BT TV Help & Assistance Please?

2»

Comments

• BillyMBillyM Member Posts: 15
    sorry, doesn't include Netflix.
    This is the link to check and configure a package to price up: https://www.bt.com/tv/add
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭
    BillyM said:
    The BT HD add-on (which includes Now Boost) is £6 for new customers. The Big Sport package also includes Netflix basic and the 2 Eurosport channels.
    You're right about Eurosport, but not about Netflix. 
    I have just prepared a quote for myself, the HD add on is coming in at £6 a month. Total cost for Fibre 100 plus PAYG calls (£35.99) plus Big Sport with HD (£47) = £82.99. Plus £39.99 set up fee. Erm, no thanks.
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 650 ✭✭
    Just looked on the BT site and it says HD/4k add on £6. 
    BT dont seem to just be offering the £5 HD boost.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 1,074 ✭✭
    redchiz said:
    I have just prepared a quote for myself, the HD add on is coming in at £6 a month. Total cost for Fibre 100 plus PAYG calls (£35.99) plus Big Sport with HD (£47) = £82.99. Plus £39.99 set up fee. Erm, no thanks.
    £40 set up....definitely having a giraffe. 

The hub literally fits through your letter box...

plug it in wait for the light show before displaying blue then bingo..

Lots of reconnecting devices  awaits.

So what exactly does one get for the £40 set up (literally) fee?
    Deacon Blue hit from October 88
    edited 14 July 2022, 1:00PM
    kodikid said:
    redchiz said:
    £40 set up....definitely having a giraffe. 

The hub literally fits through your letter box...

plug it in wait for the light show before displaying blue then bingo..

So what exactly does one get for the £40 set up (literally) fee?
    Honestly? No idea. A "delivery charge" is one thing, but this? 

EDIT: Hold that, I've just been back to check.

edited 14 July 2022, 8:45PM
    The one off activation fee seems a little on the dear side.
    BTs move away from an 18 months contract to a 24 month contract will also put some people off.
    Come the end of February next year I will be looking at all my options. As my BT FTTC broadband will be up for renewal. 
    If I don't get a similar deal with BT as last time will look elsewhere. 
    Have had a brief look at Sky Broadband and Vodafone Broadband. As I know some people that have one or the other but I will try and get a deal with BT first for FTTC.
    Dont want the BT Halo 3 + package. Plus the cost a month for that is a no go for me.
    I going to have to think about how to try and make some more savings over the next year if the cost of living crisis dont get any better.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,591 ✭✭✭
    Darren said:
    BT no long do 18 month contracts. They changed to only offering a 24 month contracts at lest 2 years ago.
    @Darren

Funny how I’ve just renewed for another 18 months with them, then, exactly 18 months after we moved here. FTTP Broadband, renewing from 500 Mbps to 900 Mbps for just £4 a month extra.

Or maybe not…..

How long is my contract?

All of our contracts vary in length. Most of our contracts are 24 months, but we do have some that are 18. Our BT Mobile contracts are mainly 12 months for SIM Only and 24 months for handset plans.

https://www.bt.com/help/account-and-billing/information-about-your-bt-contract

‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    kodikid said:

Not on my BT Hub 2 it doesn’t, with its SSID of NETGEAR08 and the same password that the supplanted Nighthawk had 😛
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    Roy said:
    Darren said:
    BT no long do 18 month contracts. They changed to only offering a 24 month contracts at lest 2 years ago.
    @Darren

Funny how I’ve just renewed for another 18 months with them, then, exactly 18 months after we moved here. FTTP Broadband, renewing from 500 Mbps to 900 Mbps for just £4 a month extra.

Or maybe not…..

How long is my contract?

All of our contracts vary in length. Most of our contracts are 24 months, but we do have some that are 18. Our BT Mobile contracts are mainly 12 months for SIM Only and 24 months for handset plans.

https://www.bt.com/help/account-and-billing/information-about-your-bt-contract

I guess they are offering renewal contracts for shorter terms than new customers are being offered. May I ask how much that will be? 

Also, as someone still presently on FTTC, what are the real benefits of 500, or 900Mbps as opposed to, say, 150? Apart from the obvious download stuff, which in reality is immaterial to a domestic user. 
    edited 15 July 2022, 1:19AM
    It's bizarre, but fills me with a warm smug felling 

Where I live BT have yet to install fibre so standard broadband it is.

We can however get fast fibre Virgin. 

Denise next door has the Gig 1 package,  Virgins finest. 

