Automatic software update April 2013

• Announcement
  • Updated 11 months ago
New software for the YouView Humax box is now available for Retail and BT customers. This will be a phased roll out over 2 weeks, so some boxes will receive this software sooner than others. For more information for your BT YouView box please visit: www.bt.com/help/YouView

The software will be available on Talk Talk Huawei YouView boxes shortly afterwards. For more information, please visit: http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/

This software introduces a number of enhancements and new features:
• An enhancement to searching for programmes that are on now and next; Search Suggestions will return results matching the exact search term used.
• Channel Filters in the Guide; Choose from a range of filters in the Guide and apply these to easily get to the type of viewing that interests you.

This software also fixes a number of issues reported by our viewers:
• Subtitles appearing ahead of time during playback of recorded programmes.
• The Fast-forward/Rewind/Skip buttons getting stuck during Live TV and recorded programmes.
• "Sorry that's not working” is displayed when attempting to set a recording through the Guide.
• Audio crackling on Live TV and On Demand programmes.
• A black screen is displayed when exiting the CBeebies Tubes Game by pressing the yellow button.
• Network error or loss of connectivity whilst seeking within an On Demand programme causes the box to become unresponsive.
• Loading a Player from the On Demand section can result in a YVM-105 error message and the Player fails to load.
• Connecting your YouView box to your mobile device fails because no code is displayed.
• A small number of images not appearing in search results.
You can check if you have the latest version by pressing the YouView button on your remote control, navigate to Settings > System Information > Software Versions.

For those boxes that have already received the update you will see the following:
Manufacturer Software: 12.7.0
Component Software: 1.4.10
Platform configuration: 450
ISP Configuration: (varies by ISP)

If your box displays different software versions, please be patient, this is a phased roll out so your box may not have received the update yet.

Tanja

• 244 Posts
  • 22 Likes

Posted 12 months ago

Rick Dekker

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Likes
That's a great update that addresses some of the big issues. Thanks for the hard work much appreciated.

churchwarden

• 414 Posts
  • 122 Likes
Great, Tanja! Really pleased that the skip button fix is included - will make life with the commercial channels SO much better.

Will look forward to getting it, and playing with the other features when it arrives.

Thanks team!

parney

• 66 Posts
  • 2 Likes
NIce work YouView! My wife will be particularly pleased the fast forward button is fixed :)

Roy

• 4023 Posts
  • 441 Likes
Checked manually, found it available, and installed it.

A heavy session on skip and FF revealed only impeccable behaviour. SWMBO will be very happy with that!

I'll uprate YouView as promised.

Keep up the good work - next big thing for me is the ability to filter out all those Now TV films I don't subscribe to, so I can see what I could actually choose to watch....

Cicero

• 324 Posts
  • 27 Likes
Agreed, nice. The guide filters are particularly appreciated.

• 610 Posts
  • 45 Likes
Great. Look forward to trying this out later.

Phoenix

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Likes
Just installing it manually now

Phoenix

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Likes
Just finished installing all seems to be OK

redchiz

• 1162 Posts
  • 194 Likes
All good here too, gave the FF/RW/SKIP buttons a good seeing to and it seems fixed, hurrah! Keep up the good work, many thanks.

Scuttlebroom

• 265 Posts
  • 68 Likes
Thanks Tanja for the head sup on the new software!

Just thought I would let everyone know that when using the filters on the Guide, you do not have to press the blue button to apply the filter, as OK will work too!

All looking good so far, will hopefully see the FW skip resolved next time I watch a recording, probably tomorrow now.

Cheers to all the hard working YouViewers in YouView Towers for making this box better and better!

Key

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Likes
Thank you for fixing the Subtitles and FW/RW/Skip issues. Though, no speed increase to boot-up times, is this still being worked on or is the current speed as good as its going to get?

Ed Slackbladder

• 84 Posts
  • 7 Likes
Not had a chance to try out the update yet - but the wife will be very happy about that skip problem having been fixed - thanks to all involved!

roger

• 25 Posts
  • 5 Likes
I note that the filters provided differ from the picture provided to the press.
As a non BT person I get 8, with Film 4 only available under All.

