Getting 'YVM104' error message when trying to access On Demand players

• Problem
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • Acknowledged
Well emailed support no answer.

Every time I access on demand players I get error message ym104.

I have to select the guide/change channel first then it works after that message.

Any suggestions?

Plus BBC 1 & 2 vanish weekly.

Frank

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Madcotto

• 541 Posts
  • 86 Likes
i had yvm104 error when first setting up, it sorted itself with a box reset by pressing the button on the box for 8 seconds. hope this sorts yours.

Technogran

• 149 Posts
  • 37 Likes
It might help Frank Madcotto if you stated which button to press, the one at the back or the front one. Just saying....

Madcotto

• 541 Posts
  • 86 Likes
sorry if was any confusion as im only aware of one button and that's on the front. the one on the back is a power switch, but will admit idk if there is another reset button on the back

Frank

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Likes
Well if its any help didn't even know there was a button lol thanks will try it.

Jesse

• 259 Posts
  • 27 Likes
Hi Frank. We’re sorry to hear you’re experiencing some issues. Have you seen this entry in our FAQ http://www.youview.com/support/kb/res...? It may help to solve your problem. Let us know how you get on.

Just letting you know that we’ve changed the title of this thread to make it easier for people to find. Please let us know if you think we’ve misunderstood the purpose of your post.

Frank

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Likes
No problems thanks.

Done everything and restart still get the error message though, its works 100% when I go back to the guide and change the channel. Once using it the streaming is 100% no lag, downloads quickly. Its also wired and everything else is working.

I will give virgin a call see if they have any suggestions.

Dave

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Likes
Hi

I get the same problem specifically after watching on an on demand program. When I subsequently click the i (information button) or try to go into the on demand menu. I can fix this by rebooting the box.

Martin

• 1098 Posts
  • 131 Likes
I get this after watching 4oD but never with iPlayer.

I find it resolves itself without rebooting though - I tend to pop into the EPG and press (i) on any random show and then go back the players or search.

It's like something in some of the players is closing the web connection - or possibly NOT closing it so the box can't re-assign it to another service?

Dave

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Likes
I was testing this again after posting earlier and it seems to resolve after changing the channel. If I leave it on the same channel and go into the epg and press (i) it still does the same thing. I'll do some more thorough testing on it tomorrow.

ExBBCcoder

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Likes
+1 on the YVM104 error.

Seen this on a BT router and my Virgin connected Buffalo router at home.

It's caused by the YouView box dropping the connection to the router. Check your router firmware connections' status page.

It happens after around 5 mins of inactivity with the main YouView UI, ie. when you're interacting with an on-demand app. Seems to effect search as well as On Demand players section.

Looking forward to a fix for this cause it's really irritating.

Josh

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Likes
Yes, agreed. I'm looking forward to this being fixed. I'm using a Virgin SuperHub and I reported this a while back, but even with the September update this has not been resolved. No other devices on my network have this issue.

The only way I can (sometimes, but not always) resolve this is by unplugging my network cable to the YouView box, waiting for the 'YouView cannot connect to your router' banner to appear, and then reconnect again.

Josh

Technogran

• 149 Posts
  • 37 Likes
I'm not certain that this will work for you, but I have not been able to access any of the players via my Huawei HG532 until today when I decided to try and swop the Ethernet cable from the unit to the router. It's worked for me, I can now access all of the players again, so its worth a try.

Steve P

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Likes
I have this problem as well. I haven't been able to access the On Demand section for about 3 weeks. It says "Sorry that's not working... search for YVM104".

I've been through everything listed on the YVM104 page.

On the system information page it says it's connected to the internet and the software versions are:
Last Updates 20 July 2012
Manufacturer software: 7.7.10
Component software: 1.0.10
Platform configuration: 210
ISP configuration: 1

If I try going to the software update page, it says it last checked 29 Sept 2012. Pressing get update makes it respond "You currently have the latest YouView software installed". Which is odd, because I've monitored the network, and it isn't checking for a software update (see later).

I've tried both auto and manual network configuration. It seems to be happy with automatic, but with manual it says "Sorry, YouView couldn't find your wired broadband connection". In either case the Network Connection Status shows as connected.

Since it seems to be connected, but not working, I've tried using wireshark to see what's going on. The box gets an IP address over DHCP, but then produces no further traffic. Including when trying to access the ondemand section, or pressing the get software update button. The strange thing is though, it does respond to ping requests from anywhere else on the network.

If I unplug the network cable I get a banner saying "Sorry YouView couldn't connect to your router... search for YVM102". When it's plugged back in it says "YouView is connected to the internet again".

I've also tried changing the IP address the router assigns to the box. The box takes the different address, and responds to ping, but still doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Steve

Trevor Stokes

• 24 Posts
  • 11 Likes
Steve, a stupid question, but have you switched the box off and on again?
From what you say I would make sure that you re-boot the machine.

Steve P

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Likes
Yes

Niall Fraser

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Likes
Hi Steve, I have had exactly the same the same problem for 3 weeks, (same software versions) youview support talked me through various internet settings and finally asked me to put the box into maintenance mode - if you search you will find instructions. When I tried this I got a message saying "invalid signature - boot failed". Youview advised me to contact Humax, I phoned them twice and emailed twice - no replies to the emails, and I was told on each phone call that they would investigate and call me back, but no one ever did. After 2 weeks I tried phoning again and said that I wasn't happy with the lack of response. This time the operator said that he would exchange the box. This is due to happen on Tuesday and I will report whether it fixed the issue.

