New TalkTalk TV products powered by YouView soon

jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

A comment from TalkTalk:

"We are delighted to recommit to YouView as it’s a brilliant way to access a whole world of content easily, live and on demand. We look forward to announcing new TalkTalk TV products powered by YouView soon."

Surely this is the most significant news that there has been for a long time?

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/03/isps-bt-and-talktalk-sign-uk-tv-deal-to-keep-youview-until-2024.html

Comments

• kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 1,046 ✭✭
    Hmmm 
    Wonder if there working on a new youview PVR.
    Personally think their current Netgem and non recording youview box look pretty feeble compared to what others are offering. 
    Deacon Blue hit from October 88
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭
    jimb said:

A comment from TalkTalk:

"We are delighted to recommit to YouView as it’s a brilliant way to access a whole world of content easily, live and on demand. We look forward to announcing new TalkTalk TV products powered by YouView soon."

Surely this is the most significant news that there has been for a long time?

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/03/isps-bt-and-talktalk-sign-uk-tv-deal-to-keep-youview-until-2024.html

Indeed. Thats good news. Technicolor were chosen as the next box manufacturer but, for some reason, that was put on hold so I don't know if thats still the case.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 March 2022, 6:54PM
    (In another thread)
    I fear the days of PVRs are coming to an end...
    and @Roy said:
    ...there is no doubt that PVRs are becoming decidedly niche.

Currently TalkTalk are only offering boxes that do not record, so maybe that will be their policy for the future.

It's extremely unlikely that YouView will have made a new, different UI for TalkTalk.

So the "new TalkTalk TV products powered by YouView" will probably feature something which is basically the same as a BT Pro unit but in a different box (with one rounded corner? ;)) and which doesn't record (plus a new remote control?)

(If so this might keep BT happy as their box could be seen as superior to this new TalkTalk box.)
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭
    @jimb

You don’t think these ‘products’ might be content delivery services rather than hardware?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    Roy said:
    @jimb

You don’t think these ‘products’ might be content delivery services rather than hardware?

Please explain Roy. 
    jimb said:
    Roy said:
    @jimb

Please explain Roy. 
    e.g. like BT serving up Now as channels.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    Roy said:
    jimb said:
    Roy said:
    @jimb

Please explain Roy. 
    Ah yes - possibly.
    But it would be a bit weird to release new 'products' that were not available on their top of the range package. 
    edited 6 March 2022, 4:53PM
    jimb said:
    Roy said:
    jimb said:
    Roy said:
    @jimb

Please explain Roy. 
    Ah yes - possibly.
    But it would be a bit weird to release new 'products' that were not available on their top of the range package. 
    Then you would have to envisage new YouView products that didn’t topple the NetGem off its perch. So 1 tuner, no HDD… I’ve lost interest already 😢

Roy said:
    Then you would have to envisage new YouView products that didn’t topple the NetGem off its perch. So 1 tuner, no HDD… I’ve lost interest already 😢

OK, but a new box with 1 tuner, no HDD, Wi-Fi, 4K HDR, Dolby Atmos, Bluetooth remote and the YouView UI would interest me. 

I've only just realised that the Netgem box is only available to Future Fibre customers - that means FTTP.
    So all of TalkTalk's other TV customers are struggling on with the dreadful Huawei boxes which are about 10 years old.
    (It would be good to have some input from someone who's well-informed about TalkTalk - @Stevef_fr8ys perhaps?)

If TalkTalk intend to provide a decent TV service and not just be a broadband provider (and the appointment of Susie Buckridge suggests that they do) then surely they need a new box?
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 662 ✭✭
    Hey @jimb, you leave the 372T out of this. Having the old UI, makes this box far quicker than the Humax boxes with the new interface!

My view of netgem was given under another thread as

when people ask about the Netgem box on the TT Forum, I describe it as a smart stick (Prime/Roku) in box form with live TV and limited recording capability. And with deference to @Roy have ff and rewind capability. 

Netgem has no relation to YouView so I am waiting for news too.

edited 6 March 2022, 10:51PM
    jimb said:
    Roy said:

OK, but a new box with 1 tuner, no HDD, Wi-Fi, 4K HDR, Dolby Atmos, Bluetooth remote and the YouView UI would interest me. 

I've only just realised that the Netgem box is only available to Future Fibre customers - that means FTTP.
    So all of TalkTalk's other TV customers are struggling on with the dreadful Huawei boxes which are about 10 years old.
    (It would be good to have some input from someone who's well-informed about TalkTalk - @Stevef_fr8ys perhaps?)

If TalkTalk intend to provide a decent TV service and not just be a broadband provider (and the appointment of Susie Buckridge suggests that they do) then surely they need a new box?
    @jimb

Ah, yes, the link in the other thread that takes you to the TalkTalk offerings does show that it’s NetGem only with the top tier of broadband, and still YouView for everyone else.

So the NetGem sets a bar that any new YouView hardware would have to limbo under.

