ITV to take on Netflix, Amazon and Disney+ with new streaming service

jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
"ITV is to launch a new streaming service combining ad-funded and subscription TV shows and films as it aims to become a “national champion” in the battle for British viewers with US streaming giants including Netflix, Amazon and Disney+..."

"ITVX will become its new streaming master brand, with the existing free ITV Hub and paid-for, ad-free ITV Hub+ brands to be scrapped..." 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/mar/03/itv-to-take-on-netflix-amazon-and-disney-with-new-streaming-service

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,376 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2022, 12:09AM
    @jimb

I think my most interesting takeaway from that story was :-

ITV said that it currently has 1.2m subscribers to ITV Hub+ and Britbox UK, which the BBC is pulling out of as part of the launch of ITVX

I don’t think the BBC being involved with this paid service ever sat well with licence payers, so this is a good thing, I reckon.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭
    Yeah agree Roy about the bbc pulling out of Britbox - Hidden away in the main article. I guess that shows the confidence in BritBox has gone. 

If itv wants to stay relevant they really at the very least need to present their catch up programs in HD. 
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭
    "The broadcaster’s share price tumbled more than 14% after the announcement on Thursday morning, making it the second-biggest faller on the FTSE after Russian mining firm Polymetal, as investors balked at yet another costly investment and rebrand to try and develop a viable streaming service to support its traditional linear TV operations."

So a change of name and the withdrawal of BBC Commercial from Britbox will make ITV a national powerhouse? OK.... Seen it before and it never made any previous difference, (rhetorical question) so why do ITV think it will be any different now? Which it probably won't.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • AshAsh Member Posts: 279 ✭✭
    I must say when I heard about this earlier today I was initially surprised, but then shortly afterwards I heard the BBC commercial ( otherwise known as BBC studios) was withdrawing from Britbox UK . At which point it made a bit more sense. I did think that BBC involvement in the Britbox UK was always a bit odd, given the situation with the TV licence.

I've read a couple of articles on ITV X and if I've understood the articles correctly, it looks as if ITV X is going to replace ITV Hub. If this is the case ITV X is probably going to end up on all Freeview play, Freesat and possibly youview devices (I say, possibly because the funding agreement for youview that has just been reached only last until 2024 , so it's possible ITV might not bother to put ITV X on youview). The fact that it's going to end up on the U.K.'s current generation hybrid TV platforms means that the service will have somewhat more reach than people think that unlike some of ITV's previous commercial ventures. It might not be complete commercial suicide , at least in the short to medium term anyway. As Britbox probably end up being available on said platforms via ITV X as the pay option for ITV X is said to include Britbox

https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/itv-launches-new-streaming-service-itvx

• kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
    ITV to take on Netflix Amazon and Disney 
    🤣
    Ignore this if you disagree. Oh wait I just remembered I don't give a 
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 607 ✭✭
    ITV may have the money but they dont have the same amount of money as the likes of Netflix, Amazon or Disney +.
    O have never been interested on getting Britbox. 
    I can see why the BBC may be wanting to pull out of Britbox.
    Will see if this new ITV service will be any good when it replaces the ITV Hub later in the year.
    Remember the failed OnDigital(ITV Digital). So will wait and see if the new ITV service will be only good and try and take on the others.
    The now im happy having Netflix, Prime, Disney + and Now(Now TV) Big Entertainment plus HD Boost via BT but im near the end of my BT TV contract for Now(Now TV) with BT and thinking of cancelling and going direct with Now(Now TV) for the same Now(Now TV) package that I currently have with BT.
  • AshAsh Member Posts: 279 ✭✭
    Darren said:

The now im happy having Netflix, Prime, Disney + and Now(Now TV) Big Entertainment plus HD Boost via BT but im near the end of my BT TV contract for Now(Now TV) with BT and thinking of cancelling and going direct with Now(Now TV) for the same Now(Now TV) package that I currently have with BT.
    Hi @Darren
    BT would hate that I'm telling this but if you know what you're doing, you can get now (now TV) far cheaper by getting it directly from now themselves, then you could ever get from BT. If you're clever you're virtually never pay full price  ;)

The only downside is that you won't be able to record the linear channels as you would be able to at the moment using your BT youview box if you're into your sports from time to time. Now will also send you offers the sports via email which you can take advantage of something which you wouldn't be able to do when you're signed up through BT
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,376 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2022, 12:04PM
    @Darren

Pros of Now via BT TV:-
    You get the live Sky channels that Now carry via your YouView box, and you can record them, besides having the download option where applicable.
    You get telephone support for Now from BT.
    If you don’t have Boost, you can watch Now on two devices at once (though it’s a bit convoluted to achieve).
    You can still use the Now app on other devices with your BT Now account.
    You make a single payment to BT for it all.

Cons of Now via BT TV:-
    You have to have BT as your ISP.
    You have to subscribe to BT TV, and there is a minimum contract term.
    There are no subtitles on Now on YouView boxes.
    You pay the sticker price, and can’t get retention deals.
    You can dip in and out of all the other memberships, but you can’t dip in and out of Entertainment.