The press have a picture of an additional 2, Sports and Films, perhaps these will appear later.

http://recombu.com/digital/news/youvi...

damonq2

• 30 Posts
  • 4 Likes
Just done a manual update to the latest version of the software (Humax retail box) and I see with some excitement that, following a complete re-tune, in addition to how many aerial channels I have it now says "Internet channels".

Anaglypta

• 369 Posts
  • 92 Likes
You don't need to retune to see that. Just go into settings TV Signal and Quality and OK on Number of Channels

damonq2

• 30 Posts
  • 4 Likes
Even better. Hadn't spotted that, as I went straight from update to re-tune.

David Drizen

• 169 Posts
  • 27 Likes
Looks like there getting ready for BT sport

sam

• 1157 Posts
  • 76 Likes
I retuned after the update. Before the retune had completed, the box unexpectedly rebooted. When it was up again, I was able to restart the retune and this time it completed. However, I found my broadband connection was down - no internet connection with any device, including laptop connected by ethernet.

After rebooting the router, all was well again. I mention it here because I don't know what triggered this. I wonder if anyone else has seen anything similar.

Gerry

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Likes
For some strange reason my Humax box under "Software Update" and "Software Versions" shows that the Software was last UPDATED on 23 April 2013.
However the box is still showing the old March 10.6.0 software.

David Drizen

• 169 Posts
  • 27 Likes
It will because it checks it at 2am the update did not come out till about 10am

mike fiddler

• 70 Posts
  • 2 Likes
Likewise, mine says it updated today but shows the old version.

Cicero

• 324 Posts
  • 27 Likes
If you select 'Device Management', 'Software Update', 'Get Update', it will load the latest version if you are scheduled for it under the staggered rollout.

tj

• 24 Posts
  • 1 Like
Thanks for all hard work will have a look to see if all works later.

damonq2

• 30 Posts
  • 4 Likes
I also note that port 8080 is now open (could have been as a result of this software update).

Despite other posts talking about port 8081 being open http://community.youview.com/youview/... I've never seen an open port on my box... until now.

Paul B

• 17 Posts
  • 1 Like
Hate to have to report this, but my box stuck on ff last night again. Only once, but if did still happen. Mrs wasn't happy to see the outcome of Broadchurch unfold at high speed. Box has the update.

Paul B

• 17 Posts
  • 1 Like
Hate to have to report this, but my box stuck on ff last night again. Only once, but if did still happen. Mrs wasn't happy to see the outcome of Broadchurch unfold at high speed. Box has the update.

Paul B

• 17 Posts
  • 1 Like

gomez

• 2046 Posts
  • 261 Likes
Not only your FF key sticking as you have posted the same thing thrice in quick succession. Do you have a heavy finger? ;)

Roy

• 3970 Posts
  • 438 Likes
It shows 12.7.0, as in Tanja's picture at the top?

Old Welsh Dragon

• 272 Posts
  • 12 Likes
When I first tried to update the box took about 2 seconds to do some sort of download and then restarted the box says software up to date even though it is still on the old version. Trial Humax box..

Edit..
Could it be something to do with me being with AOL, same as Talk Talk ?

Peter Wells

• 671 Posts
  • 57 Likes
No, just that your box's ID has not be authorised to get the update yet. These usually happen about 3.30 a.m. when the box checks each night. The 2 seconds activity you saw was the box checking to see if an update for your box was available and the message indicates that.

Old Welsh Dragon

• 272 Posts
  • 12 Likes
Sorry for posting this twice..

Box has died after attempting the new software download.
When booting up it only gets as far as the Humax screen and after a few seconds goes to a black screen and becomes unresponsive ..

If I leave it in the black screen it goes to maintenance mode after a while, tried all forms of recovery but nothing happens..

After about five attempts to reset the box to the factory setting it worked but lost all my recordings... And still not got the new software...