Yet

In our house Netflix never buffers and I can strem perfectly all over the house and in the garden.

Although in all fairness I do have my hub 2 linked up to 2 wifi discs from ebay. 

She has to have boosters to get a signal anywhere other then where the hub is placed.

And the Internet frequently goes down, usually for hours on end..ours has never crashed, works perfectly 24/7

The only thing in her favour is the ability to access 4k tv which sadly to us is a distant dream. 

One alleged  Virgin "engineer " even told her as she'd repainted the hall the paint was effecting her signal. 

Point being our broadband is more reliable and stable.

Yet she's probably paying three times more then what we pay for Broadband 

Speed isn't everything. 
    edited 15 July 2022, 6:07AM
    @kodikid I could not go back to having non FTTC. As I now have at lest 14 or 15 devices in the house that use wi-fi.
    Ok not all off then are used at once but some are.
    Also need a good speed for HD streaming. As in the last 2 or 3 years I have been using streaming services payed for as well as some of the free ones a bit more.
    I also stream music using Spotify and at times use my Echos in the house to listen to the radio.
    redchiz said:

I guess they are offering renewal contracts for shorter terms than new customers are being offered. May I ask how much that will be? 

Also, as someone still presently on FTTC, what are the real benefits of 500, or 900Mbps as opposed to, say, 150? Apart from the obvious download stuff, which in reality is immaterial to a domestic user. 
    @redchiz

You may ask what BT’s published tariff is, about £75 a month for 900 Mbps and calls 😛

As somebody used to pushing multi-GB files back up the pipe, I’m not exactly a domestic user though, so as you say, what is important to me may not be that important to the next person.

Of the current nominal 500 Mbps, I can get about 360 over Ethernet, or WiFi very close to the router, but it drops off toward 70 in our bedroom, which is about as far from the router, centrally positioned in the cupboard under the stairs, as you can get; though the 4K TV in there almost never buffers, I’m getting an extra disc from BT to hopefully raise that a bit. (The current single disc is to max what I get in the study, from whence those multi-GB uploads emerge).

What @kodikid reports, about his tortoise beating the Virgin hare, is very much what we found in Spain; even with very fast FTTR (fibre to the router - none of this ONT nonsense for Telefonica), practically next to the smart TV, we got a lot of buffering, so it would seem that some routers are very much better than others at QoS prioritisation. At least, as they come out of the box; maybe Denise could get her Virgin router optimised for this?
    She's given up on the router as its the hub 4 which is apparently notorious for being feeble. 

As an example when I search for networks I can see BT and Sky from our neighbours but her right next door Virgin hub dosnt seem to exist. 

Virgin have promised to send her out the all new singing and dancing hub 5

so she waits in anticipation. 

The thing I find odd is BT gets savaged on Trust pilot

I've been with them for many years I find them and the equipment excellent. 

Whenever I ring it's always a UK call centre and a prompt response. 

Yes they are relatively expensive but you get what you pay for. 

Just wish they would supply fibre broadband in our neighbourhood. 
    kodikid said:
    She's given up on the router as its the hub 4 which is apparently notorious for being feeble. 

As an example when I search for networks I can see BT and Sky from our neighbours but her right next door Virgin hub dosnt seem to exist. 

@kodikid

Your smugness at being with BT rather than Virgin is matched only by mine being with BT when reading the panoply of woes that users of Now Broadband post on the Now Community.

As you say, with BT you get what you pay for. And you don’t pay much for Now Broadband, and that’s what you get 😛
    @Roy
    Customer community forums tend to be a poor barometer of actual service levels, the last time I looked at the BT ones there were plenty of issues being reported. 

And of course many people take to them just for a good old moan, this beloved community of ours being a case in point.  😉
    Roy said:
    kodikid said:

@kodikid

Your smugness at being with BT rather than Virgin is matched only by mine being with BT when reading the panoply of woes that users of Now Broadband post on the Now Community.

As you say, with BT you get what you pay for. And you don’t pay much for Now Broadband, and that’s what you get 😛
    Isn't the Now router just a rebadged Sky q box?
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 614 ✭✭
    One very good thing about the BT Community forum is the support available both from knowledgeable members and the BT employees there as moderators.
    The mods are truly excellent at resolving problems once they get involved and take over an issue.
    I have to say that is true of the TalkTalk community also.
    kodikid said:
    Roy said:
    kodikid said:

@kodikid

Isn't the Now router just a rebadged Sky q box?
    @kodikid

It was, but Sky routers have moved on a generation.