Cons of Now direct:-
    You only get the live Sky channels that Now carry via the Now app, and you can’t record them. You can often download them though, albeit only for as long as they are available online.
    You only get Chat and email support for Now from Now direct.
    If you don’t have Boost, you can only watch Now on one device at a time.
    You make multiple payments to Now, one per membership, via a Continuous Payment Authority from a debit or credit card,

Pros of Now direct:-
    You can use any ISP, with no additional subscription to them.
    There is no contract, it goes purely month to month.
    You don’t have to always pay the sticker price, you can get retention deals after the first month.
    You can get special offers from Now.
    You can dip in and out of all the memberships, including Entertainment.

Other considerations are, I think, the same.

With Now direct, you get the retention deals automatically when you start to Cancel a membership; you don’t have to dicker with a human. If you like the deal, you take it, exit the cancellation, and save money from the next month onwards. When the deal is about to expire, just start the cancellation again, see what you get.

My Boost was going from £2 back to £5 in a couple of weeks, so I started the Cancel, and now I have another 3 months at £2. And I have Entertainment at £3 a month off, and Cinema at £5 a month off.

So that is £11 a month that BT and Now would be trousering instead of me, off the £24.98 sticker price, if I was subscribed via BT TV instead of direct with Now.

And for those with Sport, you could get £13 a month off that membership right now, with a current Now special offer that I don’t think BT TV Now subscribers would ever see,

And even though these retention deals and offers come with a duration, often of three months, you are not tied to that; you can still leave the deal before any monthly renewal date. The deals just tie Now to offering that price for that length of time.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 4 March 2022, 12:23PM
    Darren at the moment I pay £4 each for entertainment and movies, £2 for boost and £20 for sky sports. I never pay the full now price.
    You will literally save hundreds by ditching BT tv.
    The money saved will buy you a new pro box.
    It will be interesting to see if you do decide to leave if BT give you a good deal to keep your custom. 
    Speaking from experience this is certainly the case with BT broadband and mobile. 

Re itvx..
    Seems like history is repeating itself as itv have just won the contract to show EFL highlights (one of the main reasons on digital failed) .
    This new deal also includes the Carabao cup which is now officially a major trophy. 

If itv are serious about being a major contender in the streaming market they should look at buying BT sports. 
    That would definitely be worth buying into. 
    edited 4 March 2022, 1:58PM
    Thanks @Roy, @Ash and @kodikid for your info. 
    I do like watching sport but not enough to be paying for it.
    Will have a think about it. My BT TV contact for Now(Now TV) will end come the BT price rises at the end of this month.
    So will think about my options for TV then. Yes would not get to record the Now channels but 80% of stuff is on catch up via now. Would keep boost if I went direct with Now for like HD & my sister also uses Now with my account.
    ITV cant afford to fully buy BT Sport.
    ITV will have to put some good movies on there streaming service as well as some US/Canadian dramas and other British stuff to take on the likes of Netflix, Prime and Disney +.
    To be honest I can't see myself subscribing to now movies or entertainment when my current deal ends. 
    All the good stuff and recent movies (West Side story_ the Courier) are on Disney or Prime. 

• joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2022, 7:34PM

ITV to take on Netflix, Amazon and Disney+ with new streaming service is the newspaper headline. It's a journalist's interpretation of ITV's ambition for ITVX.

The ambition is more modest in the ITV announcement for ITVX. It makes no mention of the service being a rival to Netflix, Amazon and Disney+.

https://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/introducing-itvx

In The Guardian piece referred to by @jimb, Carolyn McCall, the chief executive at ITV, is quoted as saying: “Our ambitions in the streaming world are not world domination. It is about being a national champion. It is compelling and our expectations of subscriber numbers have been modelled in a very realistic way.”

Hardly a rival to Netflix, Amazon and Disney+. 
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭
    ITV DON'T want to take on The big American streamers. Thats just a BS headline from the editor who read the journalists piece. They want to become a major UK streamer.

Point of note - The BBC pulled out of Britbox because ITV made them an offer for their shares which allegedly they couldn't refuse. In other words, they bought them out. 

@Darren I concur with the advice given to you about going with NOW TV (Now) directly. You'll save bundles. Currently I've had email offers of Sky Sports at £20 for 6 months (declined) and Sky Cinema at £2 for 2 months (thinking about it) and Boost for a 7 day free trial (a deffo if i take Movies). I also get The Radio times regularly at £1 for 12 issues delivered through the post. That offers on the Radio Times website for all to see. Good hunting.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 4 March 2022, 10:10PM
    @Visionman I will think about cancelling Now with BT TV at the end of this month and get TV direct from them. To try and save some money.
    Not to bothered about getting Sky Sports as dont have it the now but will keep Entertainment, Movies and HD Boost.
    ITV could though time maybe become a major UK player if they have good dramas and a few movies on there streaming service.