Tanja

• 244 Posts
  • 22 Likes
Hi Old Welsh Dragon, we are sorry to hear you are having this issue. Could you please call our Viewer Support team so we can look into this with you?
You can find our contact details here: http://www.youview.com/support/kb/use...

Old Welsh Dragon

• 272 Posts
  • 12 Likes
Thanks for the reply Tanja. The box is up and running now. I had to do a reset in maintenance mode.
I tried all maintenance mode settings to try to bring the box back to life more than once with out success at first. I left the box unplugged from the mains for 10mins or so then done a factory reset lose recordings, and it sorted it.

I will just have to wait for the update to happen..

Technogran

• 149 Posts
  • 37 Likes
Old Welsh Dragon, it does seem to take an age whenever you have to reset the box, I have worried every time that users would think that the box has crashed etc. It does keep rebooting during any of these processes, and it requires a certain amount of patience. (I go and make a cup of tea!)
Do try again, and before you do so, check all connections are firmly in place at the back.
Good luck!

Old Welsh Dragon

• 271 Posts
  • 12 Likes
Thanks, the box has reset but I had to do it through the lose recordings method.
I'll just have to keep trying the software update.
Must say though, I have never had a problem with updates before...

Peter Wells

• 657 Posts
  • 55 Likes
Wait a couple of days, your box ID is likely not in a sequence that has been authorised to download the update as yet. It should update during the 3.30 a.m. check overnight but the tranches of box IDs seem to be added during the day so it is worthwhile doing a quick check in the early evening..

Peter Wells

• 671 Posts
  • 57 Likes
Can you clarify something and amend your main post if necessary.

There is a bit of a contradiction in the post about which box(es) this update affects. It initially seems to apply only to Humax boxes and indeed some of the early installs by TalkTalk used these. However, they mainly use Huawei so this would only seem to apply to a sub-group of TT customers.

Can you clarify if the update applies to both Humax and Huawei boxes or only to Humax so that those TT customers with Huawei boxes are warned it does not apply to them?

redchiz

• 1162 Posts
  • 194 Likes
Did you get a Humax box from TalkTalk? I thought they only used these when they were doing their internal trials.

Peter Wells

• 671 Posts
  • 57 Likes
No but I believe they issued Humax boxes early on when they did not have enough supplies of Huaweis. One their support site they give the operating instructions for both.

Piers, Official Rep

• 558 Posts
  • 194 Likes
It was for internal trials only (if at all). I'm sure they do have some Humax boxes on the network, but the software on those boxes doesn't yet support TalkTalk Live TV boosts, so it's not suitable for most TalkTalk TV customers.

Piers, Official Rep

• 558 Posts
  • 194 Likes
Hi Peter - "Talk Talk YouView boxes" are currently made by Huawei but supplied and branded by TalkTalk. These boxes are not part of the initial update, and we haven't had a date yet from TalkTalk for their roll-out.

But any TalkTalk ISP customers who are using Humax retail boxes (or even BT Humax boxes) will get the update over the next 2 weeks.

Peter Wells

• 655 Posts
  • 54 Likes
Hi Piers

That is how I read it but there are two interpretations which perhaps you could make clearer?

Second, I clicked on the link you give to TalkTalk but that only leads to their generic help page with some not easy to follow links to get the information on the update (I tried and got nowhere). Anything more specific?

Piers, Official Rep

• 558 Posts
  • 194 Likes
I've just edited to add the word Huawei.

The link to TalkTalk website is the one we've been asked to use, so I can't change that. Their OCEs might know more nearer the time:

http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums...

Nick

• 245 Posts
  • 45 Likes
Thought there was a reason why our Humax retail box hasn't found the update yet! Always a bridesmaid never a bride... :)

majones

• 23 Posts
  • 3 Likes
It is a worry that YouView needs TalkTalk to agree to an update of their box. The Reciva internet radio business was undermined big-time by manufacturers/distributors not agreeing to firmware updates. I hope that YouView have control of this issue, and the final say.