Always assuming that Susie hasn’t decided that Netgem’s reign at the top is to be only short-lived 😛
  • TIME4TVTIME4TV Member Posts: 27
    Speaking with TalkTalk today they have said the recordable boxes will be no longer with TalkTalk, existing customers can still use them but updates for the like of ITV Hub will not be updated as much.  The box technically I was told today discontinued but you can access it for now but updates for the players may be slow.      I said this is disappointing and they went on about the 4k Netgem box which I feel is inferior to YouView as a very basic streaming box with services with only a basic PVR with having to use sticks and only record one show at a time and if you are recording can't watch something else.   What is the future for YouView with TalkTalk or have YouView and TalkTalk taken the last funding from ITV and others and will run a poor service until the end in 2024.  What is going on YouView? 
    When speaking with TalkTalk today about new products coming soon, they said the future no new products coming soon and the manager said the YouView service is finished and we are doing Netgetm.   He said between now and 2024 we are slowly ending things with YouView.
    edited 26 May 2022, 8:42AM
    TIME4TV said:
    When speaking with TalkTalk today about new products coming soon, they said the future no new products coming soon and the manager said the YouView service is finished and we are doing Netgetm.   He said between now and 2024 we are slowly ending things with YouView.
    @TIME4TV

The quote that @jimb refers to, “We look forward to announcing new TalkTalk TV products powered by YouView soon”, was on the record, and attributable.

May I ask for the same burden of verification of what you report above? 
    With some idea of the context in which the statements were made?

Not disputing, just fact-checking, you understand.
    edited 26 May 2022, 11:45AM
     In answer to Roy I spoke yesterday to the TalkTalk CEO office who said no new products, we no longer offer recordable TV, people can keep existing box but new boxes not being issued as recordable is no longer with talk talk.  He then went on about 4k Netgem.  He said if new products coming soon the CEO team would have notes on system and it shows recordable youview TalkTalk has been discontinued.   TalkTalk said we will allow existing users to use boxes until end of life 2024.  We have no plans for new youview products, we do the now TV or 4k netgem and a basic none recordable youview but limited availability of these boxes as we no longer have any manufacturing for more stock. I was told yesterday. 
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭
    Curious - Why were you talking to TalkTalks CEO?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    TIME4TV said:
     TalkTalk said we will allow existing users to use boxes until end of life 2024.
    That is such nonsense that it makes me think that the entire post is a fantasy. 
    And TalkTalk staff would not give out details of future plans UNLESS there has been an official notification due to commercial sensitivities.

The current stated position is that Netgem boxes will be issued to new subscribers, non recordable YouView boxes will be issued in place of faulty recordable YouView boxes, plus we know there has been a sort of statement on future boxes.

It's correct the current stock of YouView boxes will be the last to be made by that manufacturer, but as to the future, TalkTalk will naturally be tight lipped.

I think there may be assumptions being made as to the future here, and the ending of TalkTalk current committment to YouView.

As long as BT continue to support the product, admittedly dropping / hiding the name, YouView will continue.
    Visionman said:
    Curious - Why were you talking to TalkTalks CEO?
    @Visionman

He said the CEO’s office. Could have been the desk, or the chair, or a filing cabinet maybe. Or even a wall or a window….
    I spoke to a member of the CEOs office, not a desk or a chair or any other object but a person and he said "I have checked with several departments and no one is aware of any new products coming soon, the post was not written by TalkTalk in the media and not officially by us,  we no longer offer a recordable YouView box and as such this service is not classed as discontinued TalkTalk,  we do offer a netgem 4k, existing users of YouView Huawei - TalkTalk can continue until 2024"  this is all they could say.    Why do people on here have to come back with daft nonsensical messages - is it a game you all play.  I am new to this forum and just trying to find out if the service YouView is not getting any updates and is coming to end of life in the next 1 to 2  years, is it worth getting a Manhattan Freeview Box or a Humax Freeview android box.
    There are some here who do have an inside track on issues with the various companies involved but are bound by NDAs so cannot make absolute statements, but may know more than the CEO representative you spoke to, so are answering with this in mind, and in a way not to breach their contracts.

What makes you think that what you were told is the absolute truth?

No-one here is saying we know the absolute truth, but you seem to be saying you are right and everyone else is wrong.

As to your choice of box, that is for you to decide. As this is a YouView forum, most here will be in favour of YouView. Some will or may have experience of the other boxes, indeed if you do a search here, both the Manhatten and Humax Android boxes have been discussed in depth.

For more information you may be best searching out their equivalent dedicated forums, to this one, for their thoughts and issues.
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stevef_fr8ys said:
    There are some here who do have an inside track on issues with the various companies involved but are bound by NDAs so cannot make absolute statements, but may know more than the CEO representative you spoke to, so are answering with this in mind, and in a way not to breach their contracts.

:wink:

What waffle
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭

🧇

TIME4TV said:
    What waffle
    Please elucidate.
    TIME4TV said:
    What waffle
    Please elucidate.
    DNFTT!
    edited 2 June 2022, 12:28AM
    TalkTalk CEO senior advisor Said no new products due with youview as they purchased Origin Broadband out of administration and took control of their stock of Nergem 4k boxes cheaply as the company origin was in debt. Origin still trade under same name but owned by TalkTalk who say YouView is for existing customers but new customers take the netgem service.  I feel may be poor box, being sent one in a few days but lack of full pvr service is a let down.