Niall

red snow

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Like
I had this issue also.My router that the youview box connects to had specific DNS IP addresses set for the DHCP scopes. They were 8.8.8.8 (Google public DNS) and secondary was the IP of the router.

To resolve the youview issue, I have setup Youview box network settings manually (not using DHCP). I've set a static IP address and set the primary DNS IP as IP of the router and the secondary DNS IP of 8.8.8.8

Since this I've not had the error.

Mark

peter gaines

• 1 Post
  • 0 Likes
I manually assigned a static ip and mine works fine now also. I had to do the same in my router though. But its flawless now

Niall Fraser

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Likes
My replacement box arrived today from Humax - and I now have on demand working again. I also checked that the box could access the maintenance mode ok. Apart from the initial lack of response from Humax, I was impressed with the replacement process. I had agreed today as the replacement date with Humax, and received a text yesterday from DPD asking if I wanted to keep this date or change it. This morning I received a text saying it would be delivered between 1155 and 1255 and again gave the option to change the date. The driver arrived at 1200 and had a plastic crate containing the replacement youview box. No accessories, just the youview box. He gave me the new one and I put the old one in the cardboard box from the new one, which he then sealed in the plastic crate, and took away.
I plugged in the new box, which did a channel scan, then connected to the internet and downloaded the latest software. I was was then able to get my on demand content, for the first time in almost 4 weeks.
Thanks to Youview Support for their initial help and thanks to Humax for eventually resolving the issue.

Niall

robert.inkson

• 73 Posts
  • 4 Likes
i got the youview box last Thurs,it said it was connected to internet [ethernet] but could not get on demand,i followed the above reply[pressed power button for 8 secs,and it worked,but today[sat] bt vision was fine but on demand and the information button didn't work again.i hope this doesn't happen every couple of days and either youview or humax gets a fix,bt had'nt got a clue how to sort it but did say it was happening to other customers.

Jesse

• 259 Posts
  • 27 Likes
Hi Robert. We can’t help with this one but you should try raising it over on the BT Community forums where you can get peer to peer support on its products and services: http://bt.com/community

Andrew Marlow

• 63 Posts
  • 6 Likes
I reckon that YVM104 is the most serious problem with the machine, since it renders On Demand almost completely useless. Without On Demand the YV machine is reduced to a simple recorder and there are loads of those on the market for much less than 300 pounds. If it wasn't for the fact that as a trialist I got my box for free, I would have got a refund now just on the grounds of YVM104.

Every time I raised the issue of YVM104 I got the same reactions that you did; have you tried rebooting the machine, the router, try a different cable, try using s fixed IP address, try a different router etc etc. These suggestions did not make YVM104 go away for you or me. You might as well stand on one leg whilst meditating for all the difference it will make.

It is NOT to do with the broadband service, even though the so-called support and other users, might suggest this. I can use NetFlix with no problem whilst making heavy use of the internet with streaming video and torrent downloads at the same time. NetFlix copes just fine, YV doesnt cope at all. Using the internet heavily like this does seem to make YVM104 happen even more often but YVM104 happens at the drop of a hat with a completely quiet network too, as I am sure you have already discovered.

Frank

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Likes
It a terrible service with youview support ignoring it.

Pio

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Likes
Im with you on that one!

ExBBCcoder

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Likes
"I find it resolves itself without rebooting though - I tend to pop into the EPG and press (i) on any random show and then go back the players or search. "

This solution from an earlier poster works for me. Can still take 10 seconds or so to reconnect but far better than restarting the box - at least until YouView get around to looking into a permanent fix.

Gareth

• 15 Posts
  • 4 Likes
I occasionally get the YVM104 error, but only after I have watched a programme using on-demand and I have exited the on-demand player. I just accept it and carry on using the box. I use a WIFI dongle to connect to my router which you would think would cause more issues but, so far I dont experience this error very often and if I do it's of no consequence.

Paul Langdon

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Likes
I have the YVM104 error as well. BT have recognised this as an issue and have a number of users with this issue. I ave new box arriving next week. BT are suggestign that 'new' Humax boxes do not have this issue.
This is an issue for me as I am not able to get any 'On Demand' servcices.

Roy

• 3960 Posts
  • 437 Likes
@Paul

Have you get a URL for a posting on this? I would be concerned if Humax can fix this only by releasing new hardware, if I've paid nearly £300 for a boat anchor...

Martin

• 1098 Posts
  • 131 Likes
TBH sounds like BT's usual 'make up an answer' approach to customer services.

Stuart Forrest

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Likes
I also have this problem and found I have to enter maintenance mode and reset my box to get it back on. I will try holding the power button for eight seconds next time. If I switch ours off at the box and back on it gets jammed saying "nearly ready".

Paul Langdon

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Likes
Roy no posting. I will quiz the BT engineer when he arrives tom. What puzzles me is that a new box is needed rather than a software update. I have not tried resetting/maintenance 'fixes' and BT have not suggested any.
As you say a tad worrying.
P

Stuart Forrest

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Likes
I have been told by youview to call BT. I called them and they said they need to replace the box and would call me back which they failed to do. I chased them today and they now say they are going to call me back within 24 hours to make an appointment.

The fault happened twice over the weekend. The only solution for me is to enter maintenance mode and then reset without losing recordings (but you do lose or your scheduled recordings) and this takes about 45 minutes to complete. I cant see how this is hardware related but we will see.