Com 7 switchoff

2»

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 July 2022, 4:27PM
    redchiz said:
    Visionman said:

OFCOM are merely an extension of the Government and they sold off Freeview's spectrum because they wanted the cash, which at the time was worth a small fortune. Its the internet where it will all end up.
    Yeah, I'm aware of all that, I was just trying to offer a brief explanation to those who were crying "unfair" which I found an odd reaction. Just my personal view. 
    ‘Unfair’ was perhaps not quite the word I would have chosen, but I wanted to echo @John L’s sentiment here. Unforgiving, perhaps, or uncompromising?
    And I was more to do with the way Freeview is set up, for which the broadcasters are also to blame.

And despite @Visionman’s protestations that people aren’t interested in HD, I wonder how many people sticking to terrestrial in SD have HD on their streaming services?

Because, you will note, the streaming services make it easy, usually seamless, to watch in HD or even UHD where available. And not have to jump a hundred channels up to watch in HD, only to have to jump a hundred channels back because the next programme is only available in SD.

That’s the ongoing ‘unfair’ of Freeview, or at least inconvenience, rather than odd channels popping on and off the service from time to time.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 1 July 2022, 4:39PM
    Visionman said:
    Hi @Roy, and no, I can't answer any of your questions apart from one - Why did it fail? I've already answered that. It's because the majority of people aren't bothered about HD. They just want to watch TV. Though recent OFCOM stats suggest SD/HD viewing is now 50/50 which is a big increase over what it was.
    Hi @Visionman

So your claim can’t be publically verified in any way - that’s a shame.

Must have been a secret trial you participated in, where you are still under an NDA then.

But if it was for anything like I conjectured, it could only fail for technical reasons, not because people weren’t interested.

Unless it required a complicated and expensive box that they found people weren’t prepared to pay for, and so never saw the light of day?

In which case, step forward the YouView box, which we know has all the hardware and all the smarts required, if they could just be repurposed a little.

And watch that 50/50 turn into 90/10!
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Rob PRob P Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
    Roy said:

BBC NEWS HD, yes, but as for BBC Four HD, this has just appeared on 106 for the first time since we moved here, albeit it’s just a placeholder at the moment. 

So I’m not sure why iVe got it and you’ve lost it, unless they gave me yours 😛
    They've given it to me too (Anglia region)
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,282 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 July 2022, 3:41AM
    Roy said:
    But if it was for anything like I conjectured, it could only fail for technical reasons, not because people weren’t interested.

What complete and utter bull ****. You simply don't like it because you didn't know about it. Whatever....
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    Visionman said:
    Roy said:

What complete and utter bull ****. You simply don't like it because you didn't know about it. Whatever....
    @Visionman

I’m sure there are lots of things I don’t know about. 

What I don’t like are bald assertions going counter to something I said which are provided without the slightest shred of supporting evidence.

I mean, who would?
    edited 2 July 2022, 8:12AM
    Rob P said:
    Roy said:

BBC NEWS HD, yes, but as for BBC Four HD, this has just appeared on 106 for the first time since we moved here, albeit it’s just a placeholder at the moment. 

So I’m not sure why iVe got it and you’ve lost it, unless they gave me yours 😛
    They've given it to me too (Anglia region)
    The BBC services affected by the multiplex closure are BBC Four HD, CBeebies HD and BBC News HD, which are all currently carried on the COM7 multiplex. Provision has been made for BBC Four HD and CBeebies HD to move into available capacity that has been newly identified on the PSB3 multiplex which the BBC operates.

The above sentence in bold is shown when I Google (exactly) ‘BBC 4 HD changed multiplex’, but does not appear in the linked article
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/work-warning/news/waw-com7
    (rather like one of those emailed copies of postings that YouView send out which differ from what you then see in the Community, which means that the poster has refined what they initially said, for whatever reason, but the original text lives on somewhere 😛)

But no doubt this is what has happened for us - we couldn’t get the multiplex COM7, but we can get the multiplex PSB3.

It seems unlikely @kodikid would not have PSB3, though, and yet had COM7.

It also seems extraordinarily wasteful, if channels are now in short supply that the BBC are keeping on CBeebies HD and BBC Four HD as two separate channels, when they Box and Cox, and losing BBC News HD.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,282 ✭✭✭
    Roy said:
    Visionman said:
    Roy said:

@Visionman

What I don’t like are bald assertions going counter to something I said which are provided without the slightest shred of supporting evidence.

I mean, who would?

Thats fair enough, actually. I can see where your coming from now. Sorry for misunderstanding.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    Visionman said:
    Roy said:
    Visionman said:
    Roy said:

@Visionman

I mean, who would?

Thats fair enough, actually. I can see where your coming from now. Sorry for misunderstanding.
       🤣
    Oh wait