView software release. So only to be used in extremis, or if you don’t have any recordings you care about and want to preserve.

Good luck!
  • MiracleIanMiracleIan Member Posts: 4
    Hi Roy,

Thank you. That all sounds useful. I’ll work through each of the options.
    I do, indeed, have Netflix on other devices and it plays OK, so it’s just the YouView ‘version’. However, I really don’t want to watch on my phone or even tablet, when I have a 4-inch TV.

On a non-related note, I just want to throw this out, rather than expecting you to answer… Why on earth is Russia Today (RT) still allowed to broadcast its propaganda on FreeView/YouView?

Ian
    Hi Roy,

Thank you. That all sounds useful. I’ll work through each of the options.
    I do, indeed, have Netflix on other devices and it plays OK, so it’s just the YouView ‘version’. However, I really don’t want to watch on my phone or even tablet, when I have a 4-inch TV.

On a non-related note, I just want to throw this out, rather than expecting you to answer… Why on earth is Russia Today (RT) still allowed to broadcast its propaganda on FreeView/YouView?

Ian
    @MiracleIan

Ah, I wasn’t suggesting you should have to watch Netflix on anything else, especially when you have a big 4-inch TV 😛.

I was thinking more that if you got this crashing problem on other devices there, we might need to focus more on your router, and your environment.

So it’s useful to know this is not the case.
    Regarding Russia Today, it seems that Freeview implies also free speech.

But the boys in the doughnut just down the road glean a lot from the choice of porkies that the Russians are telling.
    edited 24 February 2022, 9:09AM
    🪂😮‍💨💣

• MiracleIanMiracleIan Member Posts: 4
    edited 27 February 2022, 9:30PM
    Hi Roy. Going to into Maintenance Mode and doing a factory reset (without deleting recordings) finally seems to have fixed my problem. Easy, really! Thank you for your help.